SCSI hds

G

I have a system with an adaptec aha2940u scsi card and ibm ddrs drives which seems to have slow HD access. my video capture seems poor. What could be wrong.
Win 2000
Asus MB
Athlon 1200 MHZ

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
What is the model of your IBM HDD?

The AHA2940U is a 50 pin controller with only 20 Mb/sec. If your IBM HDD's are newer technology you may need to upgrade to a faster controller.

Another possiblitity could be that you need to updated BIOS on your existing controller, or drivers for your video card needs an upgrade.

Also, invest in a better defragmenter, e.g., Diskkeeper to get optimal performance out of W2k. The default defragmenter in W2k is very weak and is slow and doesn't do a very good job.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

G

The drives are ibm ddrs 34560w and 3091ow I took them out old server
thanks for your quick reply

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Both your hard drives and your controller are getting a bit long in the tooth. Do you boot from either of them? If not you may want to stripe them in the OS and perhaps get a bit more out of them.

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!

G

my brother also has the 2940. For normal desktop function, my IDE fireball is faster than his SCSI.

G

the defragmenter in W2K is weak. I have tried Diskkeeper 5.0, but very interesting, some of the files could not be fixed by diskkeeper, but it could be fixed by the W2K defragmenter. So right now I use both defragmenters. Or is there a new version of diskkeeper? Anyway, both are much better than the defragmenter in W95 or W98.

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
I thought the ckdisk boot-time function of Diskkeeper corrected errors by utilizing the ckdisk utility within W2k, and then used it's own defragmenter. I didn't know that error correction is better in the default W2k defragmenter. Thanks for the corrections. Experience always out-weights knowledge.

But speaking from experience, I did notice an increase of performance in W2k after diskkeeper defrag in comparison to the default W2k defragmenter.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

TRENDING THREADS