BF2 Connection

Last response: in Video Games
August 10, 2005 4:47:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942,alt.games.ea.battlefield,no.fritid.spill.data (More info?)

During the game, I get several messages telling me "Theres a problem with
your connection". The game freezes for 4-5 sec. According to the network
list, my ping is low (10-50).... Any suggestions?

P4 HT 3GHz
GF6800
1 gig ram

Regards Geir Riis

More about : bf2 connection

August 10, 2005 4:47:58 PM

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:47:57 +0200, "Geir" <riigei@online.no> wrote:

>During the game, I get several messages telling me "Theres a problem with
>your connection". The game freezes for 4-5 sec. According to the network
>list, my ping is low (10-50).... Any suggestions?

Telling us anything at all about your net connection?
August 10, 2005 5:17:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942,alt.games.ea.battlefield,no.fritid.spill.data (More info?)

DSL 1024/256 line. SMG wireless broadband router. Dell wireless 1450 usb
adapter. Norton internet Security

GR

"Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> skrev i melding
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:47:57 +0200, "Geir" <riigei@online.no> wrote:
>
>>During the game, I get several messages telling me "Theres a problem with
>>your connection". The game freezes for 4-5 sec. According to the network
>>list, my ping is low (10-50).... Any suggestions?
>
> Telling us anything at all about your net connection?
August 10, 2005 5:17:08 PM

"Geir" <riigei@online.no> wrote in message
> DSL 1024/256 line. SMG wireless broadband router. Dell wireless 1450 usb
> adapter. Norton internet Security

Get a shareware copy of pingplotter from www.pingplotter.com and run it one
ping every 10 seconds to the server while you are playing and when you get
problems take a look at graph.

Lorian [AGB]
www.agbgaming.com
Want to play BF2 Ranked? Search for %AGB East
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 10:23:40 PM

> DSL 1024/256 line. SMG wireless broadband router. Dell wireless 1450 usb
> adapter. Norton internet Security

Wireless is bad for games and USB wireless is adding insult to injury, I bet you
get the same symptoms on other games but BF2 seem less tolerant of network
dropouts
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 10:23:41 PM

DustJunky wrote:
> "Geir" <riigei@online.no> wrote in message
>
>>DSL 1024/256 line. SMG wireless broadband router. Dell wireless 1450 usb
>>adapter. Norton internet Security
>>

> Wireless is bad for games and USB wireless is adding insult to injury, I bet you
> get the same symptoms on other games but BF2 seem less tolerant of network
> dropouts

OTOH, I've got a wired VDSL connection that WAS working pretty well with
minimum lag-i-ness. For the last week or 2 the lag has gotten worse.
Last night for the first time it took several tries to even login. Once
there a particular low-ping server I tried it loaded the game, verified
and the kicked me out with an alleged connection problem. Did that a
couple times in a row before I moved on to another server. Nothing on my
end has changed to explain the problems.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 11:00:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942,alt.games.ea.battlefield,no.fritid.spill.data (More info?)

WhosIt <WhosIt@DoesntExist.com> wrote in news:3lve4uF14addlU1
@individual.net:

> OTOH, I've got a wired VDSL connection that WAS working pretty well with
> minimum lag-i-ness. For the last week or 2 the lag has gotten worse.
> Last night for the first time it took several tries to even login. Once
> there a particular low-ping server I tried it loaded the game, verified
> and the kicked me out with an alleged connection problem. Did that a
> couple times in a row before I moved on to another server. Nothing on my
> end has changed to explain the problems.

Try using VisualRoute from http://mycooltools.com/ or PingPlotter and look
at the packet loss numbers. My guess is that some router between you and
the game server is having problems. They don't affect web users, who just
click reload a few times, so ISP's don't hear lots of complaints about
them.
August 11, 2005 3:20:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942,alt.games.ea.battlefield,no.fritid.spill.data (More info?)

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 18:23:40 +0100, "DustJunky" <me@privacy.net>
wrote:

>Wireless is bad for games and USB wireless is adding insult to injury, I bet you
>get the same symptoms on other games but BF2 seem less tolerant of network
>dropouts

Nice bit of false FUD spreading there, USB wireless works fine for me.
August 11, 2005 3:20:39 AM

> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 18:23:40 +0100, "DustJunky" <me@privacy.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Wireless is bad for games and USB wireless is adding insult to injury, I
>>bet you
>>get the same symptoms on other games but BF2 seem less tolerant of network
>>dropouts
>
> Nice bit of false FUD spreading there, USB wireless works fine for me.

