Sign in with
Your question

Red CPU light on Motherboard! - PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

Last response: in Systems
February 22, 2013 1:53:01 PM

Please help!

Mobo: Rampage Extreme IV (other specs in my sig)

I took my system apart to change the fan configuration.

Put back together - WON'T POST! The fans come on, the Mobo is getting power.

The Red CPU light is permanently on. The LED's show 00 (code not used).

I have tried these already:

Clearing CMOS
Re-flashing the BIOS
Taking out mobo battery/holding down the power button to discharge.
Connecting and reconnecting all cables (they are all plugged in correctly).

I have stripped away all components except one stick RAM etc etc.

Please help, I am wits end. I'm loathe to take out the CPU because

A) I don't have another to test in the slot

B) My H100 is mounted with a hi-pressure mount

I'm pretty sure the PSU is okay - it seems to be powering everything correctly (GPU fans come on etc). In any case I don't have another PSU to test.

Any help gratefully received!

February 22, 2013 3:11:13 PM

Here is an image of some other lights which are on on the mobo:

Please help!
February 22, 2013 9:43:09 PM

UPDATE: (if anybody cares :D  "hello? hello?" *tumbleweed blows past* :D  )

The truth is, there are plenty of these "red CPU light" incidents if you care to read about them.

There's not actually much anyone can do to help except say "have you tested this? that?" and so on.

So just be very very thorough with testing and swapping out each part is my advice!

In my case I eliminated as much as I could (I don't have a spare CPU lying around :D ) - and I finally discovered that the CPU slot thing had some bent pins in. Spent some time re-angling them until I discovered that at least one has snapped and is missing.

I suspect it may have to do with the way my cooler was mounted (high-pressure mount). I tightened the thumbscrews a LOT before I got scared; the pressure must have been too much in the end.

So I'll tighten a lot less next time, especially as the heatsink and CPU are both lapped - overtightening probably bows the metal - counterproductive anyway.

Peace.

Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
February 22, 2013 9:54:25 PM

Did you tinker with the cooler while you were inside the case ? Also, I see in your sig that you are using a H100, is that this rig ?

Some cpu mounting systems (thermalright's awesome venom BTK for example) are known to damage motherboards. The Thermalright BTK for example, can literally rip a socket off the motherboard if tightened too much.

Bottom line on that is, no matter the other aspects of the motherboard (gaming board, OC board, extra VRM phases, etc.), the socket is still bone standard Intel spec (likely Foxconn made), and the CPU is Intel spec. If you read the Intel's white papers on the socket and CPU specifications (mechanical aspects), you'll see that the CPU can only handle so much pressure, and the cooler can only apply so much pressure. Beyond that specification, you are very much on your own, and your mileage WILL vary.

I'm not sure how to repair a broken pin, you might try RMA'ing the mobo. ASUS might charge you a small fee to replace the board, since there are bent/broken pins.

Other tower cooling systems (Noctua's mount, for example, not sure if it applies to every tower) have been known to damage memory or snap traces if the cooler is mounted with the cooler just clearing the memory, and the computer gets jostled, so that the cooler bumps into the memory. These coolers are top-heavy and thus can exert a lot of torque if you bump/drop/kick/whatever your computer.
a b à CPUs
February 22, 2013 10:08:13 PM

If you can straighten the remaining pins. You may get lucky if the pin happens to be a ground or VCC pin which there is alot of redundant. I was suspicious as soon as you said "high pressure mount". Be more careful now.
February 22, 2013 10:15:41 PM

This makes me sad. I have read that lapping is pretty extreme and unecessary. I have never needed to do it either. A lot of good cheap heatsinks that greatly reduce your chance of crunching a cpu out there.

Waiting for the next post about "why my h100 is leaking and corsair won't pay for my fried pc innards."
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2013 1:01:58 PM

kyle382 said:
This makes me sad. I have read that lapping is pretty extreme and unecessary. I have never needed to do it either. A lot of good cheap heatsinks that greatly reduce your chance of crunching a cpu out there.

Waiting for the next post about "why my h100 is leaking and corsair won't pay for my fried pc innards."

Yeah, I have read QUITE A FEW people with leaky closed-loop coolers now. It seems to be fairly random.
!