Sign in with
Your question

Hardware Upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 5, 2013 9:05:09 PM

Hello,
Firstly i want to thank you for all the answers and support you'll give me! I'm going to renew my PC very soon by buying a new graphic card (actually i have an old 9600 gtx) and some more Ram. Now, after some 'hard' searching, i came up and decided to take the MSI GeForce GTX 660 OC - 2 GB GDDR5.

My System is:
Name Acer Aspire M7711
CPU Intel Core 2 Quad9550 2.83 Ghz
Mainboard Acer FMCP7AM (Chipset NVIDIA nForce 730i)
4 Gb (Soon 8) DDR2
PSU LITEON PE 6451-1 450 W

What i'm concerned about is, firstly, if the gpu is totally compatible with my actual setting (or if i may encounter some kind of troubles, like wattage or similar) and secondly if it's worth the buy and it's valuable and 'logical' in my system (of course, if you have other options instead you can talke freely!). Again, thank you for all the support you'll give me! Have a nice day :) 

More about : hardware upgrade

January 5, 2013 9:12:36 PM

nannolenno said:
Hello,
Firstly i want to thank you for all the answers and support you'll give me! I'm going to renew my PC very soon by buying a new graphic card (actually i have an old 9600 gtx) and some more Ram. Now, after some 'hard' searching, i came up and decided to take the MSI GeForce GTX 660 OC - 2 GB GDDR5.

My System is:
Name Acer Aspire M7711
CPU Intel Core 2 Quad9550 2.83 Ghz
Mainboard Acer FMCP7AM (Chipset NVIDIA nForce 730i)
4 Gb (Soon 8) DDR2
PSU LITEON PE 6451-1 450 W

What i'm concerned about is, firstly, if the gpu is totally compatible with my actual setting (or if i may encounter some kind of troubles, like wattage or similar) and secondly if it's worth the buy and it's valuable and 'logical' in my system (of course, if you have other options instead you can talke freely!). Again, thank you for all the support you'll give me! Have a nice day :) 

EDIT: I know that the 660 is PCIE 3.0 and i have PCIE 2.0, but if i'm not wrong they are fully compatible. At the same time, what do you guys think about MSI as a gpu brand? I've heard only good things!
January 6, 2013 9:13:19 AM

I have a MSI GTX 460 Hawk sitting redundant - very nice card performance and looked like a great quality build, I've only ever heard good things but as with all brands its just down to personal taste and experience

on a separate note the reference 660 says min PSU @ 450w, your card is OC (i dont know if this means it will have larger power draw but would guess it would) so might want to think about a PSU that is not right on the edge

im just about to ebay this brand new, unused, still boxed psu but I bet you're not in the UK...

http://www.ebuyer.com/200491-coolermaster-gx-650w-psu-r...

gl
cps
January 6, 2013 7:45:49 PM

Thank you for the answer! I think you're right, i'll consider a new PSU just in case! And by the way i'm not from the UK! :kaola: 
!