January 7, 2013 9:07:25 PM

Maybe I should pay more attention to it then... :-D
m
l
January 7, 2013 9:31:05 PM

bigshootr8 said:
Same thing happens in politics to :p 

Politics is the #1 leader in misleading BS :lol: 

Makes PhysX marketing look downright honest...
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 7, 2013 9:36:17 PM

Well Physx is a nice element to a game I don't necessarily think that it is dishonest or is something that should be discounted like shopping for a car some cars appeal to some, some do not.
m
l
January 7, 2013 9:42:26 PM

bigshootr8 said:
Well Physx is a nice element to a game I don't necessarily thing that it is dishonest or is something that should be discounted like shopping for a car some cars appeal to some, some do not.

The way it's marketed is dishonest. It's nearly ALWAYS marketed by Nvidia and their fanboys as something you only get with an Nvidia GPU. Notice how the comparisons are always between high PhysX and no PhysX? And yet almost all the time you either can enable high physX or at least low-medium without an Nvidia GPU.

But comparing high to medium PhysX wouldn't make a very good marketing video to try to brainwash people into buying your brand, now would it? :ange: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2013 9:44:11 PM

bigshootr8 said:
Well Physx is a nice element to a game I don't necessarily thing that it is dishonest or is something that should be discounted like shopping for a car some cars appeal to some, some do not.

+1. A video showing a comparison of the two is hard to argue with... the effects are plain to see. I don't think it's even an official nVidia video anyway, so not sure how it's marketing.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2013 9:46:01 PM

Mack, you said yourself that you take a huge framerate hit (30fps vs 50fps wasn't it?) on a very well overclocked i7. Not many of us have that much CPU muscle to play with, and 30fps is still only borderline smooth. What about i3/i5/FX users? Or old stuff?
m
l
January 7, 2013 9:51:07 PM

The visual difference between medium and high PhysX is fairly small and most modern CPUs would be able to handle medium PhysX...

And I'm fairly certain the Borderlands 2 video has its origins in Nvidia marketing.

I always recommend an Nvidia card to someone wanting to dump a lot of time into one or more PhysX games, but for people who play lots of games or who will just play through a PhysX game once and be done with it, PhysX is really meaningless for a purchase. You can still get by in terms of visual quality without an Nvidia GPU so long as a PhysX game isn't your main timesink.
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 7, 2013 9:58:15 PM

Well I think the reason why its marketed the way that it is, if you will take a chance to listen is that it is rendered through your gpu rather then your cpu and I think that is really the benefit of using a nvidia card is how its done. Now you could get into how it looks is it game breaking and that would be up to opinion. For me it is with the games that I play. I don't think its marketed in a dishonest way. Why would someone advertise something like physx if it could be done with a AMD card because it can't its not the same thing. Havok is a Phsyx engine but its not the same thing. Now you can get into a argument about how its shady for Nvidia to lock people into there games to get the eye candy and that would be fair but I think you are a little off base. I came around and agree with most of what you said but I think you still are a little off in some places.
m
l
January 7, 2013 11:10:57 PM

Oh I understand why they market it the way they do. It makes perfect sense for them. If I was Nvidia, I wouldn't want the cat out of the bag that you often don't need an Nvidia GPU for PhysX, either. They tell the half of the truth that helps sell their products, as they should.

What DOESN'T make sense is when people just suck the marketing down hook line and sinker and then spew the same marketing lines and half truths back verbatim on forums.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
January 7, 2013 11:20:56 PM

Physx. = Unstoppable! :whistle: 
m
l
January 7, 2013 11:30:15 PM

bigcyco1 said:
Physx. = Unstoppable! :whistle: 

m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 7, 2013 11:36:32 PM

The only thing that bugs me is when people ask if they need a physx card to run physx at this point its like man >< ugg! For some games it makes a difference quite a huge difference but I don't know why we are focusing on physx so much here the OP plays skyrim cant we all just agree on AMD being better with Skyrim and more then just because of the chip.
m
l
January 8, 2013 1:17:16 AM

I never use phys x so thats nit a prob with me
m
l
January 8, 2013 11:30:37 PM

The fact of the matter is, AMD is better for high memory requirement games, multi-screen setups/high resolutions. Nvidia is best for a single 1080p monitor and a game that's more CPU-intensive, like Battlefield.
AMD is better for rendering/video editing/semi-professional use as well. Not quite workstation use, but at least editing.
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 8, 2013 11:37:53 PM

Yea love the smiley mack :p  I feel like both solution is probably okay for semi professional work for video rendering maybe more so on the ATi side with the exclusion maybe of something like after effects with cuda.
m
l
January 9, 2013 12:55:47 AM

Yea, im only going to be video rendering, and a bit of work in cinema 4d.
So I guess the 7970 is a good bet :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 1:02:45 AM

This is driving me crazy, no one has said it yet so i will....Physx Sucks. No offense to anyone I do own Nvidia just telling it like it is.
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 1:42:57 AM

No offense taken its an opinion you either love it or hate it seems I like that I get a more complete experience the way it was mean't to be seen rather then something missing from the game shrugs but to each is own.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 4:41:42 AM

why not have best of both worlds?
a 7970 as primary card while gtx 650 as physx card
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 7:08:06 AM

You'd need some kind of hack to pair PhysX with a Radeon. As for "PhysX sucks", that's a pretty stupid statement. I think we can all agree that even if it's just a minor benefit, it's still nicer to have it than not have it. I don't see how something that's better to have than not have can suck.

