Sign in with
Your question

Radeon HD6450 Driver Problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 4, 2013 1:20:10 PM

Hello all at Toms Hardware. :D 
I have been searching all day ever since yesterday for a solution to this. I am building a Gaming Computer and want to get Windows 8 while it is on sale for $40. So I did a clean install of Windows XP so I can upgrade to 8, but Video is in VGA Mode @ 640x480. So I put in the disc for my graphics card and everything supposedly installs, but at the end I get a warning saying 'Graphics Driver Installation Failed - Access Denied'. :whistle: 
I have gone into regedt32, HKEY, set permission, checked everything, made new user accounts, all that. Nothing seems to work. :sleep: 
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

My Specs
Windows XP Professional 32bit SP3
Msi Radeon HD6450
4GB G-SKIL Valu Ram
40GB Hitachi IDE HDD
AMD Athlon II X4 640 @3.0GHz
January 4, 2013 1:28:00 PM

Go to device manager and select display and see there is hd 6450 listed or not
January 4, 2013 1:28:05 PM

On a side note:
I used the Administrator account and an Administrator Priviledged User account.
Install Log Says:
"Driver Install: user must be a member of the Administrators group"
Related resources
January 4, 2013 1:29:25 PM

ASHISH65 said:
Go to device manager and select display and see there is hd 6450 listed or not

It shows:
"Video Controller - VGA Compatible"
And show the monitor with the yellow "!".
January 4, 2013 1:37:01 PM

The driver you're going to need for Windows 8 is going to be different than the driver needed for XP. I don't see any reason to attempt to install the XP driver if it's giving you issues. Move onto your Windows 8 install and update with the Windows 8 driver available from AMD.com.

-Wolf sends
January 4, 2013 1:47:20 PM

U need drivers for xp or 8.
January 4, 2013 1:48:59 PM

Drivers for win8 : Update OS .Automatically detect and install latest best driver and fix all issues.
Full Scan system with "SUPERANTISPYWARE" Freeware.
January 4, 2013 1:53:20 PM

Wolfshadw said:
The driver you're going to need for Windows 8 is going to be different than the driver needed for XP. I don't see any reason to attempt to install the XP driver if it's giving you issues. Move onto your Windows 8 install and update with the Windows 8 driver available from AMD.com.

-Wolf sends

I'm unable to Install Windows 8 because the screen resolution is incorrect and I am unable to see the Windows 8.
If I were to install Windows 8 on another computer and then make a disc and insert it into this one, would I be able to install Windows 8 booting from the disc with a res. higher than 640x480?
January 4, 2013 3:16:30 PM

*I meant to say I can't see the Windows 8 Installer
!