installing an old game cd

Hi,
I had this old computer and i remembered their was an old disk in their of a
thousand games. The only thing the computer is really old and it says my
computer does not support the games. And when i put the cd in, it will not
just pop it up i have to go find it in the cd-rom file. If anyone had any
clue on what i am talking about please let me know. Thanks,
Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Sounds like you have some old DOS games on that CD...

When a game is a DOS game, it could work using compatibility mode:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292533 or by using the Multiboot
bootdisk from: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~lpcd/downloads.html
and always check at fileplanet.com to see if there's a patch available.

With DOSBOX you can emulate a DOS computer on your XP desktop:
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/information.php Or try MS Virtual PC:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/virtualpc/downloads/trial.asp
which allows you to install DOS or to run any operating system inside XP.

If you prefer to explore other advanced methods, here are two excellent
tutorials I've found on the subject: http://www.dosgames.com/faq.php and
http://home.earthlink.net/~angeldancer27/XpGameList.htm For sound
issues use: http://www.ece.mcgill.ca/~vromas/vdmsound Good Luck! :)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

"blue_skys_lisa" <blue_skys_lisa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Hi,
| I had this old computer and i remembered their was an old disk in their of a
| thousand games. The only thing the computer is really old and it says my
| computer does not support the games. And when i put the cd in, it will not
| just pop it up i have to go find it in the cd-rom file. If anyone had any
| clue on what i am talking about please let me know. Thanks,
| Lisa

D:?WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
application.

Thats what it says when i go to the compatibility mode. I don't know if that
will help you help me solve my problem but i hope so. Also when i go and put
my cd in it will not just bring the items up i have to go and search in my
hard drive for it. How can i find out if its foresurely the right item that i
am looking for?

Sorry but i am not the entire best with these things. Thanks for helping me
out

-Lisa

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Lisa,
>
> Sounds like you have some old DOS games on that CD...
>
> When a game is a DOS game, it could work using compatibility mode:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292533 or by using the Multiboot
> bootdisk from: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~lpcd/downloads.html
> and always check at fileplanet.com to see if there's a patch available.
>
> With DOSBOX you can emulate a DOS computer on your XP desktop:
> http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/information.php Or try MS Virtual PC:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/virtualpc/downloads/trial.asp
> which allows you to install DOS or to run any operating system inside XP.
>
> If you prefer to explore other advanced methods, here are two excellent
> tutorials I've found on the subject: http://www.dosgames.com/faq.php and
> http://home.earthlink.net/~angeldancer27/XpGameList.htm For sound
> issues use: http://www.ece.mcgill.ca/~vromas/vdmsound Good Luck! :)
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>

> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
>

> "blue_skys_lisa" <blue_skys_lisa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Hi,
> | I had this old computer and i remembered their was an old disk in their of a
> | thousand games. The only thing the computer is really old and it says my
> | computer does not support the games. And when i put the cd in, it will not
> | just pop it up i have to go find it in the cd-rom file. If anyone had any
> | clue on what i am talking about please let me know. Thanks,
> | Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Let's tackle the error first:

You can solve that problem by replacing the file:

Try this easy solution from Kelly T. first:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit

Otherwise...

1. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\repair
Right-Click and Copy the file named: autoexec.nt *

2. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32
Right-Click in that window to Paste the file
(Answer yes if prompted to replace existing file)

* Note: If the file autoexec.nt doesn't exist on your system
right click the link below and select the "Save Target As.."
option to save the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32
http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/AUTOEXEC.NT

--

| D:?WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
| MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
| application.
|

| Thats what it says when i go to the compatibility mode. I don't know if that
| will help you help me solve my problem but i hope so. Also when i go and put
| my cd in it will not just bring the items up i have to go and search in my
| hard drive for it. How can i find out if its foresurely the right item that i
| am looking for?
|
| Sorry but i am not the entire best with these things. Thanks for helping me
| out
|
| -Lisa
|

