Quick analogue monitor question

morron

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
Hi guys,

I currently have a 6970 and I'm using the DVI-I port to run my main monitor (24" AOC with VGA-DVI adapter think its analogue only?) I have another analogue monitor lying around that I would like to use but I'm aware I cant run it from the DVI-D port.
I'm wondering if I cant use a minidisplayport/hdmi adapter on it? Will that work?

Thanks in advance

morron

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
I just wondering if the HDMI/mini display were digital only outputs or something. I'll buy a cable on ebay now, its only a few £££ at the end of the day!

Do 690's not have 2 DVI-I out ports?

As long as it is an "active" adapter you can go DP -> VGA.

HDMI may not have the analog video you require. Most of the cables I see have this "Note : This cable don't support signal from VCR, COMPUTER or LAPTOP output, only support DVD Player output." and here is the interesting part. "Fully HDCP Compliant to provide the highest level of signal quality" HDCP does NOT work on analog at all and the cable would have to be active to make it "work".

http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx

I was always under the impression that the stock 6970 had 2 DVI-I ports.

morron

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010

No it doesnt, well at least my XFX one doesn't. There are two DVI ports, one of which says 'VGA/D' and the other just says D next to it.

Thanks for the reply I will check out those adapters

TRENDING THREADS