Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Win7 HP Home network file sharing

Last response: in Networking
February 9, 2012 7:43:16 PM

Am I missing something? I finally got my 2 computers networked and seeing each other but when I try to share a file from comp B to comp A all I get is the data files, no .exe or application files. Can I not run a game stored on another network computer?

Best solution

a b α HP
February 9, 2012 8:46:17 PM

If you are using the homegroup, the default is just to share the public library files.

If you really want to share everything, right click on the drive to share, select properties, sharing tab, advanced sharing, and click the share this folder box. Then go to the security tab in the drive properties, edit, select add and type in "Everyone" into the add object names box. Then everyone (all computers, users) on the local network will have access to everything on the shared drive -- files, programs, everything.
February 9, 2012 8:58:31 PM

Best answer selected by DelroyMonjo.
m
l
Related resources
February 10, 2012 2:57:36 AM

thanks very much for the advice, Realbeast. I'd been tearing my hair out for days trying to figure out the sharing problem. I don't remember finding this solution anywhere in network setup info but maybe I just overlooked it.
m
l
May 14, 2013 4:12:09 PM

RealBeast said:
If you are using the homegroup, the default is just to share the public library files.

If you really want to share everything, right click on the drive to share, select properties, sharing tab, advanced sharing, and click the share this folder box. Then go to the security tab in the drive properties, edit, select add and type in "Everyone" into the add object names box. Then everyone (all computers, users) on the local network will have access to everything on the shared drive -- files, programs, everything.

m
l
May 14, 2013 4:13:08 PM

I did exactly that, no can do, nothings worked so far, giving up hope, the Dark Side beckins...
m
l
!