Sign in with
Your question

Buy the GTX 690? Nvidia questions...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2013 8:27:33 PM

Hello. Recently I've been able to get some money together and was planning on upgrading my GPU again. In particular had my eyes on the Nvidia Geforce GTX 690 as it is pretty beastly in every aspect I can think of. However, since it's now almost a year old and I've read that AMD will be releasing the HD 8000 series early this year (Q1 I think) so I'd imagine Nvidia will be following suit shortly after... So I was left wondering whether I should wait for the new cards to come out or dish out on the 690?

When can we expect the GTX 700 series to come out?
Will there be a double GPU model like 590/690?
Are the double GPU cards typically released simultaneously with the regular ones or later on?

If you have any ideas, well-educated guesses or personal opinions then I'd like to hear them. :D 

a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 4, 2013 10:34:32 PM

well...wait up if you can.
the price of the 690 will also drop significantly after amd releases the 8000 series.

for the dual gpu part...it mostly depends on company's wish.these cards are mostly released a little later as it is the vendors who make them.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 4, 2013 10:58:50 PM

GTX700 is probably March-May, but no guarantees. A dual-GPU model is likely, but again, not a certainty. Why is it you want dual-GPU? I bought a 5970 (thought dual-GPU would be awesome) but it was a complete letdown.

Some games are actually worse on it than a low-end single-GPU card, but I didn't have the option to disable one GPU.

Dual GTX670s will be same speed and only use slightly more power, but far cheaper to buy. I'd wait for GTX700 if you can though.
Related resources
January 4, 2013 11:19:25 PM

sam_p_lay said:

Some games are actually worse on it than a low-end single-GPU card, but I didn't have the option to disable one GPU.

If you can recall, what games particularly gave you issues with the 690? Does dual GPU really offer the same problems as SLI/xFire?
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2013 8:37:59 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm gaming on a 2560x1440 monitor and find that single GPUs just can't handle some games very well at that resolution. Hence why I'm upgrading again. Sure I could just go for 2 single GPU cards but my current PSU is 850W so I might have to upgrade that as well and I also have some issues with fan noise.

Looking at some benchmarks the GTX 690 seems to have an incredibly lower power consumption, temperatures and noise in comparison to even after market 2-way SLI.
a c 144 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 5, 2013 9:31:30 AM

Quote:
However, since it's now almost a year old and I've read that AMD will be releasing the HD 8000 series early this year (Q1 I think)

690 is not even close to a year lol. nvidia launch the card around may last year. about the HD8k series the stories so far suggesting amd looking for 2013 Q2 to launch the next series.

Quote:
When can we expect the GTX 700 series to come out?

so far rumor suggesting around late Q1 or early Q2. so right now most people expecting both amd and nvidia might release their next gen around the same time. some other suspecting nvidia might come even later if amd decides to launch theirs in Q2 because that's how it is if you look the trend since amd HD5k series/nvidia 400 series.

Quote:
Will there be a double GPU model like 590/690?

it depends on their tech to make such a card possible. the major concern about dual gpu cards has always been power consumption. for example nvidia did not make dual gpu card during 400 series era because it is hard to do so with GF100 high power consumption. this time around amd decides to leave the 7990 development to their board partners which means there is no official support from amd regarding 7990.

Quote:
Are the double GPU cards typically released simultaneously with the regular ones or later on?

normally they come much later after the single flagship being announced.

anxiousinfusion said:
If you can recall, what games particularly gave you issues with the 690? Does dual GPU really offer the same problems as SLI/xFire?

he talks about his older 5970. btw dual gpu are just the same as SLI/CFX. the only difference is dual gpu put both the core on one pcb and the latter are using two different PCB connected via SLI/CF bridge.

hizodge said:
Thanks for the replies. I'm gaming on a 2560x1440 monitor and find that single GPUs just can't handle some games very well at that resolution. Hence why I'm upgrading again. Sure I could just go for 2 single GPU cards but my current PSU is 850W so I might have to upgrade that as well and I also have some issues with fan noise.

680 isn't like GTX580. so 850w should be more than enough for 2 680. actually even 2 580 should do fine with 850w PSU. about the fan noise it depends on what type of cooler being used on the card. so you might want to dig some review from cards with custom cooler such as gigabyte wind force, msi twin frozr, asus DC II and the like.

hizodge said:

Looking at some benchmarks the GTX 690 seems to have an incredibly lower power consumption, temperatures and noise in comparison to even after market 2-way SLI.

tha't the magic that nvidia did to 690. i think that's also one of the reason amd canned the idea to compete with dual gpu for this gen and leave the decision to release dual gpu solution entirely to their partnes
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 5, 2013 9:57:05 AM

Haha wow... that was a post. Well, +1 :-) I think you have your best answer there!
!