Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard Problems!

Last response: in Systems
February 23, 2013 6:06:20 AM

Hello everyone!

I'm in the process of building a computer for a friend that needs one now. Here's the story. I buy all of the parts, brand new from Newegg and after waiting a week for them to get here, I put everything together correctly. Being A+ certified, I should know whether or not everything is correct. During the first time, I put the motherboard in the case and realized that I needed to put risers to keep it from touching the case thus causing a short.

After that, I put the motherboard on a wooden desk to be sure that everything is still working properly. At this point, it is. I put it back in the case with the screws screwed in the risers and fastened well. Nothing is touching the metal casing. I turn the computer on and it begins turning on and off continuously. I reset the CMOS, that doesn't work. I check the CPU socket pins for burn marks etc. same result. I then decide to remove the RAM and that didn't help.

At that point, I figured this was the motherboard. I RMAd the motherboard back to Newegg and bought a new one. This time, I go through the procedure correctly with the same CPU and RAM. I turn it on and this time, just before the POST procedure, it turns of randomly. I check to make sure everything is seated properly, etc. I decide to give it another go. This time, it sparked!

I'm using an Intel Pentium G2020 with 4 GB DDR3-1333 Kingston RAM. I tried these motherboards: MSI B75MA-E33 (the one I RMAd due to assumed bad motherboard) and MSI B75MA-P45 (the one I have now that sparked).

The parts are all compatible with each other. This makes no sense! I tried two different power supplies with both boards. So, I know it's not that. The CPU is seated properly (the arrow symbol is pointing to the bottom left).

What's going on? If anyone has any answers that may be of help, please feel free to share! Don't be afraid to get technical. At this point, I'm willing to do whatever. I've build many systems for friends in the past and I've never come across an issue quite like this.

More about : motherboard problems

a b B Homebuilt system
a c 103 V Motherboard
February 23, 2013 6:11:29 AM

So it works outside the case but restarts when in the case.
m
l
February 23, 2013 6:22:31 AM

bignastyid said:
So it works outside the case but restarts when in the case.

No, even outside the case it didn't work. In fact, it sparked when it was on the table. I also forgot to mention that they both sparked up.
m
l
Related resources
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
a c 156 V Motherboard
February 23, 2013 8:08:56 AM

System specs - all system specs including both power supplies?
m
l
February 23, 2013 2:18:20 PM

jsc said:
System specs - all system specs including both power supplies?

Yes, everything was on the desk.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 23, 2013 2:35:09 PM

Bad PSU killing motherboards?
I don't know what your equipment is, but what I would do is use a wire to jump the "power on" pins of the PSU and test the voltage but not connected to anything else.
m
l
February 23, 2013 2:40:57 PM

At this point, I think I'm just going to go a new direction altogether. New CPU, RAM, and new motherboard form factor. The micro ATX board was originally shorting against the case. I don't have any way of testing whether or not the CPU and RAM still work. As far as I know, they may be fried as well.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 23, 2013 2:45:10 PM

cyanghost109 said:
At this point, I think I'm just going to go a new direction altogether. New CPU, RAM, and new motherboard form factor. The micro ATX board was originally shorting against the case. I don't have any way of testing whether or not the CPU and RAM still work. As far as I know, they may be fried as well.

CPU and RAM usually survive ok even with a board short.
m
l
February 23, 2013 2:48:05 PM

smeezekitty said:
CPU and RAM usually survive ok even with a board short.

True, but either a component on the motherboard or a component itself sparked. It literally made a crackle sound kinda like a mini firework. Looked like it came from the RAM area. Not sure where, though. I see no burn marks on any of motherboard chips so it's hard to say. What do you think?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 23, 2013 3:13:41 PM

cyanghost109 said:
True, but either a component on the motherboard or a component itself sparked. It literally made a crackle sound kinda like a mini firework. Looked like it came from the RAM area. Not sure where, though. I see no burn marks on any of motherboard chips so it's hard to say. What do you think?

Motherboards can easily smoke with a case short. The PSU puts out 10-30A which is plenty to fry chips big time.

RAM is cheap enough you could probably just write it off as a loss. The CPU is probably still good though IMO.
m
l
February 23, 2013 5:25:26 PM

I'm probably going to RMA the board, CPU and the memory and go with a standard ATX board as the Antec Illusion case I chose doesn't seem to be fit for micro ATX boards. Thanks for your help!
m
l
June 25, 2013 10:22:05 AM

Hi I am not here to answer your question but I would like to knwo how you cleared the CMOS for your MSI B75MA-P45 motherboard becuas I'm having some trouble doing it on mine
m
l
!