Is this a good $1,500 gaming PC build?

nikoooo

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Hi, I'm a noob when it comes to PCs and I would like to know if this would be a good build for $1,500 or if I could do better (it also has some peripherals like the mouse and keyboard), thanks.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 - $189.99
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 - $59.99
Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme4 - $149.99
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3-1600MHz - $94.99
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 7200RPM - $59.49
SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB - $124.95
GFX: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition - $251.98
Case: Corsair 650D ATX Mid Tower - $149.93
PSU: Corsair AX750 - $149.99
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer - $18.98
Keyboard: Razer DeathStalker Wired - $79.99
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Wired Optical - $50.97
Total: $1,500.24
Will this build/setup be good for playing games such as Counter-Strike, Crysis, Battlefield, Alan Wake, and all the current games today?
How much FPS or how well would this rig run on games such as Crysis 3 on max settings?
How long will this rig last until I need to build a new one?
Would I need to replace a part such as the GFX card or CPU later?
Will the prices on each of these components drop in 1 year?
If so, give a guess how much if you can :D
Should I go with the AMD FX-8350 or i5 3570k?
Any tips you could give me for my first time building?
I WILL overclock my CPU, would my CPU cooler be enough for 4.5ghz?
Recommended builds?
This computer will not JUST be used for gaming but it mostly will.
Thanks in advance and I will be hoping to build this year towards the end of the year :D

Solution
If you are waiting till the end of the year, then most of these parts will be outdated. Not useless, but something newer, and faster will have taken their price point. I'll settle for just critiquing your build.

If you are spending 1500(or 1250 for just the case components) you will be wanting an Intel build. Right now that would be the 3570k Cpu. When you buy the parts, that will have been replaced by the 4570k Haswell Cpu.

16gb's of Ram is overkill. Save some money, and get 8gb's of dual channel ram.

I'm sure the Cpu cooler would be fine, but you could get most of the performance and spend half the money, or spend the money and get better performance. Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo for the former, and Noctua NH-D14 for the...
If you are waiting till the end of the year, then most of these parts will be outdated. Not useless, but something newer, and faster will have taken their price point. I'll settle for just critiquing your build.

If you are spending 1500(or 1250 for just the case components) you will be wanting an Intel build. Right now that would be the 3570k Cpu. When you buy the parts, that will have been replaced by the 4570k Haswell Cpu.

16gb's of Ram is overkill. Save some money, and get 8gb's of dual channel ram.

I'm sure the Cpu cooler would be fine, but you could get most of the performance and spend half the money, or spend the money and get better performance. Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo for the former, and Noctua NH-D14 for the latter.

There are many better options for a SSD. I believe the Crucial M4 series is a popular choice right now.

Cases are mainly a matter of personal preference, I'd wager however that you could find something you like just as much, with as good or better performance for around the 100 dollar mark.

You can find many PSU's rated at 750w for much less money. I'm using an OCZ 750w Fatal1ty PSU(tier 2) that ended up costing me 65 dollars. And it's semi-modular as well.

With all of the savings in money, you can afford to spend more on the video card. I'd recommend many of the radeon 7970(non-ghz edition) cards out there right now. You'll see much better performance by allocating more money on that one particular part.

I will not recommend any Razer mouse. They have an annoying habit of double-clicking when you make a single mouse click. Read reviews on newegg about them. It's not hoax or a lie, I've owned mine for less than 6 months and I already need to send it back for a replacement because of that very same problem.

Solution

nikoooo

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll be taking this into great consideration as I will be buying the components at the end of the year. Will wait for some new and faster components, thanks!