Sign in with
Your question

Running a gtx 480 as dedicated physx card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 5, 2013 8:40:45 PM

Hi I have a pc with two gtx 670's in SLI. I have a GTX 480 sitting around collecting dust. Is it possible to install this card and have it run as a dedicated physx card? Is it even possible? If so, would it even be worth it? Thanks!
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 5, 2013 8:42:09 PM

Yes it is possible do you run games that use Physx? Also, I would like to point out that I run a single 670 and I run these games on physx on high with no problems what so ever so I don't think its worth it I think its worth your time to sell it and make some money off of it :) 

To name the key ones:
Batman AA, AC
Borderlands 2
Mirrors Edge
Metro 2033
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2013 9:03:17 PM

Maintainin said:
Hi I have a pc with two gtx 670's in SLI. I have a GTX 480 sitting around collecting dust. Is it possible to install this card and have it run as a dedicated physx card? Is it even possible? If so, would it even be worth it? Thanks!

Yes, but keep in mind, you're going to need a big ass powersupply that can dish out a good 1000w to power two 670's and a 480
m
l
Related resources
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 5, 2013 11:00:23 PM

He wont need it not about the power supply but the 480 as a physx card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2013 11:06:23 PM

It will slow you down. Let your SLI 670's do the physX as well if you want to run the 3 games that use physX. Pairing an older card with 2 newer cards, the 480 is going to be such a bottleneck, you will probably get worse frame rates using it, than without.

There is a youtube video of a guy doing benchmarks out there with an older card like that and proved what I said above.
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 5, 2013 11:32:39 PM

Not true. A 480 would serve as a good Physx card if a Physx card was needed. A 480 is fast enough to handle Physx.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 5, 2013 11:39:31 PM

I don't know why you would need a PhysX card if you have 670's in SLI. It probably won't do much for you.
m
l
January 6, 2013 12:56:05 AM

Ok, we'll if it isn't going to do much of anything I won't bother. I figured if the 480 was handling straight physx it would take alot off the other two to perform the other graphical duties. My understanding is the 480 is still near the top on most charts, albeit power hungry and hot running. But I really don't know much about how it all works.

On a side note, is it better to set the physx in the control panel to use one of the gpu's or set to CPU? I have a 3770k for CPU.

Thanks for the replies. This place is awesome as usual. :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2013 1:07:44 AM

Maintainin said:
Ok, we'll if it isn't going to do much of anything I won't bother. I figured if the 480 was handling straight physx it would take alot off the other two to perform the other graphical duties. My understanding is the 480 is still near the top on most charts, albeit power hungry and hot running. But I really don't know much about how it all works.

On a side note, is it better to set the physx in the control panel to use one of the gpu's or set to CPU? I have a 3770k for CPU.

Thanks for the replies. This place is awesome as usual. :) 
Deffo GPU, don't even bother w/ CPU PhysX.
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 6, 2013 1:09:59 AM

Definitely GPU but you have 2 so you can choose one and go from there :) 
m
l
!