Sign in with
Your question

GTX 570 Insane Overheating Issues! Help!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 5, 2013 10:12:21 PM

So I purchased a computer about a year ago from CyberpowerPC, with these specs:

Cpu: Intel I7 2600k 3.40Ghz 8M LGA 1155
HardDrive: 1TB SATA III 7200 RPM 3.5" Hard Drive
Ram: 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz DDR3
Fan1: Case Fan 120MM
Fan2: Asetek 510LC 120MM WaterCooler
Fan3: Case Fan 120MM
Case: Black Thermaltake Commander Mid Tower No Power
Gpu1: GTX 550 TI 1GB PCIE
Gpu2: GTX 550 TI 1GB PCIE
MotherBoard: Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 Intel Z68 SLI/CrossFire DDR3 SATA3 USB3.0 LGA
PowerSupply: Xtremegear 800 Watt Power Supply

When I received it everything was working great until about 3 months down the road. The original 2 GTX 550ti's running in SLI that it came with were working great, I mostly play skyrim which they handled with out any problems. But then they started crashing my pc when I tried to play so I sent it back in and they said the graphics cards and power supply were fried and replaced them for me. Than about 2 months later the same thing started happening so I downloaded a few programs to see what was causing it and it turned out that my graphics cards were reaching 110c after about 2 min of playing skyrim. So I figured the cards weren't any good and went out and bought a EVGA GTX 570 Dual Shot (2 Fans) Edition but as soon as I put it in and played Skyrim the same thing happened. It took a little longer (like 5 min) for it to hit 85c, which at that point I closed the game because I didn't want to damage my card. The case has good airflow, and when I took off the side panel the card still climbed to 85c in about 5 min so the case airflow isn't the problem. I've been researching this for about 1 month now and I think it could be one of 2 things:

1. The power supply
I heard that the Xtremegear power supply was bad and that it can cause performance issues with graphics cards (not sure about temp issues though)

2. The liquid cooling system
The liquid cooling system is connected to the cpu not my gpu but I think it might be causing the issue as well. I read a lot of stuff and got confused as to whether or not they had it hooked up to their gpu but some said once they replace their liquid coolant everything was good. I myself have not changed the liquid coolant at all since I got the pc but my Cpu has never gone above 40c even when play skyrim maxed out for hours.

I've researched about as much as I can so now I'm hoping that someone here can help me diagnose my problem. Thanks for time!
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2013 5:01:41 AM

It's not the liquid cooling, that is separate and sounds like it is running fine, though replace the coolant soon (unless it's a sealed cooler like a Corsair H80, for example). The power supply might be the issue. I would order a new one like this model: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It's not a bad deal after the rebate, and I think that would be your biggest issue, plus a good PSU will increase the life of your system. I would try cleaning the card out with compressed air but don't take anything apart. If you do try a new PSU and there is no improvement, you need to contact the card manufacterer and get a replacement.
m
l
January 6, 2013 5:09:53 AM

Can you put your old cards back in and test if the issue persists?
m
l
Related resources
January 6, 2013 9:37:33 PM

@mclovits
yeah, I talked to customer service at Cyberpower and they said they'll ship me a different power supply. As soon as it arrives I'll let you guys know.

@norrisc86
I did and it still persists, I'm pretty positive it's not the cards because my GTX 570 can't play Skyrim on lowest setting in windowed mode without the temp climbing to 100c in minutes.
m
l
January 9, 2013 2:43:49 AM

Well my new power supply came in and I installed it, the temps seem to have gone down a little but they still reach 70-75c when playing games. Should I be worried about that or is this normal?
m
l
!