Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Closed

Old Graphics Card in a New Desktop for S-Video?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Video
  • Desktops
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
January 4, 2013 11:10:30 PM

Hello, this is my first post at Tom's Hardware, so let's see how this goes :D 

Anyways, for Christmas I got a new HP Pavilion P7 1436s Desktop computer. The only two integrated graphics outputs are A VGA, which I use for my monitor, and a DVI, which isn't being currently used. I like to watch videos, such as Netflix or Hulu, on my computer with my TV as my secondary monitor, but my TV is rather dated, and only has S-Video and RCA inputs on the back. This hadn't been a problem, as my old desktop (Now defunct) had an ATI card with an S-Video out. I still have the card, now out of my older system, and I was wondering if it would be possible for me to install it into my new desktop in order to display to my TV, whilst still being able to run games and programs on my monitor using my integrated graphics, which are far superior. If anyone has any ideas or alternatives, please reply.

Thanks,
Josh Mathews

More about : graphics card desktop video

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2013 8:01:55 PM

You could try with an adapter to use your ATI card on the new pc's motherboard. Depending on what type (PCI or AGP) your ATI card is, you can use an adapter with PCIe x 16 or X 2 pins, and on top of that you'd mount the old ATI card (mounting bracket removed).

Use the google image finder to search for the appropriate card image so you'll get a good idea of what you need... google for: "PCIe x 16 (or x 1) to PCI Adapter"... check the results I got:
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en-USX&gbv=2&gs_l=heirl...(or+x1)+to+PCI+Adapter&tbm=isch&spell=1

Your motherboard probably includes the following PCIe slots:
1. PCI Express x16 (Gen 2.0)
3. PCI Express x1 (Gen 2.0)
1. PCI Express Mini Card (Gen 2.0)

Once you're sure of the type adapter you need, buy only one that includes the drivers CD to avoid driver problems.

http://www.amfeltec.com/products/adapters.phpFor PCI on PCIe x 1
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2013 8:24:17 PM

if you could just tell what model is your ati card...it would be much easier to answer you better
I presume your case is an agp or pci card
you are most likely to get a pci slot on your mainboard in which case you are good to go...and if it is an agp card,you will have to buy a converter for it.
Score
Related resources
January 6, 2013 2:21:40 AM

Thanks, my old card is a PCI card, from what I can gather it's an ATI 8964 Ver: 110 out of my old Dell Dimension 8400.
And you're sure it won't interfere/lower my systems performance by primarily processing through the PCI card?
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2013 5:53:44 AM

joshtmathews said:
Thanks, my old card is a PCI card, from what I can gather it's an ATI 8964 Ver: 110 out of my old Dell Dimension 8400.
And you're sure it won't interfere/lower my systems performance by primarily processing through the PCI card?

In the first place the PCI wouldn't be primarily processing if you only need it to connect to TV. The primary video card would be the integrated card... And second, your new system has power and speed to spare...

And if you should encounter any problems, you can allways get a PCIe card with S-Video at eBay for a few bucks... and maybe even with twice the power. Check these cards now being offered
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=...
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2013 11:02:14 AM

no it won't...you can always use the i gpu as your primary gpu.
just ensure that the gpu setting in your BIOS is set to integrated graphics and not otherwise
Score
January 6, 2013 1:13:06 PM

Okay then, haha, thanks
I'm not that well versed in graphics hardware, as I deal mostly with software myself.
Anyways, I'll give it a try. :) 
Score
January 6, 2013 1:13:28 PM

Best answer selected by joshtmathews.
Score