Been 5 years since I built a computer, how does this look?

bmonroe

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
Hello,

Its been a while since I built anything, pcpartpicker is a lifesaver. I was lucky enough to have you guys recommend my last build, and with a few replacements it has survived enough to be my kid's computer.

Anyway, here is what I was looking at and this is pretty much my budget (~1200 USD with OS and keyboard/mouse, which I am picky about so those two have to stay). Does this look viable? I use my computer to game, everything from crysis to the taxing dungeons of dredmore. Will be running on a monster 1920x1080 42" 1080p.

[strike]http://pcpartpicker.com/p/F7fS[/strike]

Any comments or easy switches?

Thanks so much for any help.

Here is the link with the modifications

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/F8kF

and a link with intel vs AMD

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/F8pB

You dont need 16 gig of RAM to game
2 x 4 gig is more than enough

The water cooler is marginal . There are air coolers just as good . Use one of those or upgrade to the corsair H100i

The msi G46 motherboard is an update of the G45 which had problems including even catching on fire . There are some complaints in the newegg reviews saying similar things happened to the g46
The Asus M5A97 evo is the best bd for a single graphics card .

The PNY GTX 670 uses the reference cooler . Other solutions will be cooler and run quieter

Youd need a 600 watt psu

bmonroe

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
Thanks, will make a couple of changes.

I saw that video about the intel vs AMD and also from what I saw online benchmarks I didn't see a huge difference for the price. But if I save some on the other parts it may work out.

Off to change the list. Thanks.

CheesyHotDogPuff

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
+1 to the guy get the asus evo. Again, you don't need 16 gigs of ram, 8 is enough. The one time I used almost used 8 gigs is when I was playing skyrim, downloading 5 files that were more then 500mb, and had +100 browser tabs at once. I might recommend
evga, but PNY was a major gpu brand a bit ago, great service so It's fine. Don't get a cooler master, they have a nasty tendency make fireworks. Xfx, silverstone, seasonic, corsair (Not the cx series) and Antec make good psus. Other then that, I can't find any bad qualitys about that build. Some people may recommend intel, but real world it doesn't make a huge difference. Besides, in 2 years if your fx-3850 is feeling a little slow, you can get the new piledriver or bulldozer will be am3+ when they come out. A simple BIOS update and bam, you don't need to replace mobo.

bmonroe

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
Switched the cooler to a corsair but the one you mention is a bit out of my price range. The one I picked has the highest rating on newegg.

Dropped the RAM down

Will look at changing the PS

The motherboard you list is nearly double what my current one costs. Is there that much of a gain? How often are we talking fires? 2-3 out of 100k? Are there any lower price options?

CheesyHotDogPuff

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012

The psu, mobo, and maybe hdd are the most important part of your computer. You can't skimp on the. The asus in known to have much better quality then the msi. BTW little tip, drop down to a 8320 and bring it back up to the 4ghz of the 8350 or maybe more, they are the same thing except for clock speed. bring overclock it up to 8350 speeds.

bmonroe

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
Changed the PS to a corsair. I assume you were talking about the PS fireworks not the case?

And as for the two years, this only needs to last me about that much time. 16 months before residency and fellowship is over and I buy something stupid expensive.

bmonroe

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011

Fair enough, unfortunately the Asus M5A97 EVO is not in stock at any of the stores listed including amazon. Is there something specific about the EVO?

How is the
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard?

Gigabyte at least used to be reputable and it has a high newegg review, I could squeeze that into the budget without wife attempted murder.

lucidrainbow

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
The 8320s apparently do not overclock as well... just an FYI... still overclockable, though...
As for your HDD, wait for a bit. I usually see those at 69.99 from Newegg, so that seems really expensive to me...

bmonroe

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011

You must have caught the website on a price refresh. The HDD is 62.99 now. Must have beent he midnight sales change.

CheesyHotDogPuff

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012

If you dropped to a fx-8320 you could squeeze in the evo. the reason why you can't find it is they did a revision of the pcb, and they re-realesed it on newegg. Here- Look, it's even less then the original. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131873

CheesyHotDogPuff

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012

Cooler has the same performance as the other one. I say amd, because the upgrade path will be more clear in the future. (New cpus will use same socket.)

bmonroe

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
Hmm so that cooler is crappy too. Any recs on a good cheap one? Again it doesn't have to be water, just effective. The water ones were just lower profile so I was looking at those since my last computer barely fit in the case with my massive heat sink.