About Knights of the Old Republic

hey guys, i have service pak 2 for Windows XP Media center, standard 1G unit
with its X300 SE ATI Raedon video chip, meeting mininum requirements for the
game Knights of the old Republic... it seems everytime i get into a combat
session in the game (ever other session works) my computer makes a funny
sound (like a dead car try to turn over) and then reboots into safety mode..
any reason?

Hi D,

"infamous D" <infamous D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5A16B91D-248F-44B6-916D-9D11CDD936E5@microsoft.com...
| hey guys, i have service pak 2 for Windows XP Media center, standard 1G unit
| with its X300 SE ATI Raedon video chip, meeting mininum requirements for the
| game Knights of the old Republic... it seems everytime i get into a combat
| session in the game (ever other session works) my computer makes a funny
| sound (like a dead car try to turn over) and then reboots into safety mode..
| any reason?

Your system is most likely restarting as a result of a STOP error.

To stop this behavior go to Control Panel / System / Advanced /
Click the Startup and Recovery Settings button / Uncheck the box
labelled "Automatically restart" under the System Failure section.

To analyze the error, try the steps in: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

If the error indicates a file name that begins with ati, or nv (nVidia)
the most likely solution would be to install the latest drivers using
the instructions at: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html#drivers

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

Can also be:

1) Over-heating condition. 3D games make the video card and processor run
"extremely" hot.

2) Power supply does not provide enough power. Especially with the newer
enhanced video cards, which require addition power from the power supply
unit
(PSU)