Questionable Monitor Troubles

samshaq

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
First time posting, kind of a last resort for me, not to sure what else I can do. If this is in the wrong category I apologize in advance.

A few days ago, my good old HP w2207h monitor stopped working. The thought occurred to me that the thing is just old, but the fact of the matter is that it will still display the initial loading screen and black out on me come login and thereafter. I have since been forced to switch my display over to my TV monitor. Originally I had the connection from HDMI to HDMI but recently switched to DVI to HDMI. I checked the old cable to see if it wasn't an issue with the new connection only to have the same problem. My graphics card is a Radeon HD 7870, i checked the drivers just to be sure. Also switched to Windows 8 Pro and have been dealing with that mess ever since. Not sure what else to add in there.

If anyone could shed some light to the problem I would deeply appreciate any help. I have no idea what the problem is and my searches have come up empty. Thank you.

Things you can try.

1. Reseating your graphics card.
a. unplugging and plugging back in your power connections just to make sure the contact is good.
b. replug in your monitor to your card and boot.

Did these issues happen prior to windows 8

samshaq

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
Thanks for your suggestions. I fixed the problem in regards to the monitor. It actually had nothing to do with the hardware or software on either end. I had tried originally on my laptop to see if the problem persisted on another computer and it did. When I went to check it one last time on a computer in another room the monitor was functioning perfectly. Turns out the culprit in this case was the power bar the computer is connected to. Thank you again for your help, feel like a bit of an idiot now for not thinking of that sooner.