Gtx 680 bottlenecking?

Smashing todd

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Wolud a GTX 680 bottleneck a FX-6100 6 cores 3.4 Ghz?
My RAM is on 8 gb DDR3 1600Mhz so that's not a problem :)

Thanks in forehand (or however you say it i'm from sweden so i don't know...)!

mace200200

Honorable
I think you'd probably get a bottle neck. I'm not real fimiliar with the 6 core FX series so OCing it might be enough to stop it from bottle necking. An I5 or a 8350 would be better either way, you can always buy the card now then upgrade your CPU later, since something is always going to be a bottle neck to any system depending on what game your playing or whatever your doing.

techbaddie

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
I would imagine it would be because of your CPU...Thats just a guess though. What games are you playing? And what are you experiencing, low frames,etc?

Smashing todd

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

Well I don't have the 680 I'm currently using a sapphire 7850 2 gb but I'm thinking about upgrading... I'm a "alaround" player so no particular games :)

Smashing todd

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

Yes but the question is how far I can OC it? :/

mace200200

Honorable
Like I said Im not fimiliar with the six core but I've seen people take the 4 and 8 cores up to 4.5Ghz. With that, I think you'd be able to get it up to 4.0Ghz without to much trouble.

Smashing todd

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

Ok but what if I told you (totally not a meme) that it was really a 3.3 Ghz CPU. Would I get it up to 3.9? It said when I bought it that turbo was 3.9 but I can't find turbo mode in the BIOS so I guess that I would just overclock it to 3.9 without trouble? And yes I know that you don't know that much about 6 cores but if you could answer it would be awesome :)

Smashing todd

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

Ok thank you :) But just one thing, whats Multiplier ?

abbadon_34

Distinguished
The 6 "cores" of the 6100 are actual 3 "bulldozer modules", or pairs, similar but not quite the same as traditional pre-bulldozer cores (i.e. phenom, athlon) or intel. In some applications they perform as advertised, in this case 6, others they don't, in this case 3. As for the turbo, it is supposed to be an "automatic overclock" when under load, just like you GPU idling at a lower clock rate until needed.

While a 680 is definately more powerful than a 7850, it's not a huge upgrade and may not be worth the money at this point. And with that cpu you might not notice a real world difference except at very high resolutions on a couple games.

edit: Sorry if this does translate well to swedish, but thank you for making a valid attemp to communicate in English

mace200200

Honorable
Multiplier has to deal with your CPU frequency. I'm not an expert on it but basically it takes your core clock and multiplies it by whatever amount. My Phenom II x4 945 runs at 200Mhz times an x15 multiplier to equal 3Ghz. So, when your CPU has an unlocked multiplier it's easier to over clock because you can take the x15 and change it to x16 and just like that your running at 3.2GHz (my CPU actually has a locked multiplier it's just an example). AMD and Intel adjust this to get the different stock clocks.

Smashing todd

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

Ok once again thank you :)

Smashing todd

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

Ok I understand so should I wait untin the new generation of cards and then upgrade my CPU aswell as my GPU?

abbadon_34

Distinguished
I'm trying hard not pass judgement on existing hardware purchases and decisions, that's another thread :) Unless money is no object, or there is a specific gaming issues you wish to address, I'd think you best be served waiting a couples months (very rare I say this). Your suggested upgrade is from middle-high to high of the current generation of GPUs. Unless you tell by you're game at 2560x1600, eyefinity, or 3d (where Sli/Crossfire would barely cut is) I wouldn't be too concerned with ths minor graphics upgrade.

If you're itching to spend money, replace the 6100 with a 8320 and overclock, or investigte water cooling options (sweden, snow? don't know). In 3-6 months we have better idea and the new lineup, and all the old choices will be much cheaper.

Smashing todd

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

So upgrade my CPU to a FX8320 and wait with upgrading my GPU until the new generation of cards? (sorry if I'm being slow)

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Sorry if my posts don't translate well to Swedish. Basically, without giving us a specific problem, your system is pretty modern and balanced. If you feel the overwhelming NEED to UPGRADE NOW, an FX8320 overclock to 8350 levels is close to an i5, but better encoding and multithreading performance. I mention water cooling just as fun project, not as a solution to a need, some people just enjoy tinkering.

Simply put, sure, why not.

Smashing todd

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

Ok thank you :) But I don't think I will be choosing water cooling just because of the risk of it breaking and me ending up without a working PC :)