Looking for Aftermarket Cooler Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

omniscientonus

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
I'm looking for an aftermarket cooler to put on my VGA XFX HD-687X-CNFC 2G R (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150563)

I tried looking it up on google but it was hard to figure out whether or not certain ones would fit on my card or not, and for every person who said everything went great, there was another who said it didn't fit at all. I'm not all that tech savvy, but I do purchase and build all of my own PC's including things like aftermarket coolers for the CPU. This is just my first time dealing with a GPU cooler.

I'm not too worried about temps as the stock fan takes care of it enough (running 45C idle and 75-80C under load).

The only reason I am even bothering with the aftermarket one is because this fan is starting to die out on me. It stopped spinning yesterday, and it kicked back on again today. Don't want to wait for it to die out again.

I cleaned the card (and the rest of my PC while I was at it) yesterday, but it didn't make any difference (wasn't that dirty to begin with).

Can anyone recommend a decent cooler for me? I'd like to stick below $60, but I'm a sucker for quality so I can go up to $100 (any more and I feel like I might as well just upgrade the card to a Radeon HD 7850 2 GB).

I'm looking for easy installation first, cooling next and quiet last (my rig is fairly noisy because I don't mind it).

omniscientonus

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
@ilysaml: That was the cooler I saw recommended the most, but it also sounds difficult to install based on all of the feedback. This is basically what got me to put this question up here. This one seems advanced and I've never done it before. Seems doable, but sounds like it might be a headache.... ?

@coozie7: The first review on Newegg for that cooler specifically says "Does not fit an XFX Radeon HD 6870"?

Also, I bought the card on neweeg back on 1/8/2012, so I don't know if it's out of warranty or not, but I don't like the idea of having to wait to send the card in for RMA. I don't have any suitable backup at the moment, so I would have to go without a computer for awhile. Seeing as that's pretty much all I do, I'd rather pay the $50 to not wait.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished

omniscientonus

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
I ended up contacting XFX's customer support and they are supposed to be sending me a new cooler to attach to the card myself.

Although, they took a full week to even respond to me, and now I sent a reply back letting them know that I'm OK with just installing the cooler myself, so I'm expecting another week before they even get ready to ship it.

Hopefully this goes well...

Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts