Sign in with
Your question

1st time new build questions

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 5, 2013 11:43:33 AM

I've pretty much just completed my first build based upon the specs I took from http://www.build-gaming-computers.com. Made some changes to the recommended list based on cash on hand and trying to future proof to some degree. I have a few questions to ask before I put power to it. This is what I have:

Cooler Master HAF 912 Case
Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H motherboard
Intel Core i7-3770K 3.50 GHz LGA1155 CPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti Superclocked 3GB graphics card
WD Caviar Blue 1TB SATA HD
Corsair Vengeance 8GB PC12800 BBR3 1600MHz CL9 2x4
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Power Supply
LG 24X SATA DVDRW
MS Windows 7 Professional 64bit
Logitech Gaming Keyboard G510
Tt eSports Black Element Laser Gaming Mouse
ASUS VS247H-P 23.6" Wide 2ms Monitor

I've installed the GTX 660 Ti graphics card, but may take it back out before I power up since I have too many questions concerning this card.

1) The 660 Ti has two 6 pin sockets for two 6 pin PCI express connectors, which I have from the power supply. The instructions show in a picture that either the card sockets or the power supply connectors are supposed to have 6 pin, but with the #2 pin absent on both. My power supply connectors have all 6 pins. Will this extra pin create problems for this particular graphics card?

2) Has anyone installed a graphics card like mine during the build BEFORE powering everything up and before installing the operating system? The card documentation recommends disabling the motherboard graphics drivers before installing the card. This is why I'm thinking about taking it out before powering up.

3) The Cooler Master HAF 912 Case comes with two 120 mm fans (one front and one back). Both have 3 pin connectors, which are connected to another set of wires with 4 pin Molex connectors. The Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H motherboard has 4 connections on board for 4 system fans, each with 4 pins. Two of the MOBO connections have speed control. I ended up connecting the fans directly to a power supply cable with two 4-pin Molex connectors. I'm wondering if it is possible to disconnect the 3-pin from the Molex and connect to the MOBO, which is 4 pin. Seems unlikely. The case supports the addition of 4 more fans. Suggestions here?

4) Any suggestions before powering up? I've never done this before
a b Î Nvidia
January 5, 2013 11:48:48 AM

1. There should be no problems. Just make sure you connect both connectors.

2. You shouldn't worry about that. Just install the card before powering up the system. It's actually better that way because windows installation will adjust to the card during the installation.

3. You can and should do that.

4. I suggest staying in a silent room, because the first time you hear a computer make a sound is an epic moment :) .
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
January 5, 2013 12:37:05 PM

1. Nup no problem, just connect them up.

2. There shouldn't be an issue with running the GPU in the system when you first turn it on.

3. Yep, 3 and 4pin fan connectors are compatible. That 4th pin is the PWM signal, which is just a more accurate way to tell the RPM of the fan while its spinning than judging off the voltage being supplied. Its not that important.

4. One hand on top of the case, other hand around the power cable. If you see smoke, do what comes naturally to you :lol: 
Otherwise make sure to scream "ITS ALIVE!!" in your best mad scientist impression when it first POST's. To not do so angers the computing gods and they will strike you down with BSOD's later.
m
l
Related resources
January 5, 2013 2:33:23 PM

Thanks! Time to get busy. Will post later on results.
m
l
January 7, 2013 10:53:23 PM

Man this ROCKS!!! Shortly after I got the great advice from Sunius and Manofchalk I had this baby up and running! Since then it's been all about loading software, updates, registrations.... From now on this is my GO TO site!
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
January 8, 2013 7:44:40 AM

Congrats :) .
m
l
!