ASUS Radeon HD 7770 DirectCU - Crashes at Startup

renls

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
I just bought a new video card on boxing day: The ASUS HD 7770 Direct CU 1GB GDDR5 (More specifically, this one: http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/AMD_Series/HD7770DC1GD5V2/#overview). I recently tried installing it and ran into some major problems. When booting up, I'd see the Windows 8 loading screen for about a second and then the monitor would go black. I can't even get into windows in order to install the drivers on the disk. I'm using the DVI-VGA adapter that came with it. I made sure that the 6-pin PCI-E cord was plugged in to the card (the light on the card turned green). I've tried reformatting my hard drive twice. Once with Windows 8 and one with Windows 7 and I ran into the same problem both times so the problem isn't windows 8. When viewing the BIOS screen, there were some lines that were colored different. I also made sure to uninstall all the graphics drivers that were on my system beforehand. My PSU is 525W and my motherboard is the MSI Z77A-G41. I even tried updating the Mobo BIOS and it didn't work. My CPU temp is around 40 degrees C. Any thoughts?

How do I know if it's a compatibility issue or if the card doesn't work?

renls

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Here is what my BIOS screen looks like while using the Radeon HD 7770 video card: http://imgur.com/QElzD

There's green lines. It will display the BIOS fine, but once it starts loading Windows, the system freezes.

I also tried using a different monitor using the VGA->DVI Adapter as well and the same thing happened.

I tried installing a Radeon HD 5450 and it worked fine.

FrankCabbage

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Im just putting a rig of my own right now and have EXACTLY the same problem

CPU Amd fx-6200
MOBO Asrock 970 Pro3
GPU Asus HD Radeon 7770 1gb DDR5 DirectCU (non-oc version)
PSU Logic 620W

My screen looks just the same way like the picture uve linked in your post, few vertical lines with a differect color.
Ive been able to install Windows 7 but the problem is even worse at higher resolutions. In bios there are about 4 lines, in windows at resolution 1600x1200 there are a lot more spread evenly across the whole screen.

After installing old Nvidia GT 8600GT Video Card screen looks normal in bios and in windows.

Above all that the Power Supply makes sometimes a very high pitch sound - if that can be somehow related to this problem.

Tested the card with CPU-z and it sez "not identified" doesnt show any info on the card at all (gpu, ddr, frequency), widows in system panel shows the card about right and ive been able to install latest drivers from internet (didnt do any good). But windows evaluation rated my card as "1,0" in 2D and 3D, Cpu, ram and HDD are rated 7 or above.

bigbang

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2004
your power supplies are not supplying efficient current to run the graphics card. doing this over a long period can damage the card. buy /test a new psu to test with. best way to test driver issues is to press F8 before windows starts and go to vga mode. post your findings.

FrankCabbage

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Starting Windows under VGA mode, same thing the lines are there as well. Im gonna go with a PSU and rechenge it to

OCZ Stealthxstream 2 600W ( running 2 x 120mm fans on CPU cooler at 750RPM and highest temps barely reach 30 C )
dont feel like OCing right now, id like to run it 4 some time so want to keep it cool and low stress.

We'll see if another PSU helps. Im also wondering how to check that Video Card if its not broken from the start as well. Ive found on another forum that people have the same problem with this card and some say it could be DDR fault on the video card.

Ive run the video card just for a few minutes total, used old card for system instalation and then just changed it back but its rather hardware problem then drivers.

bigbang

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2004

so there's a host of possibilities that could be wrong here. the main one is that the windows is not setting the vga as the default video output, so the screen goes off after boot. to eliminate this you need to try out the vga mode boot from the windows boot menu (F8 before startup). also possible that there's damage on the graphics card or the psu has gotten old and cannot provide enough current for the gpu to run on fullload. also possible that the cable does not have the correct pins. all can be tried and tested to solve the problem...

G

Hi, I have just bought a system and I am experiencing the exact same problem, i have sent the company that i got the system from a message explaining the issue but I am waiting to hear back. I am wondering did you ever solve this problem yourself?

Mar 24, 2013
Hi Richard,

I am continuing with the same problem on my card, the same symptoms that your card, also I have a 525w psu, maybe this is the problem? I have not been able to test with another psu, also want to try directly to a monitor with hdmi, dvi output is maybe that is giving problem, I do not know! I have currently put on the pc, windows recognize me as the 2nd card, but I can not do anything with it: ( please if you find any solution, let it know in this thread! thanks and good luck!

Richard Davies

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
Hi Rainer

My new system came pre-built without an OS and has a Corsair GS 600w PSU so i'm pretty sure that isn't the problem, i have tried VGA with the DVI adapter, DVI on its own and HDMI and still couldn't get it to work. The company i got the system from finally got back to me yesterday and said its probably a fault with the graphics card itself and have told me to send it back, I am doing that today so once i have got the new card and install it i will let you know the outcome.

Richard Davies

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
Hi Wideboydave,

I ended up sending my card back to the supplier (Overclockers UK) they were very fast at sending me a new one, i received my new card on Monday and plugged it in, worked straight away. I must have had a faulty card. I haven't had any issues with it, but haven't had the chance to properly test it out. Maybe speak to your supplier if it is a relatively new card?

wideboydave

Honorable
May 3, 2013

Just setup on my other PC (old parts pre upgrade using a molex -> 6pin adapter)

This setup is:

Geforce6100SM-M2 mobo
Athlon XP Dual core 4400
3Gb RAM (1x 1Gb, 1x 2Gb)
2x HDD (C: 400Gb Hitachi Deskstar, E: 80Gb Seagate)
DVD RW Lite On
PSU Enlite 300W (OLD!)

Exactly same issue: after installation of catalyst drivers and reboot it won't boot into Windows (this has XP SP3, new build has 7) and also is showing the vertical bands described in other post.

Think this is card related! Will be getting in touch with supplier (Amazon)

alsim

Honorable
May 15, 2013

wideboydave

Honorable
May 3, 2013

In my case, I sent the card back and have a replacement, although in the meantime I have had a few issues with the onboard graphics too... including reboot cycles, hanging, etc... it will boot in safe mode, but the second I do anything more than copy a file, it bsods or just hangs.

After some more searching I think I may have found an issue in that my motherboard's pcie x16 slot is not a version 2.0 or higher (or at least it doesn't mention being 2.0 or higher), which would mean it's architecture is different and whilst Nvidia card are less efficient, they seem to be truely backward compatible, whereas radeon cards are only backward compatible to pcie 2.0.

I suspect the card has drawn too much current from the slot and blown something on the motherboard too.

So now looking for a new mobo too!

lookanlearn

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
(EDIT; I just read the above post. So the following comment seems moot).

I am having the exact same problem.
Since 2013 I have been trying to get my HD7770 card working in my older XP rig.
I have tried all kinds of the drivers; and different versions of XP (Home/Pro) but it didn`t work.
Now it`s 2014 and I put in AMD`s later driver versions and still it doesnt work.
I have bought a second Sapphire HD7770 and tried it today in that rig, but the same fail (they are 1Gb cards [I am trying to improve it by replacing a working X1950XTX [has 512Mb]); but the HD7770`s just gives a boot image then a locked black screen.

My HD7770 Cards work in a new i5 Haswell rig; but I want to use one in my old XP rig so I can update my i5 GPU from HD7770 Xfire.

Fiddlesticks.
Grinds teeth and remembers to be angry when buying computer gear if ever again.