Sign in with
Your question

Help, please! My computer won't turn on?

Last response: in Systems
February 22, 2013 10:15:06 PM

To be specific, my specific, the computer DOES in fact turn on. The fans spin, the CD-ROM works. However, that seems to be where it ends; the monitor does not turn on, does not display a single thing when the computer is turned on. Same goes for the keyboard and mouse.

Now, this started after I had placed in a stick of RAM after removing one. I was concerned that there was a problem with it due to several BSOD's beforehand, but didn't quite know what the reason could be. One reason, I believe, fr the BSOD's was a lack of space, which I fixed by adding a new HDD. Then I had a windows message pop up telling me I might have a problem with my RAM, so I took out a stick of RAM (smaller size than the one I took out).

I later learned that whatever the issue may have been with RAM, it wasn't affecting a problem I was having as that was due to a corrupted file.

So I go ahead and turn off the computer, unplug it, discharge, pop the lid off, remove the old stick and push int he new one. The RAM kinda slipped a little and tapped the mobo, but I didn't think much of it. I pushed it in, closed the lid. Plugged everything back in, etc.

And that's when it started. I turned it on at first, nothing appeared. The screen stayed black, and the fans started working in the computer only for the entire computer to shut off again a few seconds later. It then spontaneously rebooted itself and did this in an endless cycle until I unplugged the computer.

Not the "cycle" issue seems to be gone, and the computer stays on, but still, nothing happens.

What could this problem be? I assumed it was my mobo at first, since I unplugged my VGA and tried to plug the screen into my mobo and it still wouldn't display. I took our my RAM as well, nothing. Would that be the probably cause, and would it be possible to repair it by myself?

More about : computer turn

February 23, 2013 2:50:09 AM

Also, how would I go about doing that sound check thing? I remember seeing it in some how-to guide when building a computer makes a familiar beep when it turns on for the first time, would that not work when my ssd has windows on it already?
m
l
February 23, 2013 1:58:29 PM

Oh, and my specs are:

B75m-GL mobo
I'm not quite sure what my GFX is as I lost the case but it's an AMD Radeon in the 6k series, I'll try to get that information.
2 AREAS 8 GB RAM sticks
60 GB SSD + 140 GB HDD
My PSU I did not replace and it was pretty weak for system but I never totally used the system to its fullest so it was ever a problem for me but 12v is 218w max.
m
l
Related resources
February 23, 2013 2:14:54 PM

Do you have a speaker connected to the motherboard header or does it have one onboard? Carefully inspect the board to make sure there is no damaged traced around where the RAM contacted the board.

There is a chance the PSU died. Anything rated for something like 218w is almost certainly a piece of crap.
m
l
February 23, 2013 2:52:57 PM

smeezekitty said:
Do you have a speaker connected to the motherboard header or does it have one onboard? Carefully inspect the board to make sure there is no damaged traced around where the RAM contacted the board.

There is a chance the PSU died. Anything rated for something like 218w is almost certainly a piece of crap.

I checked where it nipped it and I don't see any damage, I have poor vision but all of the copper looks fine and unscratched to me.

I know the PSU is a piece of crap, but if it died wouldn't it not be turning on *at all*? I assumed that would be the case.

EDIT: I would actually prefer that it be a PSU problem rather than a mobo problem :p  simply because that gives me a reason to buy a new PSU which I should've done in the first place but couldn't justify since I'm short on cash nowadays.
m
l
February 23, 2013 4:24:14 PM

Anybody else =(?
m
l
February 24, 2013 3:05:07 PM

Still can't seem to make it work =\
m
l
!