Computer Crashes with Black screen and No Audio

thenedgamer

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Recently my Computer has started to crash normally playing League of Legends or at the rare time surfing on the internet. to reset I have to presh the restart button or to hold in the power button to shut down.

So what happens is without warning my monitor will go black and show the error message: 'No signal, Check video cables' in addition to this all audio is cut off. As I said at the beginning this has only happened when playing League of Legends but has crashed when on the internet.

Here are the specs for my PC:
i7 870 2.93 Ghz (Not overclocked) (Akasa K32 cooler)
1Tb HDD + 60Gb SSD
GA-P55-USB3 Motherboard
Sapphire 7870 HD 2gb
Corsair HX750W PSU
Sharkoon T9 Case
8Gb Corsair RAM (1333)
Windows 7 ATI (For gaming) (Manufacture: Rockers International Team, Model: Rockers 7 edition)
4 USB connected
1 DVI Connection to monitor
1 Audio jack connected

I have checked to see if it goes to sleep mode and is turned off. Also check event logs and just states that there was a unexpected shutdown.

WHAT I HAVE TRIED
I did have a really cheap 750w PSU but thought it wasn't very reliable and upgraded to the corsair HX750 for higher reliability. (I did order a 850 but got a 750, and the money difference was repayed)

I have also tried another CPU cooler instead of the stock cooler as I thought it might of been overheating. Upgraded to a Akasa K32.

Any ideas that can help me resolve this problem as it is a pain to keep having to restart my computer for on average every other game I play.

Thank you :)

hillmanant

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
My first bet would be a RAM issue, assuming you have more than one stick of ram, try 1 stick at a time in varying slots on the motherboard, if it works with either stick singularly in all slots and not the other stick/sticks you have a bad stick of ram, if it works in one slot but not the other its a bad slot on the board however this is almost impossible considering the PC was in working order and this is a problem that developed afterward.

thenedgamer

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Nope, tried both RAM sticks in every RAM slot and some previous RAM that I had, All failed.
Side note: in 2 of the 4 slots (these were blue) when I started the computer it would beep like crazy pause and then continue to beep like crazy, pause and so forth.

Any ideas what I should try next?

hillmanant

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

they may be the secondary slots the others may need sticks before these 2, if you only have 2 sticks they should be in the 2 primary slots reccomenended in the Manual.

How full is your SSD weird things can start to happen when there isn't enough room to move files and info around on there.

thenedgamer

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
It's normally empty, because I use it for video files from recording games (for Youtube). It stays empty most of the time. It is only ever got files in after recording and before editing/rendering. But for most of the time it's either empty or 1/4 or less full

hillmanant

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
How about the video card when was the last time you updated the drivers? If it's been recently try rolling them back go into device manager, uninstall the drivers and restart then reload the drivers that came originaly, the disk that came with the GPU then see if it crash with old drivers. Have you tried updating your bios? Look in the event manager and see what it is logging for an event when it crash's, what is the event ID?

thenedgamer

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Ok, I have reinstalled drivers and not updated. Still crashed. I will try updating and then testing.

How do you update your bios? (Sidenote:I am running a modded windows 7. Windows Rockers 7 edition I think)

Even Viewer just comes up with an error, I need to verify that the service is running or something?

not quite sure, what next?

hillmanant

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

Update your bios by downloading it from the Motherboard's web site. This may help with your bios update. The reason your event viewer showed that I think is because your running a modded version of windows that may have event monitor shut off for little better performance, what exactly does "comes up with an error" mean? It won't open? What exactly does the error say?

Next:
Do a Disk Cleanup on your HDD and SSD
Defrag HDD not SSD
Run a free registry cleaner like CClean
Download, burn, and boot Memtest86, I know we did the memory switch already but there can be other problems that only arise over time run memtest overnight and see if it logs any errors.
Check your system temps with CoreTemp, see what your PC idles at and runs at under load, could be overheating, clean the PC blow out the finns on the CPU and GPU, generaly just clean the inside.
Try a different PSU
Check and make sure your Speed and Timings settings in your Bios match the settings on your RAM Sticks
Update your audio drivers
It sounds like the Patches for this game are pretty flakey, you could try doing a repair, in the launcher click on the options button at the top right and find the big blue button that says repair, or try a repair installation.

Edit: After checking out that Widows Rockers 7, It has no benefits over official Windows, I would get rid of it and install an official version of windows, with a produced version of 7 like that your leaving yourself open to backdoor hacks and generaly putting your information at risk, I'm not even sure it should be mentioned on the forum.