CD Rom Audio, but not what your thinking

G

First let me tell you what i got.

Asus A7V kt133
Thunderbird Atholon 900
1 IDE DVD player(cheep, I dont know the brand)
1 SCSI Plextor 40X reader
the SCSI PCI card is an cheep AdvanSys ultra wide both are
having problems with CD audio.
Audio card is a cheep Soundblaster 16
Finaly I'm running WIN XP(which the error probably dirives because the system worked fine under 98.

First the scsi, will only produce a rythmic clicking sound from direct head phone jack and audio card. I have updated the firmware for CD rom and updated bios of PCI SCSI card but no help.

Second the DVD player will play the CD out he audio card but not through the direct head phone jack(no sound whatsoever).

I've got the audio wire going from the DVD to the audio card. I believe the SCSI device has something going on with analogue with audio but ......

Well tell me what you think

ChiefJoseph

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You cannot have two audio cables hooked to a single audio input, one grounds out the other. Try unhooking the CD-Audio cable from the device you use the least for playing CD's until you can afford to get a soundcard with two separate (not connected) inputs. Such cards usually have the second input labled "Auxilary" (or a dirivative, such as "Aux In").

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

I dont have both audio cables connected. I have tried both drives but now I have the audio cable connected to the DVD player. The audio cd doesnt work for my SCSI all together. But frankly I can to without the audio card right now. What I need to get working is the direct audio jack the plugs in directly(sometimes i like to listen to audio very loud and my neibors dont appriciate it through the speaker). But both of those dont work. I'm running out of ideas... The kicker is it worked fine with WIN98. So I may have to wait for specific XP Drivers........
thanks for the ideas

ChiefJoseph

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
This puzzles me simply for the fact that the front connector is not affected by software. Perhaps something got burned out in the drives, or perhaps your headphones are not working properly?

What's the frequency, Kenneth?