Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 startup problems

Kennethtruyers

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Hello everybody,

Yesterday I built my new rig and I'm having some problems at the moment.

This is the configuration:

Motherboard: AsRock z77 Extreme 4
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K
RAM: 2 x 8GB 1600Mhz
PSU: Corsair HX650
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro
HDD: Seagate Barracuda
Case: CoolerMaster Silencia 650

When I built my setup yesterday, it booted perfectly fine, I installed windows and it was running OK although I did have a few minor issues:
- If I shut down from windows, the PC didn't shut down but rebooted
- After a few times I managed to shut it down, but then the rear case fan and the CPU cooler were still going on (upon switching off, the CPU temp was 35 C, and I left it for an hour and they were still running)

So far so good, I left it at that yesterday and decided I'd take a look at these items today.
When I started the system today, I did have a bigger problem though beause I had no video (tried replacing HDMI for DVI but no luck)
Apart from that the system speaker didn't beep either and the Dr Debug which is part of the mainboard (an internal display which shows error codes) were also not working.

I went over all the cables and connections again and I found a problem:
The front panel has two different USB connecters: a double and a single. The double one was connected correctly but the single one was plugged into CIR1 of the mainboard (which is a port for a remote control)
So I unplugged this one and put it in a USB plug. When I did this, the PC went into a loop: the fans would switch on for about half a second, stop, wait 3 seconds and do the same again.

So now I'm in a situation were either:
- I leave the frontpanel's USB plug in the CIR1 plug (which doesn't make sense to me) => The PC starts but I have no video
- I plug in the USB in the correct port => The PC goes into a boot loop.

Does anyone have any idea about what might be wrong?

If you need more information, please ask!

With kind regards and thanks in advance

Kennethtruyers

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
OK,

I did another test with the whole setup out of the case (as suggested in the sticky thread).

I connected only the PSU, CPU fan and motherboard, but it still has the same behavior.

I noticed that even pluggin the USB on the CIR header when the USB is not connected to the PSU at all, it does the same thing.

Any ideas?