two router connections to the internet

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

I'm trying to connect two routers to one Cable modem Internet connection.

The first router which is supplied by work and is setup to provide VPN
access on my work laptop at home over my Cable Internet connection. The VPN
is setup with a fixed IP address that's validated on the work server.

The second router which is a Linksys Wireless router is used for my home
computers to connect to the Internet over the same Cable Internet
connection. This connection is currently setup to use DHCP provided by the
router to the PCs. The address range for this router and PCs is based on
the default range of the router out of the box.

Since both address ranges are different, I tried to setup both routers on a
10/100 hub with the hub linked to the cable modem.

When I do this arrangement, the VPN works fine but I can't get the PCs on
the Linksys hub to see the Internet.

When I ipconfig all equipment, I see all IP address ranges I would expect to
see.

Should this concept work? And if so, any thoughts on what I would change to
make it work. I didn't know if I have to turn DHCP off on the Linksys
router and hard code the addresses on the PCs connected to it.

Thanks

Steve

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 20:56:09 -0700, Steve Arndt wrote:

> I'm trying to connect two routers to one Cable modem Internet connection.
>
> The first router which is supplied by work and is setup to provide VPN
> access on my work laptop at home over my Cable Internet connection. The VPN
> is setup with a fixed IP address that's validated on the work server.
>
> The second router which is a Linksys Wireless router is used for my home
> computers to connect to the Internet over the same Cable Internet
> connection. This connection is currently setup to use DHCP provided by the
> router to the PCs. The address range for this router and PCs is based on
> the default range of the router out of the box.
>
> Since both address ranges are different, I tried to setup both routers on a
> 10/100 hub with the hub linked to the cable modem.
>
> When I do this arrangement, the VPN works fine but I can't get the PCs on
> the Linksys hub to see the Internet.
>
> When I ipconfig all equipment, I see all IP address ranges I would expect to
> see.
>
> Should this concept work?

Not unless your cable company gives you two public IP Addresses.

Why don't you just plug your computers into one of the LAN ports on the vpn
router?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

I was trying to seperate the two for security reasons.

Steve

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 22:05:28 -0700, Steve Arndt wrote:

> I was trying to seperate the two for security reasons.
>
> Steve

Security from what? Your vpn connection will be separate and secure from
your LAN unless you specifically allow local access. Your vpn connected
computer will be part of the remote network. In fact, your sys admin may
not allow local browsing nor local gateway while connected to the VPN. So
the VPN connected computer will be isolated from your local internet
gateway and LAN and will be part of the corporate network.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Basically I have no control over the setup of the VPN router. And if I want
to use the VPN router to provide Internet access to my home pc's, they get
to the Internet through the work tunnel not directly to the Internet through
the Internet service provider.

> On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 22:05:28 -0700, Steve Arndt wrote:
>
> > I was trying to seperate the two for security reasons.
> >
> > Steve
> >
> Security from what? Your vpn connection will be separate and secure from
> your LAN unless you specifically allow local access. Your vpn connected
> computer will be part of the remote network. In fact, your sys admin may
> not allow local browsing nor local gateway while connected to the VPN. So
> the VPN connected computer will be isolated from your local internet
> gateway and LAN and will be part of the corporate network.

marc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Could you not do away with the other router and plug the "home" pc directly
into the broadband router - having the second router there is providing no
benefit - unless I am missing something?

Marc