Sign in with
Your question

My Recovery Partition D is Full

Last response: in Windows 7
March 14, 2012 4:18:18 PM

Hello,
Just installed Windows 7 (had Vista before) on my Dell Inspiron and now my Recovery Partition D is full. I keep getting a message "Your Partition D is Full" and when trying to download my McAfee Antivirus I get a message the destination drive is full and it doesn't installe. The D drive has zero space available. Nothing but systems files are saved on this partition. I tried everything I know, even trying to delete the "program manager" and "windows" folders, but these last actions could not be performed becasue it seems I need permission from TrustedInstaller. I did not go any further because don't want to harm the PC. What can I do to free space on this partition or how can i redirect downloads to go to my "C" partition, which has plenty of space. Thanks!
March 14, 2012 4:29:33 PM

if you dont want vista at all, reinstall windows 7 but this time, when it asks which drive/partition to install on, click advanced then delete everything there, then create a new partition with the default size (it will pick the largest possible. then continue.

this should solve this problem.
March 14, 2012 4:37:37 PM

oh on a side note, deleting any main folder you get after a fresh install like "program files", "users", "windows" etc will break your computer.

also if you don't know what it is. you probably shouldn't delete it.
if you want to remove a program, go into the "control panel" and then "programs and features", then right click on the program you want to uninstall then click uninstall.
if "uninstall" isnt there then click "change" the windows that pops up will have an uninstall option.

also to clean up useless files go to the start menu and type "disk" into the search box. then click on disk cleanup.
Related resources
March 14, 2012 4:39:35 PM

Ok. Thanks. I'll try reinstalling Windows 7 following your recommendations above. Will let you know how it goes.
August 9, 2012 7:06:38 AM

so u can expand your recovery drive by following these instructions. ur disk manager is as follows (for windows 7) start,control panel,system and security,administrative tools,computer mangment, disk managment on left side.NOTE chances are your recover drive is d
In Disk Manager, right-click the basic volume you want to extend.

Click Extend Volumeā€¦.

Follow the instructions on your screen.

To extend a basic volume using a command line

Open a command prompt and type diskpart.

At the DISKPART prompt, type list volume. Make note of the basic volume you want to extend.

At the DISKPART prompt, type select volume <volumenumber>. This selects the basic volume volumenumber that you want to extend into contiguous, empty space on the same disk.

At the DISKPART prompt, type extend . This extends the selected volume by size megabytes (MB).

Value Description
list volume
Displays a list of basic and dynamic volumes on all disks.

select volume
Selects the specified volume, where volumenumber is the volume number, and gives it focus. If no volume is specified, the select command lists the current volume with focus. You can specify the volume by number, drive letter, or mount point path. On a basic disk, selecting a volume also gives the corresponding partition focus.

extend
Extends the volume with focus into next contiguous unallocated space. For basic volumes, the unallocated space must be on the same disk as, and must follow (be of higher sector offset than) the partition with focus. A dynamic simple or spanned volume can be extended to any empty space on any dynamic disk. Using this command, you can extend an existing volume into newly created space.

If the partition was previously formatted with the NTFS file system, the file system is automatically extended to occupy the larger partition. No data loss occurs. If the partition was previously formatted with any file system format other than NTFS, the command fails with no change to the partition.

You cannot extend the current system or boot partitions.

size= size
The amount of space, in megabytes (MB), to add to the current partition. If you do not specify a size, the disk is extended to take up all of the next contiguous unallocated space.

Additional considerations
To extend a basic volume, it must either raw (not formatted with a file system), or it must be formatted with the NTFS file system.

If the disk does not contain boot or system partitions, you can extend the volume into other non-boot or non-system disks, but the disk will be converted to a dynamic disk (if it can be upgraded).

Additional references
Command-line syntax notation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
August 9, 2012 7:10:09 AM

i just wanted to add if you need help with instructions you can email me at kiernan.natalie@yahoo.com i would be glad to explaine it
!