New gaming build ~750-800

moongoof

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Hi everyone, I'm a total noob at this but building my own pc has been a long time goal. I have a little extra $ at the moment and want to take on this challenge. I'm primarily looking for a good gaming rig (no crazy bells or whistles) while keeping to a budget.

Approximate Purchase Date: now - beginning of March

Budget Range: $800 total

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing the internet, Photoshop image editing

Are you buying a monitor: No - I think the Acer I have now should be fine

Parts to Upgrade: all – build from scratch (except monitor)

Do you need to buy OS: yes
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: no real vendor preference, though to save on shipping it would be good to buy majority of products from one source

Parts Preferences: no preference

Overclocking: Maybe - never done this but interested to learn

SLI or Crossfire: no

Your Monitor Resolution: 1600x900

Additional Comments: Plan to run the following: Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom and Bridge; MMORPGs such as WoW, The Secret World, ArmA II; + everyday use (internet, MS office, etc)

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I’m looking to build my first PC and want to be able to use it for current and future games and as a digital photo editing system. I've started doing alot of digital photography. My current system will not support the newer game graphics requirements and I think it may be on it's last breaths - overheating, shutting down unexpectedly, driver errors

drunkducki

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($188.79 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B75M-GL Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($66.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.69 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.99 @ Compuvest)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($224.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.90 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($55.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $790.29
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-22 16:04 EST-0500)

Solution

burntpizza

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012

Very nice build. Radeon hd 7870 XT gives better performance and its about the same price as the R7870 GHZ. If op wants to consider

Zeontec

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
But isn't K Series Cpu just for Over clocking the Processor? Wouldn't it be better just to buy a New Processor and have a Mobo that as you said acormidate future hardeware updates?

logainofhades

Titan
I mentioned Microcenter deal because he is so close to it and the $50 off the motherboard when he buys an i5 3570k. ;) If he did that and bought everything else listed the build nearly $40 cheaper. Sometimes, at least at my closest one, they sometimes have in store specials not listed online.