Sign in with
Your question

Suspect a bad PSU or mobo or both. Desperate to figure out problem.

Last response: in Systems
February 23, 2013 4:23:35 AM

So a few months ago I built a PC and it was working fine until I added an HDD in addition to my SSD a few days later. The computer would no longer boot after. I replaced the mobo. Nothing. I replaced the CPU. Nothing. I replaced the PSU. Nothing. I replaced the mobo again suspecting the original PSU fried it. On my 3rd mobo it started working....for a day. It randomly shut off and I got it working again by removing the disk drive. This is what leads me to believe that the PSU is just a POS (it's an OCZ). But I would like second opinions before I go out and buy another PSU when it could very well be that the (ASUS) motherboard is the (or also a) POS. Opinions?
February 23, 2013 4:28:15 AM

What is the PSU wattage? and list all your specs.
CPU
GPU
MOBO
PSU
HDD
SSD
Ect....
February 23, 2013 6:08:04 PM

redguy54 said:
What is the PSU wattage? and list all your specs.
CPU
GPU
MOBO
PSU
HDD
SSD
Ect....

Here's my parts list:
*AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core ProcessorASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+
*G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
*Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
*Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
*XFX Core Edition FX-787A-CNFC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB
*Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case
*OCZ StealthXstream II 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V /EPS12V Power Supply
*Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer
*Windows 7 (OEM) (64-bit)
*Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard
Related resources
February 25, 2013 5:10:21 PM

Anyone? I'd like to know if it is the PSU so I can replace it before it fries another motherboard :(  I'd also like to be able to get it working with the HDD...
February 25, 2013 5:57:17 PM

Just a suggestion, what HDD are you booting off of? Maybe something in the BIOS got mixed up and is booting from the wrong HDD?

I had a similar problem when I built my new PC and I had to change the setting in BIOS to go from the correct HDD or in my case the SSD
February 25, 2013 11:20:53 PM

Rosco2382 said:
Just a suggestion, what HDD are you booting off of? Maybe something in the BIOS got mixed up and is booting from the wrong HDD?

I had a similar problem when I built my new PC and I had to change the setting in BIOS to go from the correct HDD or in my case the SSD

I'm booting from the SSD. The issue you had would explain why my computer wouldn't boot when both were connected, but not really why that would happen when it was just the SSD. Unless that issue could somehow damage the motherboard.

Here's a timeline of how everything went down:

1. Build a PC with only one hard drive: the SSD.
2. Install an HDD in addition to the SSD. PC won't boot. Can't even get into BIOS.
3. Remove HDD, PC boots.
4. After a day of use, the PC shuts off and won't boot.
5. I disconnect the disk drive and PC doesn't boot.
6. Disconnect the optical drive, PC boots.
7. Install HDD one more time. PC doesn't boot. Even without the optical or HDD.

This is where I am currently and am worried that it will not boot (or even ruin the mobo) if I try to reconnect the disk drive and/or the HDD.
February 26, 2013 1:42:17 AM

well if everything worked with the SSD fine until you added the HDD then im led to belive its something with the HDD, anybody else? thats the next thing in his timeline, as soon as he put it in the computer would not boot
February 26, 2013 1:45:34 AM

Try hooking the harddrive up to another computer to troubleshoot further
March 1, 2013 7:37:25 PM

redguy54 said:
Try hooking the harddrive up to another computer to troubleshoot further

I did. The HDD works fine. I hooked it up to another computer and formatted it. Once I plugged it into my PC, it stopped working again (even without the HDD installed).

While it was working temporarily, I got into BIOS and looked at the hardware monitor and got these values for the voltage:

Are these values normal?
March 1, 2013 7:57:23 PM

I don't know what normal Vcore for AMD cpus are but the test of the values are within tolerance.
March 1, 2013 8:37:09 PM

smeezekitty said:
I don't know what normal Vcore for AMD cpus are but the test of the values are within tolerance.

Thank you. But the values being normal when working doesn't necessarily rule out the PSU as the problem, correct?

Is it possible that the PC won't boot because the voltage is going above tolerance when I connect the HDD?
March 21, 2013 9:57:07 AM

Would buying a new PSU and mobo solve my problem? Based on the symptoms, pretty much every other possible faulty part has been ruled out, no?
!