seezr222

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
After half hour of gameplay , I touch my 6990 and it was very hot like I'm cooking something , is that normal .?

it going to get hot in game play. the gpu fan and drivers should have speed the fan up to where you can here it. if not download asus afterburner or a program like it and make a fan profile that turns the gpu fans on max at 50-60c.

warhead0

Distinguished
I would recommend not touching it in the future.

GPU's can very easily reach temperatures in excess of 75c, you could very easily burn yourself or cause a short. the GPU is an electronic device I can't stress enough that touching it at any time while the PC is on is a very silly idea.

the hd6990 can reach temperatures up as high as 80-85 degree c though a +- 10 degrees is perfectly normal.

if it exceeds that...set up some more aggressive fan profiles and ensure you cabinet has ample air supply and cooling

a re application of thermal paste to the gpu heat sink is also advisable if every thing else is fine and its only the gpu that is over heating.

use this link to monitor temperatures:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

seezr222

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
I also have another pc ( old ) with 8800gt nvidia from 2008 and I use HWmonitor , and it record one of my game (in normal setting ) 94 c in 10 minute . And I was playing games with this old pc from 2008 and no issues

chocostain

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Your GPU is bound to get hot during game play. It also depends on the type of game you are playing. Not to mention if you're running other applications at the same time. If it uses most your computers resources then expect it to be really hot.

This is the reason why hardcore gamers have cooling systems built.

There are a lot of PC temperature monitors. You can take Real Temp for example. This really comes in handy. This way, you don't need to touch your GPU and risk being injured to be able to tell how hot your computer is.

MC_K7

Distinguished
94C seems really too hot for a 8800GT. Since it's an older PC, you probably have an old case with poor ventilation. Make sure you have many case fans, at least one in front and one behind to create proper air flow. Or it could simply be the 8800GT fan that got clogged with dust if you never cleaned it since 2008.

Did you check the temps with hwmonitor for your 6990? Since it's a dual-gpu card it's normal that it gets really hot. I guess 80-85C are normal temps under heavy use like during game play.

seezr222

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
yes I will try it in my new pc with 6990 , then I will post my temp , thanks

And I have question about custom liquid , are every hardcore gamer use custom liquid . I mean are they have to use it ?