| "Jimmy S." wrote:
|

| > Hi Lisa,
| >
| > Sounds like you have some old DOS games on that CD...
| >
| > When a game is a DOS game, it could work using compatibility mode:
| > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292533 or by using the Multiboot
| > bootdisk from: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~lpcd/downloads.html
| > and always check at fileplanet.com to see if there's a patch available.
| >
| > With DOSBOX you can emulate a DOS computer on your XP desktop:
| > http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/information.php Or try MS Virtual PC:
| > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/virtualpc/downloads/trial.asp
| > which allows you to install DOS or to run any operating system inside XP.
| >
| > If you prefer to explore other advanced methods, here are two excellent
| > tutorials I've found on the subject: http://www.dosgames.com/faq.php and
| > http://home.earthlink.net/~angeldancer27/XpGameList.htm For sound
| > issues use: http://www.ece.mcgill.ca/~vromas/vdmsound Good Luck! :)
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >

| > Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
| > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| >

| > "blue_skys_lisa" <blue_skys_lisa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > | Hi,
| > | I had this old computer and i remembered their was an old disk in their of a
| > | thousand games. The only thing the computer is really old and it says my
| > | computer does not support the games. And when i put the cd in, it will not
| > | just pop it up i have to go find it in the cd-rom file. If anyone had any
| > | clue on what i am talking about please let me know. Thanks,
| > | Lisa

Hello

Thanks for help, replacing that file sure helped me install the game (Sid
Meyer's Alpha Centauri), but there is still a problem. I get the message
that CPU is not supported, and if I click "Ignore" or something.. it just
crashes.
Now I had this problem before, in other older game (Thief), but there, you
could go to Task Manager, and from there, get program to use only one CPU
(Set Affinity). The thing is, Thief allowed you to get to the Menu before
freezing, but AC crashes right away...

Thanks in advance

Pavel_RP

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> [...]
> | > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/virtualpc/downloads/trial.asp
> | > which allows you to install DOS or to run any operating system inside XP.
> | >
> | > If you prefer to explore other advanced methods, here are two excellent
> | > tutorials I've found on the subject: http://www.dosgames.com/faq.php and
> | > http://home.earthlink.net/~angeldancer27/XpGameList.htm For sound
> | > issues use: http://www.ece.mcgill.ca/~vromas/vdmsound Good Luck! :)
> | >
> | > --
> | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
> | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> | >

> | > Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> | > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
> | > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
> | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.

Hi Pavel,

Interesting problem. I wonder what would happen if you
opened a DOS CMD window, set it's affinity and then
launched the game from within that window. Another idea
would be to use Compatibility Mode or DOS BOX.

--

"Pavel_RP" <Pavel_RP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0F36B925-7DB6-49AD-B3BF-D9ECDD243804@microsoft.com...
| Hello
|
| Thanks for help, replacing that file sure helped me install the game (Sid
| Meyer's Alpha Centauri), but there is still a problem. I get the message
| that CPU is not supported, and if I click "Ignore" or something.. it just
| crashes.
| Now I had this problem before, in other older game (Thief), but there, you
| could go to Task Manager, and from there, get program to use only one CPU
| (Set Affinity). The thing is, Thief allowed you to get to the Menu before
| freezing, but AC crashes right away...
|
| Thanks in advance
|
| Pavel_RP
|
| "Jimmy S." wrote:
|
| > Hi Lisa,
| >
| > Let's tackle the error first:
| >
| > You can solve that problem by replacing the file:
| >
| > Try this easy solution from Kelly T. first:
| > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit
| >
| > Otherwise...
| >
| > 1. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\repair
| > Right-Click and Copy the file named: autoexec.nt *
| >
| > 2. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32
| > Right-Click in that window to Paste the file
| > (Answer yes if prompted to replace existing file)
| >

| > * Note: If the file autoexec.nt doesn't exist on your system
| > right click the link below and select the "Save Target As.."
| > option to save the file in C:\WINDOWS\System32
| > http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/AUTOEXEC.NT
| >

| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >

| > Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
| > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| >

| > "blue_skys_lisa" <blue_skys_lisa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > | D:?WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
| > | MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
| > | application.
| > |
| > |
| > | Thats what it says when i go to the compatibility mode. I don't know if that
| > | will help you help me solve my problem but i hope so. Also when i go and put
| > | my cd in it will not just bring the items up i have to go and search in my
| > | hard drive for it. How can i find out if its foresurely the right item that i
| > | am looking for?
| > |
| > | Sorry but i am not the entire best with these things. Thanks for helping me
| > | out
| > |
| > | -Lisa
| > |