comm ports

G

i have a requirement to build a pc with 4 comm ports available for peripherals, all plugged in at the same time. what on earth do i need to do this. the OS is likely to be ME.
pc cards?, config? can't be done ?
any advise is welcome
thanks

Glen

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.bb-elec.com/productlist.asp?Dept_id=40" target="_new"> kinda expensive but click here </A>

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my north AND south bridges for trolls</font color=blue>

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
lol hey it was the first place I found that even had em .. know of any cheaper sites for this guy ?

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my north AND south bridges for trolls</font color=blue>

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
glens,

Worked for a company last year who manufactured DOS based EPOS systems. They used a card (ISA or PCI, depending on PC model) which provided 4 com ports, all of which were used.

The cards work from Windows too, if this sounds like what you are looking for, please post and I'll find out the details.

G

probably your m/b already has a couple comm ports. If so why not use em. Then you only need a controller with 2 more comm ports.

I just saw a generic PCI card on pricewatch.com with two 16550UART ports and a parallel port built in for less than $30.

This is a possible task which you have started. One thing to keep in mind while setting all this up is: you better have four IRQ's to spare or you'll most likely have conflicts, while simultaneously using them.

My record is like 3. One for mouse, one to communicate with an external PC board, and one to take samples from the scope. All worked well, but I was careful setting it up.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I've never seen those before, that's why I was surprised by the price. I would've expected them to be cheaper.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

G

Those are too expensive. Those ones lagger put up look to be industrial quality, thus all the RS422/485 and other oddball comm protocol cards. Unless you work on the factory floor or something that high end junk probably aint worth it.

For end user RS232 check pricewatch. Now I found a ISA slot card with 2 16550UARTs for $20 before shipping. Again, check pricewatch it is your friend.

G

i will have all pci slots and comm ports available, hammerhead's post was rather extravagent. i will take up the advise on utilising the 2 ports on the mobo, but i still will need another two for the remaining apps.

i am hoping for a cheap solution in and around the £30 regions

thanks for you help

glen

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I think this would work. Please let me know.

<A HREF="http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=50076648" target="_new">PCI Card</A>

º :smile: º <font color=blue>You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink: