Opinions on getting a GTX 280, and power requirements

I was looking at getting a new video card, and I saw a gtx 280 on ebay for $40. I looked around and people are saying it is about the same performance as a gtx 660. I was wondering if getting this older card is worth it, or if I should just go with a new card, like the radeon hd 7750.

Also, if I were to get the GTX 280, my power supply only has 1 pci e 6pin, and I thought I could just use a molex to pci e 8 pin adapter to be able to run this card. My power supply is a Turbolink 500w that came with my NZXT Apollo case. Is it safe to do this, or should I look at upgrading my psu, or possibly just getting a different card?
3 answers Last reply
More about opinions power requirements
  1. If you can get the gtx 660 for around the same price, go for it. The gtx 660 is in my mind without a doubt better in performance. Not only that, it only needs one 6pin pci connector so there is no need to upgrade your power supply since it needs a 450 watt.
  2. I would go for hd 7750.getting second hand card is not good.
  3. using molex to pci-e adapter is always discouraged...better you go for the hd7750,it does not even require a pci-e power connector.

you might also look out for the hd7770...requires only 1 6pin pci-e power connector and your psu can surely power it

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Gtx Power Supplies PCI Express Graphics