Sign in with
Your question
Solved

BOOTMGR Missing?

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
February 22, 2013 6:47:31 AM

Just tried to boot up an old computer and came up with this error, googled it and no help =/

More about : bootmgr missing

a c 136 B Homebuilt system
February 22, 2013 7:17:57 AM

there is no boot manager found

check in BIOS that its detecting the hard drives

if its got a floppy drive make sure there is nothing in the drive

what is the OS ?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 22, 2013 7:23:47 AM

It has none, i wiped the hdd on my other computer and tried a fresh install of xp. BOIS detects hdd.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 22, 2013 7:57:32 AM

A boot manager starts the operating system

Its telling you you have no operating system

so why didnt the install of XP work?
do you have a SATA hard drive , and XP before SP2?

Is there an option to reset the sata ports to Native IDE mode in BIOS?

Alternatively learn how to install a sata driver using a floppy disk
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 22, 2013 9:07:27 AM

I have put the xp install disk in and it thinks about it for a bit then says BOOTMGR Missing. I do have a sata hdd. Im sure XP is sp2.
m
l
February 22, 2013 11:52:32 AM

How many hard drives do you have plugged in? I've had this problem in the past and it turned out that because I had 2 hard drives plugged in it installed everything on one drive and bootmgr on the other drive and when I unplugged the spare drive I lost the bootmgr and ended up formatting the computer and re-installing windows with only one drive plugged in
m
l
February 22, 2013 4:09:58 PM

This XP disk

Is it a genuine MS Disk? If it was it should say that it is SP2 [ or whatever] so Im assuming that it is a "backup"copy

Its possible ChaosAD is correct

But its also possible your DVD is not a bootable ISO because the person who burned it did it incorrectly
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 22, 2013 7:13:39 PM

ChaosAD said:
How many hard drives do you have plugged in? I've had this problem in the past and it turned out that because I had 2 hard drives plugged in it installed everything on one drive and bootmgr on the other drive and when I unplugged the spare drive I lost the bootmgr and ended up formatting the computer and re-installing windows with only one drive plugged in

I have only one hdd in it. It is possible that it had two hdd's before i got it as it is an old server.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 22, 2013 7:15:23 PM

Outlander_04 said:
This XP disk

Is it a genuine MS Disk? If it was it should say that it is SP2 [ or whatever] so Im assuming that it is a "backup"copy

Its possible ChaosAD is correct

But its also possible your DVD is not a bootable ISO because the person who burned it did it incorrectly

I put it in my main rig and it autoplayed and everything. I hvae wiped the hdd and there is nothing one it.
m
l

Best solution

February 22, 2013 8:16:56 PM

Re-install windows on it and it'll work fine :) 
a b B Homebuilt system
February 22, 2013 8:22:30 PM

ChaosAD said:
Re-install windows on it and it'll work fine :) 

Thats what i am trying to do :)  But it just keeps saying BOOTMGR is Missing.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 22, 2013 8:24:31 PM

I have a feeling it might be to do with the dvd drive not reading the disk. Ill try my other dvd drive for my main rig in it and see if it makes a difference.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 22, 2013 8:43:15 PM

Well, what do i know. It worked. That dvd drive was not reading it correctly. Thanks for your help guys :) 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 22, 2013 8:43:45 PM

Best answer selected by camohanna.
m
l
February 22, 2013 8:44:57 PM

camohanna said:
Just tried to boot up an old computer and came up with this error, googled it and no help =/

OP... this might sound like a stupid quesiton, but have you checked within the BIOS that you have the dvd / cd drive as the 1st boot option? I just resolved this same very issue on a buddies computer. He had some how damaged his boot loader / mng and once in the BIOS I switched his DVD drive to boot first and off we were! In our case it was a mear repair in your's an install of course... Hope that helps!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 22, 2013 9:20:30 PM

Yeah, it was on first boot priority. Its as i have fixed it now and am actually sending this message on that computer.
m
l
!