Need help updating my computer hardware!

Hello all - I'm trying to rebuild my computer (have a friend who can help put it together with me) but i'm not sure what I need to buy to get it working again.

I'm getting no signal when i boot it up - it started as a processor issue, so i bought a new one, then the GPU wasn't working - I still don't have a way to test that - but ultimately I think I need a new Graphics card and Motherboard.

I've tried everything under the sun to get it working (tested power supply, cleaned ram, everything hooked up correctly, etc etc - made posts about it and followed instructions - no luck)

So essentially i'm just wondering what GPU and Motherboard will fit and work with all of my equipment.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here is what i currently have.

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Western Digital WD Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ

MSI 770-G45 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

ASUS EAH4870/2DI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM

OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

AMD Athlon II X2 260 Regor 3.2GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor ADX260OCGMBOX

Thank you in advanced for all replies!
16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need updating computer hardware
  1. What is your budget?
  2. $300 - $400 probably
  3. What do you plan to do with this computer?
  4. Game - league, gw2, etc. possibly stream
  5. What parts do you plan to reuse? Your CPU is OLD and won't really keep up with modern video cards.

Do you own all the parts listed above?
  6. You're misunderstanding.

I'm re-using all parts - my computer was doing exactly what i needed it to before the no signal issue - and that was caused by me.

I just need to know what GPU and Mobo i can buy that is comparable to what I currently have/had - all other parts will be reused.

I'm not trying to update my system, just get it to it's previous form.

EDIT: Sorry - may just be my wording - "update" may have been the wrong word to use.
  7. get an hd 7770. and any am3 motherboard that has the stuff you want.
  8. Best answer
    Either of those GPUs will be perfect. Get an am3/am3+ board so you can upgrade to new CPU's in the future.
  9. Fantastic!

You've been a huge help, thank you very much.

So if i want a good low cost alternative to sort of keep up with my old set up i'm looking at

- and those should work perfectly with all of my other stuff?
  10. Yeah they sure will. Don't forget that with a new motherboard you will need to reinstall windows.
  11. Awesome.

Thank you again - you've been a big help
  12. Best answer selected by valyn.
  13. Anytime! Always glad to help.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product