I don't have cancer. So nobody else does, either.
August 11, 2005 10:41:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942,alt.games.ea.battlefield,no.fritid.spill.data (More info?)

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 18:55:24 -0400, "Nonymous" <noham@nospam.com>
wrote:

>> Nice bit of false FUD spreading there, USB wireless works fine for me.
>
>I don't have cancer. So nobody else does, either.

I am not saying the OP's problems aren't wireless related, they could
well be, I was just countering DustJunky's clueless blanket statement.
August 11, 2005 1:36:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942,alt.games.ea.battlefield,no.fritid.spill.data (More info?)

Well, I'll tell you for a fact that wireless in my case caused me a
whole world of hurt when it came to playing BF2.

I recently bought a beefy new machine and it also came with a Dell 1450
USB wireless adapter. However, I think this is irrelevant as on my old
Dell system I was using a Belkin 54G adapter and had the same problem
(i.e. "problem with your network connection...").

My localised problem seemed to be that as I live in close proximity to
selfish people who are also using wirless routers :-) (which seems to
have transpired fairly recently, as I've been wirless for 18 months) it
seems that with 5+ networks in close proximity, all using 2.4Ghz (or at
least sharing channels - although not sure this made a difference to
overall problem) I started to get "hits" at fairly frequent and
periodic points throughout my gameplay. Upon closer inspection I could
see my ping going up periodically from (let's say) 16 to 600(ish) in a
moment and then reverting back to 16. I can hazard a guess and place
the blame at my ISP's door but this would be indicative of a much
bigger and serious problem with my connection.

What leads me to believe that it's purely down to noise levels and
channel overlap on the wireless channels is that after many hours of
tweaking my router (i.e. channel allocation etc) I could not get a
resolution. Ultimately, I simply routed my router directly via the
100mbps lan port to my PC's lan port and hey-presto, never had a single
problem since. I have been running connection-error-free for about 2
weeks now so I think it had something to do with running over a
wireless connection.

As I said, may not be the panacea for all but I'm sure other people may
be in a similar situation?

Cheers.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 9:41:11 PM

> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 18:55:24 -0400, "Nonymous" <noham@nospam.com>
> wrote:
>
>>> Nice bit of false FUD spreading there, USB wireless works fine for me.
>>
>>I don't have cancer. So nobody else does, either.
>
> I am not saying the OP's problems aren't wireless related, they could
> well be, I was just countering DustJunky's clueless blanket statement.

To call my statement clueless with no idea of who I am or what I know, has to be
the dumbest thing I have heard in a while.

It is well known and well documented that WiFi is subject to network dropouts
and also well known that USB suffers from transmission errors when the CPU is
under heavy load.

Therefore running a game such as BF2 which is as network intensive as it is CPU
crippling, with a WiFi USB adapter is, as I stated, adding insult to injury.

The fact that on you particular setup you have not encountered or simply not
noticed these shortcomings of the technology puts you squarely in the minority.
August 12, 2005 2:59:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942,alt.games.ea.battlefield,no.fritid.spill.data (More info?)

> I am not saying the OP's problems aren't wireless related, they could
> well be, I was just countering DustJunky's clueless blanket statement.

It made sense to me. Bluetooth is the only wireless malarkey that I've ever
had running smoothly; all the rest seems to be pathetically short range and
prone to errors. I can't *believe* the range of my wireless mouse:
Practically about one foot, but best to stay within six inches. It has to be
that way, otherwise all kinds of regulations would be broken.

Neil
August 12, 2005 3:15:14 PM

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:59:41 +0100, "Neil" <noway@hosay.com> wrote:

>It made sense to me. Bluetooth is the only wireless malarkey that I've ever
>had running smoothly; all the rest seems to be pathetically short range and
>prone to errors. I can't *believe* the range of my wireless mouse:
>Practically about one foot, but best to stay within six inches. It has to be
>that way, otherwise all kinds of regulations would be broken.

I have had bad experiences with BT as well, 802.11g has been great for
me though.
August 12, 2005 3:19:43 PM

> 802.11g has been great for me though.

I suppose it depends what other gubbins you've got in your house - or
nearby, interfering with the signal(s). Maybe that's why we're all reporting
different experiences.

Neil
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 8:16:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942,alt.games.ea.battlefield,no.fritid.spill.data (More info?)

No neighbours piggybacking on my wireless connection as I used a
128-bit WEP key from day 1 and hid the SSID immediately.

I guess it's just down to close proximity networks all(or some)
transmitting on the same channel?

