HELP! Bent pins in Mobo.

ntwilliams

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Evening all,

Just a quick question, could you take a look at the photograph that is linked.

I have been having problems with my build, I have recently changed CPU in my MOBO and as I was putting my new i7 3770k in, I knocked the pins accidentally and now 2 of them are bent, (shown).

Would this stop my PC from posting as it's not wanting to load any sort of display, it wont give me any beep errors? Will I need a new MOBO?

Regards Nathan.

adrianc1

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
that append to me on my old build god thanks it was a 5 year old cpu whic costs £20 but anyways yes you will need to get a new mobo, sorry and be careful next time and also if it dont work dont try to force putting in your i7 into it because you an damage it and will have to pay another 250 and you dont want that

wiggbot

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012

I tend to disagree with the assessment that the mobo must be replaced. That damage looks mild at worst.

If you feel up to the challenge, you could try getting the pins back in the correct form. It'll require a steady hand, but it is possible. This may sound unorthodox, but a mechanical pencil with the led removed makes a great tool. The little exposed metal tip should be the perfect size. Don't force it though; try to finesse it back into place. If you feel that the repaired pins match the undamaged ones, try it out.

wiggbot

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
There is a chance, but virtually none if the pins are repaired properly. The goal here is to make it look just like the other ones. This means that you do not want one of the damaged pins looking like it'll touch another one. You want it in it's own socket.

The way I see it, you've got nothing to lose if you're contemplating buying a new motherboard anyways. Take your time, use a magnifying glass, and lots of light. If you find that the mechanical pencil is too big, you can use something like a sewing needle.

onichikun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
It also does matter what pins of the socket were bent.

Even if you get the pin to match the other ones, any damage the pins had internally due to being bent cant affect the quality of the signalling over those pins.

IF the pins was, for example, a pin for the data of a memory interface, that damage could indeed affect the signal quality, leading to bit errors.

Anyways, you can try fixing it gently, and then test it to see if it works ok.

TRENDING THREADS