Why does my computer not support higher resolution

Loumas

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Hello,
I have a Toshiba C855 with a max screen resolution of 1366x68. The graphic card is Intel(R) HD graphics 3000.
My new LG 21,5" screen supports 1920x1080 screen resolution.
What can I do to get the 190x1080 screen resolution. It seems the driver are up to date.
Do I need to buy and installa new graphic card? I dont even know whether that is possible.
And - is there a big difference between the resolutions? I use the new monitor for photo editing.
If you could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful. Oh, I am running Windows 7
Thank you.

Kari

Splendid
how have you set it up? if you are using cloned desktop it will only go as high as the smaller screen allows, extended mode should let you use the higher res.

Stevemeister

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
Kari is correct - if you are cloning you will only get the lower resolution. To get the higher resolution you need to switch the graphics to either extended desktop or to output only to the external monitor - you do this by right clicking on the desktop and selecting graphics properties and or graphics output and then making adjustments accordingly. Also with systems using Intel graphics there is usually a Window you can open to set the resolutions on the different monitors - its not that difficult.

The larger monitor will make a big difference in desktop applications - once you've used 1900 x 1200 or thereabouts its hard to go back to lower resolutions.

I'm writing from my desktop and can't remember the step by step instructions but if you have problems post again and I'll get on my laptop and give more specific instructions

Loumas

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
:ange: Hi
I have connected the LG monitor to my laptop (first by HDMI cable - but then by D-sub cable - there was no difference in quality between the two cables)
Yes, the laptop allows a max resolution of 1366x768 - whereas the LG monitor could run on 1920x1080.
I don't know whether this is because the graphic card Intel HD graphic 3000 might not supprt the 1920x1080 resolution.
My question is
1. would a 1920x1080 resolution give a better picture for photo editing?
2. is the reason for the laptop resoluton the graphic card?
3. if so - is it possible to get a different graphic card>
Can you help???
Thank you :hello:

Stevemeister

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
Your graphics card will support 1920 x 1080 resolution - you simply have to adjust the settings in the software.

From the desktop you need to right click and a menu should come up that gives you Graphics Properties, Graphics Options, & Graphics Output.

With the Graphics Output you need to select Extended Desktop Notebook+Monitor

Next go into Graphics Properties and and Intel Graphics Control Panel should open up. From that screen you should be able to set the resolution of your desktop and your extended monitor. When using your computer the windows will open on your laptop screen - reduce them from full size and drag them to your larger monitor.

You can use graphics properties to set up the position of the two monitors relative to each other - in the advanced options. This simply allows you to set up the monitors so when you drag windows from one to another you know which way to drag the mouse. I usually have mine set up vertically with my notebook screen below my monitor but you can set them up side by side - whatever you want

Loumas

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Hi again,
thank you great - I followed your recommendations by right click desktop etc - and it worked. I suppose should have been more precise and asked right at the beginning whether my graphics card supports 1920x1080 resolution.
Now I know - I am really greatful - the difference is as I suspected.\
Thanks Stevemeister