Anyway, hard-wired is best I reckon...
August 12, 2005 9:54:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942,alt.games.ea.battlefield,no.fritid.spill.data (More info?)

You probably had a neighbor or two piggybacking on your internet connection
to boot. Change the default settings on your router and enable encryption
to keep that from happening. Though like you found just plugging it
straight in works well too(mine is hard wired, the wifes connection is
wireless and encrypted).
"KnowItAll" <JeanMarc.Watson@BTopenworld.com> wrote in message
> Well, I'll tell you for a fact that wireless in my case caused me a
> whole world of hurt when it came to playing BF2.
>
> I recently bought a beefy new machine and it also came with a Dell 1450
> USB wireless adapter. However, I think this is irrelevant as on my old
> Dell system I was using a Belkin 54G adapter and had the same problem
> (i.e. "problem with your network connection...").
>
> My localised problem seemed to be that as I live in close proximity to
> selfish people who are also using wirless routers :-) (which seems to
> have transpired fairly recently, as I've been wirless for 18 months) it
> seems that with 5+ networks in close proximity, all using 2.4Ghz (or at
> least sharing channels - although not sure this made a difference to
> overall problem) I started to get "hits" at fairly frequent and
> periodic points throughout my gameplay. Upon closer inspection I could
> see my ping going up periodically from (let's say) 16 to 600(ish) in a
> moment and then reverting back to 16. I can hazard a guess and place
> the blame at my ISP's door but this would be indicative of a much
> bigger and serious problem with my connection.
>
> What leads me to believe that it's purely down to noise levels and
> channel overlap on the wireless channels is that after many hours of
> tweaking my router (i.e. channel allocation etc) I could not get a
> resolution. Ultimately, I simply routed my router directly via the
> 100mbps lan port to my PC's lan port and hey-presto, never had a single
> problem since. I have been running connection-error-free for about 2
> weeks now so I think it had something to do with running over a
> wireless connection.
>
> As I said, may not be the panacea for all but I'm sure other people may
> be in a similar situation?
>
> Cheers.

August 13, 2005 9:09:37 AM

Neil wrote:
> "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message
>
>>802.11g has been great for me though.
>

> I suppose it depends what other gubbins you've got in your house - or
> nearby, interfering with the signal(s). Maybe that's why we're all reporting
> different experiences.
>
> Neil

Quit trying to be reasonable. Your setting a bad example for the rest of
us. ;-)
August 16, 2005 4:20:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942,alt.games.ea.battlefield,no.fritid.spill.data (More info?)

On 12 Aug 2005 16:16:42 -0700, "KnowItAll"
<JeanMarc.Watson@BTopenworld.com> wrote:

>No neighbours piggybacking on my wireless connection as I used a
>128-bit WEP key from day 1 and hid the SSID immediately.
>
>I guess it's just down to close proximity networks all(or some)
>transmitting on the same channel?
>
>Anyway, hard-wired is best I reckon...

The connection problems "lost connection" which are either temporary
few seconds or drops yo back to server-selection screen is the
bug/problems in SERVER CODE.

I have tested this and just yesterday it happened to me 5 times in few
hours. I was playing with my friend who lives in OTHER city. We joined
same server and used SKYPE to talk to eachother.

He had stereos playing in background so I could slightly hear them all
the time. There were NO CONNECTION brakes in skype during all evening.

I dropped 3/5 times out of game and rest 2 just crashed plane because
of 5 secs connection-brake. For my friend it was 4/5. After every
break we changed server so it was not some spesific poor servers
reason.

And everytime we had connetion problems it happened in VERY SAME
second for both of us.

Do the math....
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 5:22:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942,alt.games.ea.battlefield,no.fritid.spill.data (More info?)

"> The connection problems "lost connection" which are either temporary
> few seconds or drops yo back to server-selection screen is the
> bug/problems in SERVER CODE.
>
> I have tested this and just yesterday it happened to me 5 times in few
> hours. I was playing with my friend who lives in OTHER city. We joined
> same server and used SKYPE to talk to eachother.
>
> He had stereos playing in background so I could slightly hear them all
> the time. There were NO CONNECTION brakes in skype during all evening.
>
> I dropped 3/5 times out of game and rest 2 just crashed plane because
> of 5 secs connection-brake. For my friend it was 4/5. After every
> break we changed server so it was not some spesific poor servers
> reason.
>
> And everytime we had connetion problems it happened in VERY SAME
> second for both of us.
>
> Do the math....

So what you are saying is that we have to wait on a bug fix/patch for GF2 to
be released?

Cheers

Geir Riis
!