BOOTMGR Missing?

A boot manager starts the operating system

Its telling you you have no operating system

so why didnt the install of XP work?
do you have a SATA hard drive , and XP before SP2?

Is there an option to reset the sata ports to Native IDE mode in BIOS?

Alternatively learn how to install a sata driver using a floppy disk

ChaosAD

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
How many hard drives do you have plugged in? I've had this problem in the past and it turned out that because I had 2 hard drives plugged in it installed everything on one drive and bootmgr on the other drive and when I unplugged the spare drive I lost the bootmgr and ended up formatting the computer and re-installing windows with only one drive plugged in

This XP disk

Is it a genuine MS Disk? If it was it should say that it is SP2 [ or whatever] so Im assuming that it is a "backup"copy

Its possible ChaosAD is correct

But its also possible your DVD is not a bootable ISO because the person who burned it did it incorrectly

camohanna

Distinguished

I have only one hdd in it. It is possible that it had two hdd's before i got it as it is an old server.

camohanna

Distinguished

I put it in my main rig and it autoplayed and everything. I hvae wiped the hdd and there is nothing one it.

SHO_ONE

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

OP... this might sound like a stupid quesiton, but have you checked within the BIOS that you have the dvd / cd drive as the 1st boot option? I just resolved this same very issue on a buddies computer. He had some how damaged his boot loader / mng and once in the BIOS I switched his DVD drive to boot first and off we were! In our case it was a mear repair in your's an install of course... Hope that helps!