Connecting a PS2 to a 5.1 Sound Amplifier

Last response: in Home Audio
April 15, 2004 6:53:19 AM

Hi all.

I've got a Sony Playstation 2 and the Labtec Arena 675 Speaker System - now,
the problem is the PS2 only comes with 3 RCA ports - 2 for Left and Right Audio
Channels, and one for the video.The Speaker system on the other hand, has three
3.5" Stero Ports (one for the front speakers, one for the rear speakers, and
one for the subwoofer/centre speaker)

So currently all I can do is connect the PS2 to my TV, and use the 3.5" Stereo
Plug (Male) to connect the amplifier to the headphones port of the TV.

Hence, the remaining 2 ports of the amplifier are unused and the speakers going
completely to waste (surprisingly the subwoofer works).

Any idea where I can buy an adapter to connect the 2 RCA connections from the
PS2 directly to the three 3.5" ports.
Anonymous
April 15, 2004 11:32:35 PM

Forrest Hump wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I've got a Sony Playstation 2 and the Labtec Arena 675 Speaker System - now,
> the problem is the PS2 only comes with 3 RCA ports - 2 for Left and Right Audio
> Channels, and one for the video.The Speaker system on the other hand, has three
> 3.5" Stero Ports (one for the front speakers, one for the rear speakers, and
> one for the subwoofer/centre speaker)
>
> So currently all I can do is connect the PS2 to my TV, and use the 3.5" Stereo
> Plug (Male) to connect the amplifier to the headphones port of the TV.
>
> Hence, the remaining 2 ports of the amplifier are unused and the speakers going
> completely to waste (surprisingly the subwoofer works).
>
> Any idea where I can buy an adapter to connect the 2 RCA connections from the
> PS2 directly to the three 3.5" ports.

Ok, your PS2 has simple left/right out, your speaker system on the other
had has left/right (usually green), surround left/right (usually black)
and centre/sub (orange). The subwoofer will play the bass sounds which
the satellites cannot handle, but will also play LFE signals sent to it
via the orange cable.

Assuming you only want 2.1 (thats left/right + sub) you can simply by
an cheap cable to connect two RCA ports to one stereo 3.5mm jack. Take
a look on ebay,

Now you could get two RCA splitters and two of the leads I mentioned
above, that would cause you to be able to mirror the fronts with
the surrouds. This is a what I have come to know as 'poor man's
surround'. Finally the orange plug has three pins which are LFE,
centre and ground, you could run either the left or the right output
from your PS2 to your centre speaker using one 'side' of the Y cable.
Of course you would only get left/right out of your centre speaker
unless you joined left/right into a mono feed (which would mean lots of
joiners etc). It could look a little like this:-

L)-----[3]-------------------------------|
P \----[2]---------------\ |
S [1]\---[2]---------\ \ |
2 AMP(G) (B) (O)=[2]=-o[4]
R)-----[2]---------/ / |
\----[2]---------------/ |
\---[3]-------------------------------|

1. One Male RCA->Three Female RCA.
2. Two Male RCA->One Stereo 3.5mm Jack.
3. One Male RCA->One Male RCA.
4. Two Female RCA->One Male RCA.

You don't need to use those cables, you could stack adapters on top
of each other. Of course what you could do for real surround sound is
run a digital TOS link cable from your PS2 (should have a hole with
a red light) into a decoder which will then take 6 discrete channels
and send each one to the appropriate speakers. But for this you
are likely to need a dts/dolby decder (av reciever) as afaik you
cannot get simple digital surround->analouge 5.1 convertors.

--
Regards
Aaron Horn

Thanks for the help Aaron - that' what I figured as well. I'm sure you'll
agree, it would be quite a schlep to do it this way though.

According to the manual however, what I could just do is purchase "a games
console adapter" - this (according to the manual) is available in many consumer
stores...naturally, I haven't found one yet.

Urgh !
!