I personally appreciate playing games the way the developer intends them to be played. That's why I don't like gaming without everything maxed, because that's the experience the developer created. But playing BL2 on my Radeon meant I missed out on a lot of the eye candy and wasn't seeing the game at it's best. This is what I could have been seeing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAfzjTAhpBk&feature=play...

Had I waited to play it on a GeForce. Comparisons start around 40 secs in and show that you easily can see the difference. I don't believe for a second that Gearbox couldn't have achieved the same effects with Havok physics or even an in-house solution, but they chose PhysX, and as a result, that's the only way those effects can be seen. Like I say though, I'm not arguing it's a major advantage anyway (just that it doesn't "suck") so I'll leave it at that.
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 8:02:22 AM

Agreed I look at things when people discount a opinion of visuals as a bias. Because already you are passing judgment on something discounting what it's doing and just saying well I don't care and it sucks and the end. Being objective I find is key when recommending computer hardware if you can't be objective it will truly show its called fanboys. And just because you don't enjoy something someone else may. A persons trash is another persons treasure.

I would like with games that use physx for them to have AMD able to use there Havok physx to render the physx engine. I don't like when games are pigeon holed into well in order to see these effects ran by the gpu you need this card. I don't like it so hopefully in the future I know however unlikely it would be nice to have both companies showing in the physx argument I want to see benchmarks were both companies get compared apples to apples instead of apples to oranges.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 8:37:00 AM

bigshootr8 said:
Being objective I find is key when recommending computer hardware if you can't be objective it will truly show its called fanboys. And just because you don't enjoy something someone else may. A persons trash is another persons treasure.

Huge +1 to this. And to the use of Havok. Physics modelling by its nature is something more suited to SIMD/parallel processing (that takes place on GPU, not CPU) so the best solution is something that's GPU-accelerated but also open. Obviously it's not up to us which physics engine is implemented though, we go with whatever the developer decides!
m
l
January 9, 2013 9:36:40 AM

sam_p_lay said:
This is what I could have been seeing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAfzjTAhpBk&feature=play...

Had I waited to play it on a GeForce.

Hey wanna know what's cool? That's what I'm seeing all the time in that game on my AMD setup :bounce: 

It's almost like Nvidia's marketing is full of half-truths, or something... :whistle: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 9:41:34 AM

Urgh not this again. I don't have a highly overclocked i7 2600K like you do, so I don't have the CPU muscle to do that. And even on your setup you said you were dropping to 30fps in combat with PhysX on your CPU.

I'm disappointed I didn't see BL2 at its best and you're gonna have a hard time convincing me I'm not disappointed. I'm sure you'll try though, so go ahead.
m
l
January 9, 2013 9:49:03 AM

Yes this again! And anywhere that video shows up [:randomizer] :kaola: 
m
l
January 9, 2013 10:13:16 AM

mohit9206 said:
why not have best of both worlds?
a 7970 as primary card while gtx 650 as physx card

I currently see no point since none of the games I play use physx, but eventually, i might do that, or just get a geforce card when the time to upgrade comes, which should be in a few years.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 10:23:51 AM

BigMack70 said:
Yes this again! And anywhere that video shows up [:randomizer] :kaola: 

Sounds like a challenge :-D You can't see every thread... unless you're unemployed and really bored I suppose. I guess the start of that sentence was a challenge also. Damnit.

You're not gonna explain to me how I'm actually not disappointed at all and was mistaken in thinking I am? :-P
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 1:27:39 PM

For so long Nvidia has been dedicating die space for Physx logic, I rather them use it for other things. I just wish more games would push 3D!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 1:45:08 PM

Not fond of the headsets, but I guess it's another example of different things being important to different people. Something glasses-less like the 3DS impresses me much more (plus Mario Kart 7!).
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 5:33:09 PM

3D has more of a negative feel from the base then Physx does at the moment. People are more about explosions then they are 3D. and mack lets not get into the Physx argument again you use your CPU to do it which isn't the same as your graphics card holding the load. And just remember real men walk away from explosion.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 5:38:13 PM

"SWF file" makes me want to enable Flash in Tom's again... but then I remember their "Tech News TV Show" :fou: 
m
l
January 9, 2013 5:47:42 PM

ultrakill said:
gtx 670 > hd 7970

hd7970 ghz edition > gtx 670

the hd 7970 normal and ghz edition uses more POWER so you need a biger power supply

i would go with the gtx 670

look at this one EVGA GTX 670 FTW my personal choice

http://eu.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=02G-P4-2678...

Somebody didn't read the thread :lol: 

Anyways, 3D gives me a headache... I prefer my high res IPS goodness :sol: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 5:47:54 PM

The EVGA FTW would be my choice also.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 5:48:38 PM

BigMack70 said:
I prefer my high res IPS goodness :sol: 

+1 to that! I'd never go back to TN panels.
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 6:42:13 PM

I agree with you on that Mack IPS screens, although Benq does make a really sweet 120hz monitor. :) 
m
l
May 2, 2013 11:48:07 AM

For everybody's information: BF4 Gameplay that everyone knows about was being run on AMD HD7990! So the AMD side will probably get better drivers on that side. I am no fanboy and having a problem myself at choosing between the 7970 and the 670; i saw on the LinusTechTips channel on youtube that he makes videocard showdowns (benchmarks) and the 7970 keeps beating the 670 by around 10-20% each time...
m
l
May 12, 2013 6:25:03 PM

AMD has been getting a lot more performance recently and game devs are starting to realize this. 7970 Ghz>680 AND for less price. Next gen 9000 series GPU's are gonna be glorious, while Nvidia is only releasing what a die shrink? While AMD is releasing a die shrink AND an architecture change. Big risks with potentially big rewards.
m
l
!