How long will my PC Be valid for gaming?

KritikalGamer

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
So I was wondering how long my PC will last for gaming. I know the processors a bit old, but at my monitors native res. I can run BF3 Maxed out.
SPECS:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Q6600 OC'd to 3.0Ghz
GFX Card: EVGA GTX 650 Ti
RAM: 3GB DDR2 @400Mhz
Monitor: Asus 1366x768 Generic
PSU: Coolermaster Extreme 500W
Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit
Please Respond, A.S.A.P.

well since the phenom II x4s are still a good cpu, the core 2 quads should be too, and that gpu should be more than enough even at 1080p but not maxed. What might get u in performance in lets say bf3 is only 3gb of ram and it being ddr2 @ 400mhz. I dont remember if the core 2 quads with the motherboard can support ddr3, but id recommend if u can doing a new motherboard with ddr3 support if possible and 8gb or else should last a year or two, just matters on what game and setting u want to play on, i mean that gpu wouldnt max out bf3 at 1080p

Well your Core2 DUO honestly is on its last legs in terms of being able to play games at a high level. Your card is really perfect for what your CPU will be able to push out and that comes in the issue. I would say you will probably get maybe a year and maybe a little longer before games start to really tax your system. Your CPU is 4+ years old which you are aware of and you are using DDR2 memory which is old. You will in the future find moving up to windows 7 64 bit a worth while investment and getting 8 gigabytes of ddr3 or ddr4 depending on when you upgrade.

Its a Core 2 Quad q6600

If you stay at 1366x768 resolution you probably have 1 1/2 - 2 more years. I consulted my crystal ball(to say nobody really knows the future). The Q6600 was an awesome CPU in 2007 but it already is and will become a huge limiting factor in upcoming modern games.

EDIT: Some said upgrade memory, I wouldn't, it wont buy you much FPS. Just save that cash for buying a new motherboard, CPU, and memory down the road.

Either way they are the same age lazyboy I'm sorry I should of referenced that it was a core 2 quad I just automatically thing duo :p And like James said its really hard to tell what the future will hold but yea with the current rate of games I would say 1-2 years is probably about where it will hit a brick wall if it isn't already in modern games.

well were in 2013 if we are comparing CPU's from that long ago how long do you really think the processing power will go before it starts to really slow down your system. Look at it this way.

GPU's are more dependent then ever before. When you play a game most of the time its based on the GPU power of your card. However, when you use a older CPU it will cause your GPU to bottleneck so in his case he is using a 650 but imagine him putting in lets say a 7970 ghz how likely do you think it would be that he would have a severe bottleneck even if he had overclocked his quad very likely.

Snowsniper2

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Well ok the core 2 quads can take ddr3 i know as we currently have a 775 board built for a core 2 quad and core 2 extreme in stock from back then and it is a ddr3 motherboard, the core 2 quads are a great piece if equipment i still have one running alongside my core i5 and the quad will soon become my main machine again because the i5 is going into my car simulator, with you core 2 quad and 8gb ram you should be fine for a little while yet

At the very tail end of things you were able to purchase motherboards that supported DDR3 memory but the lower end speeds. Chances are he does not have one of those boards they are far and few between and were far and few between then to. Because when the i5's, and i7's started coming out they were phased out relatively quickly.