Certain games stuttering w/ no FPS drop, only in fullscreen

trilogique

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
this is a copy & paste from Tech Spot, as I couldn't get a clear answer on what the issue is there. I'm starting to think it's my GPU, but I can't be sure.

hey dudes.

got a small tech problem and hoping you guys know what the problem is. ever since I built my computer last year I've noticed a lot of my games stutter when my character is moving. I've noticed this in Sleeping Dogs and Path of Exile most notably, but other games like The Witcher 2 and Chivalry: Medieval Warfare as well. the screen seems to stutter for a millisecond every 2 or so seconds, or sometimes every second. occasionally it'll just stop completely (as in it won't stutter at all). my FPS is staying a constant 60 though. no dips in FPS at all. it's like the game is skipping a frame or something.

anyone have a clue what it is? it's not ruining my games, but the stuttering is pretty frustrating.

also my specs:

8GB RAM
2GB HIS 6950
i5 2500k factory settings

EDIT: okay so I've noticed this issue does not happen in windowed mode or fullscreen windowed.

EDIT 2: when recording in Fraps the issue stops completely in some games (Path of Exile) and is greatly decreased in others (Sleeping Dogs)

here's the video showing off a little bit of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JZJgEmKlU0the

the beginning is where it's mostly at and the big stutter at 0:14~ is just an FPS drop, but the rest is the stuttering issue I'm getting. if you look at the environments in relation to my character moving it seems to skip a frame.

so far I've uninstalled my antivirus, ran a couple cleaners and done the HDD diagnostic/repair that windows provides. additionally my drivers are all up to date. running out of issues here and I'm just hoping my issue is not because my GPU is permanently screwed.

thanks.

trilogique

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
vsync being off fixes the problem however I get screen tearing in certain games.

how would I go about checking my HDD's usage, or is vsync being off fixing the problem a good indicator? I mean is there a way to keep vsync on and avoid the stutter? because the screen tearing is far more intrusive than the stutter.

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

Im guessing it's a GPU driver problem, reinstall your AMD's driver... if you know how vSync works than it's likely the GPU/Driver...