Sign in with
Your question

Fans spin for split second. No boot.

Last response: in Systems
February 22, 2013 8:38:50 PM

Hi, :hello: 

This is my first build and have been troubleshooting this one all day. I would really appreciate some help and advice from you guys!

I am building this from the barebones in order to try and identify any faults. My motherboard has integrated graphics so I have not yet installed the graphics card. At the moment it consists of the CPU, heatsink, mobo, PSU, RAM and the front panel connections from the case. It is also breadboarding to eliminate the possibility of a short circuit.

My system consists of:

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.50GHz (Ivy Bridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor
Stock cooler
Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3 - Z77 LGA1155
8GB (2x4GB) G.SKILL RipjawsX 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 (9-9-9-24-2N)
750W EVGA SuperNova NEX750G
VTX3D X-Edition Radeon HD 7950 OC 3072MB GDDR5 (not yet installed)

When I flip the power switch, the case LED illuminates for a split second and the CPU fans move slightly (maybe a quarter revolution), then it powers down. It does nothing if I press the power button again, unless it turn everything off at the mains and wait a minute. I can then turn everything on and it will do the same thing. There is no boot and no beep.

What I have done so far to resolve the problem?

I have taken everything apart and reinstalled all the components; double checking everything. The CPU is properly seated, the heatsink is in position and connected to the correct CPUfan header. The RAM is slotted in correctly and clipped in.

The CPU and mobo power cables are both connected and secure.

I am certain nothing is being shorted because it it is currently sitting on cardboard and breadboarding.

I have reset the BIOS by taking the battery out and waiting a minute before putting back. No change.

I have tried different RAM configurations. No change.

I have paperclip tested the PSU and can confirm that it powers a case fan and the PSU fan. I assume that this is therefore working and not the fault.

I have double and triple checked the front panel connectors on the mobo against the manuals.

Thanks for reading. Any ideas and solutions would be appreciated! :sol: 

More about : fans spin split boot

February 24, 2013 2:18:56 PM

It sounds like you gotta RMA the Motherboard. Did you put a case speaker on the Motherboard, the beeps won't come through the speakers just the case speaker?No beeps at all? Not even when you take out the RAM completely? Bread boarding consists of installing components one at a time so you can eliminate a bad component, not putting everything on the board outside the case then booting. Try this post see if it helps shed some light on which component is bad.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboardi...

Edit: Or try this post http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-261145_13_0.ht...
July 5, 2013 12:03:00 PM

massivecanary said:
Hi, :hello: 

This is my first build and have been troubleshooting this one all day. I would really appreciate some help and advice from you guys!

I am building this from the barebones in order to try and identify any faults. My motherboard has integrated graphics so I have not yet installed the graphics card. At the moment it consists of the CPU, heatsink, mobo, PSU, RAM and the front panel connections from the case. It is also breadboarding to eliminate the possibility of a short circuit.

My system consists of:

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.50GHz (Ivy Bridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor
Stock cooler
Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3 - Z77 LGA1155
8GB (2x4GB) G.SKILL RipjawsX 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 (9-9-9-24-2N)
750W EVGA SuperNova NEX750G
VTX3D X-Edition Radeon HD 7950 OC 3072MB GDDR5 (not yet installed)

When I flip the power switch, the case LED illuminates for a split second and the CPU fans move slightly (maybe a quarter revolution), then it powers down. It does nothing if I press the power button again, unless it turn everything off at the mains and wait a minute. I can then turn everything on and it will do the same thing. There is no boot and no beep.

What I have done so far to resolve the problem?

I have taken everything apart and reinstalled all the components; double checking everything. The CPU is properly seated, the heatsink is in position and connected to the correct CPUfan header. The RAM is slotted in correctly and clipped in.

The CPU and mobo power cables are both connected and secure.

I am certain nothing is being shorted because it it is currently sitting on cardboard and breadboarding.

I have reset the BIOS by taking the battery out and waiting a minute before putting back. No change.

I have tried different RAM configurations. No change.

I have paperclip tested the PSU and can confirm that it powers a case fan and the PSU fan. I assume that this is therefore working and not the fault.

I have double and triple checked the front panel connectors on the mobo against the manuals.

Thanks for reading. Any ideas and solutions would be appreciated! :sol: 

Hi, did you find out what the problem was?
Same thing is happening to me, looks like it's the PSU, I hooked up a different PSU to the Mobo in work and it started straight away.
!