[Solved] SSD For Old Computer

I have my old computer I bought in 2007, it is an Core2 Duo 6300. It has a 320GB hard drive, I am running Window 7 Ultimate 32bit, 2GB Ram Bios Ver. 3.14. Can I put a 120GB SSD in it? I am also thinking of upgrading the Ram memory to 4 or 8GB if I switch to Windows 7 64bit. I'm not sure about the mother board, it is a HP Media Center, can you help?
15 answers Last reply
More about solved computer
  1. As long as your motherboard has an open SATA port - yes you can.
    You're only doing home office/home entertainment stuff?
    Probably add 2GB of RAM for 4GB total. You shouldn't need 8GB.
  2. I have an removable hard drive dock, it slides in an out of the front,I have never used it, removable drive didn't come with the computer. Would that be a Sata port? Don't know what a Sata port looks like, do you have a pic of it?
  3. An older Intel 320 series SSD was as reliable as they came - SATA II - no need for SATA III.
    -Bruce
  4. SATA Ports look like this:

You probably have a cable from one going to a hard drive and maybe even the DVD drive.
  5. If you run CPU-z it will tell you what model of motherboard is in your system.
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

It will be on the Mainboard tab:
  6. Hi, you were asking what kind of mother board I had, I downloaded cpu-z and got that info... I wasn't sure about the sata ports... It is a ASUSTek Buckeye version 1.05
    Chipset Intel P965/G965 Rev. C2
    Southbridge Intel 82801HH (1CH8DH) Rev. B0
    LPCIO Fintec F8000
    Phoenix Technologies LTD
    Version 3.17

Can an SSD be added to this board???
  7. Which ssd would you recommend, I have a unused optical drive, should I put it in there???
  8. What kind of budget do you have?
    Does your case have another HDD bay available in the case?
  9. My HDD is mounted vertically and the removable HDD is right beside it, I could remove the shell that the remove HDD fits into... There's a door that open in front for the removable drive, so I can have a look at my SSD...LOL
  10. OK, you'll need some type of adapter kit to have the 2.5" fit in the 5.25" drive bay.

And the budget for the SSD?
  11. Hmmm....... measure the removeable drive bay opening.
    It might be a normal 3.5" drive sized bay.
  12. It is a 5.25" bay...
  13. My Sata ports are multi colored Blue,Red, Yellow, and Purple, what do these colors mean???
  14. I only have a 300W Power Supply that won't be a problem will it???
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration SSD Computers Windows 7