5 yr old gaming build. What should I upgrade?

savvyxstc

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
I'm looking to improve gaming performance. Tired of low FPS rates basically. Haven't touched anything computer related for awhiel so just looking for some tips!

Here are my specs:

i5-750@2.9g
8gb ram gskills sticks x4
p7p55d-e pro asus mobo
ati hd 5850 vid card (that constantly overheats and blackscreens my comp)
corsair tx750 psu
Rest are basic and irrelevant I think.

I generally play MMO'ish games like d3, gw2, ffxiv. Currently playing gw2 which I play on high ish settings but the fps isn't so great. Guess my budget would be about 400 but if gains are significant maybe 500 ish :D. I'm thinking I should upgrade my gpu first and then CPU and mobo? Not sure what I should get with that budget.

Thanks!

Solution
Get a HD7870 and see how it goes. Since you say your current graphics card overheats your PC, I'd get this one, which exhausts its heat: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161404 (assuming it will fit in your case).
Edit: If you are still unsatisfied with performance, then you can look into a CPU/Mobo upgrade, but I'm doubtful you'll need that. Having more RAM than you need isn't hurting anything. Look at your case cooling too; make sure you have decent airflow, generally front to back.
Get a HD7870 and see how it goes. Since you say your current graphics card overheats your PC, I'd get this one, which exhausts its heat: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161404 (assuming it will fit in your case).
Edit: If you are still unsatisfied with performance, then you can look into a CPU/Mobo upgrade, but I'm doubtful you'll need that. Having more RAM than you need isn't hurting anything. Look at your case cooling too; make sure you have decent airflow, generally front to back.

Solution

Nedal0

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
I'm assuming you are running 64 bit Win 7 ? Your Motherboard only supports Max. 16GB of Ram, how much do you really get to use ?

You could go with an i7 CPU, then find a GPU to match then maybe HDD as you didn't mention the current one.

savvyxstc

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
oops sorry yea I meant it as 2gbx4 sticks.

As for OC'ing I don't really want to bother since the last time I did it, my comp was unstable so I dropped it from 3.8 to 2.9gigs.
Ok so I guess I'll look into upgrading the gpu and see how it goes then do the cpu-mobo combo after.

Thanks for the tips!