Opinion on my first high end build?

iAlexander94

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Hi everyone,

I'm about to build my first high end pc within a few months and would like to know all of your opinions on it.

Intel 3rd Generation Core i7-3770K CPU (4 x 3.50GHz, Ivy Bridge, Socket 1155, 8Mb L3 Cache, Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0) - £248.94

Asus Maximus V Formula Motherboard (Intel Z77, DDR3, S-ATA 600, ATX, e-SATA, USB 3.0, HDMI, PCI-Express 3.0, Wi-Fi, SupremeFX IV ? AMPed For Perfect Audio, Socket 1155) - £210.97

Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 690 Graphics Card (4GB GDDR5, PCI Express 3.0, 915MHz, 6008MHz, DVI-I, DVI-D, 28nm GPU, NVIDIA GPU Boost, NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround Ready) - £749.99

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm) - £24.99

G.Skill 8GB (2x 4GB) Dual Channel Ares Series Memory Kit (DDR3 1600, 8-8-8-24, 1.5v, Intel XMP Extreme Memory Profile Ready) - £50.34

Coolermaster Storm Trooper Case - £125.73

Corsair AX1200 Professional Series AX 1200W ATX/EPS Fully Modular 80 PLUS Gold PSU - £201.49

Seagate 3TB 3.5 inch 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA3 Hard Drive - £102.99

OCZ Vector Series 2.5 inch 256GB SATA III Solid State Drive - £185.97

Razer Lycosa Mirror Gaming Keyboard - £64.50

All will be purchased from Amazon.co.uk :)

If anyone thinks it's a bit overkill with somethings so i can save some money, i'd appreciate it :)

Cheers in advance guys :D

ChaosAD

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
I'd say the graphics and PSU are a complete overkill personally. I'd only really get a 1200w PSU if I were using 2 or more graphics card. I have an 850w psu and it is more than enough. It seems like (From looking at the RAM and CPU) you're going for a standard everyday spec that you can pick up from PC world for a few hundred quid then going overboard on the power and graphics

iAlexander94

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Would just like to thank everyone for all of the quick replies i've had so far! :wahoo:

I might get the gtx 680 and a 850w psu as stated in an above post, as i've never done sli before and don't want to screw something up, as i dont have alot of experience building systems :/

Would anyone be able to tell me where in the UK i would be able to get good ESD ( Electro Static Discharge ) safety equipment, for building my pc with? I don't want to risk breaking a few ( and expensive ) components before i even put them into the system :/

Thanks so much again to everyone, and keep these replies coming! :D

iAlexander94

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Oh and about the liquid cooling, i've heard alot of horror stories surrounding liquid cooled systems, so i don't know if i would want to go with one of the corsair H series cooling kits. I like the fact that they are pre built and i only need to install them without any maintenance, but i've heard that they leak, and/or make loud noise. And how long would it last before i have to replace it with a new one? For example, if the liquid eventually evaporates?

iAlexander94

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013

I've owned 6 so far (all Corsairs) and made a couple of builds for other people with them. Not one has leaked on me or the people whose builds I've put together or given noises beyond that of the fans on the radiator, but I understand your apprehension when it comes to these things. Why would anyone want water around their system? Especially one by which you can't perform maintenance?

I like them because they give you so much more room to work around the motherboard. They take the bulk of an air cooler and allow you to shift it to a top or back exhaust port and free up space around the processor to work with RAM and other things. They are also don't put any stress on the motherboard because no weight is naturally pulling down due to gravity like with heavy air cooling solutions. This makes them good for shipping/moving, too. It also has a five-year warranty which should give you some peace of mind. In my case, I just replace the cooler every 2-4 years so I don't test the warranty. I've also found them to have good resale value. This is good when I want to upgrade to the latest and greatest cooler every two years.