Nokia 6230 vs. Motorola V3 Razr

Soliciting opinions on a Nokia 6230 vs. Motorola V3 Razr

1st let me say that I own the V3 and am very happy with it. I have only
recently considered the 6230 mainly because I understand you can put a chip
in it to expand it's memory capacity. Am I correct in assuming this would
let me store many more contacts and appointments in the calendar? I would
not need the memory for many pictures although MP3's would be nice. Does
Nokia have a program similar to Motorola's Mobile Phone Tools? Of course
there is THE RECEPTION QUESTION.. Does either have superior cell reception?
Your opinions please.

The pluses & minuses as I see them:

V3 Razr
By far the better display and form factor.
Mobile Phone Tools Software

6230
Expandable memory (if it will do what I want - contacts & appointment
mostly). I would like it to do enough of each
that I could shelve my Palm Pilot a good deal of the time.
Much better searches in the contact list
More information re contacts (addresses, notes, etc.)

Thanks in advance for your input.

Fred
12 answers Last reply
More about nokia 6230 motorola razr

    "Fred" <agunat@yahoo.com> wrote in news:VFrqe.12855$Hj.781@lakeread02:
    > 1st let me say that I own the V3 and am very happy with it. I have only
    > recently considered the 6230 mainly because I understand you can put a
    > chip in it to expand it's memory capacity. Am I correct in assuming this
    > would let me store many more contacts and appointments in the calendar?

    How much memory do your contacts really need? I've got 1MB of MP3s in my 6230.
    After-market stereo headphones sound great.

    Sounds like a great capacity. I could use 300 contacts (with a lot of
    information for each, 100 appointments, and if possible about 25 MP3's. How
    do you like your phone? Will Nokia's software let you create ringtones from
    MP3's on your computer? Will it hotsync with Outlook 2003?

    Fred

    Fred <agunat@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > Sounds like a great capacity. I could use 300 contacts (with a lot of
    > information for each, 100 appointments, and if possible about 25 MP3's. How
    > do you like your phone? Will Nokia's software let you create ringtones from
    > MP3's on your computer?

    I transferred an MP3 from my computer to my 6230i via Bluetooth and was
    immediately able to designate it as a ringtone - didn't have to use any
    software in particular.

    miguel

    Bill Bennett wrote:
    > How much memory do your contacts really need? I've got 1MB of MP3s in my 6230.

    I am assuming you mean 1Gb ? I bought a 1Gb MMC on Ebay (for under 50 UK
    pounds) and now carry around 200+ MP3s with me. A great solution.

    I agree that contacts themselves don't use a huge amount of memory -
    since the phone itself has 8Mb of memory this should be more than enough
    for several hundred contacts .. if not thousands. Just make sure you
    keep your photos, MP3s and other memory hungry files on a separate
    memory card.

    Bill Bennett also wrote:
    > After-market stereo headphones sound great.

    My bundled handsfree kit headphones have just failed - the classic wire
    bent too many times and breaking I think.

    I'd like to know your recommendations for aftermarket headphones. Do
    they function as handsfree kits too? How do they connect given that
    Nokia phones don't have a standard headphone jack? Also, one problem I
    have with the 6230 as an MP3 player is that sometimes it is too quiet. I
    have normalised my MP3s to max volume and created an equalisation
    setting with all the sliders set to max - do any of the aftermarket
    headphones inlcude a small amount of amplification?

    --
    Stuart
    [ciqret]

    [aka cicero]

    Chris Blunt <chris_blunt@despammed.com> wrote:
    > "Fred" <agunat@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >> Can I edit the MP3's if I only want to use a line or two for my ringtone
    >> rather than the whole song?
    >
    > I've used Adobe Audition to do this. It works well, but is probably
    > overkill if you just want to crop an MP3 file. I think there are other
    > applications around that do it as well.

    You can do it in two seconds with a pocket calculator and any command-line
    tool (dd, etc.) that will let you copy a specified number of bytes from
    within a file.

    miguel

    Fred. Why not go the whole hog, and get the 6230i

    More internal memory (although this doesn't really matter as one can still
    use an MMC card).
    1.3 M/Pixel camera
    6230i can be used as a "pen drive" for carrying files about, WITHOUT having
    to go through the pc suite.
    There is a Nokia pc suite for image/sound conversion, as well as file
    explorer.

    Good luck with your decision

    "Fred" <agunat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Soliciting opinions on a Nokia 6230 vs. Motorola V3 Razr
    >
    > 1st let me say that I own the V3 and am very happy with it. I have only
    > recently considered the 6230 mainly because I understand you can put a
    chip
    > in it to expand it's memory capacity. Am I correct in assuming this would
    > let me store many more contacts and appointments in the calendar? I would
    > not need the memory for many pictures although MP3's would be nice. Does
    > Nokia have a program similar to Motorola's Mobile Phone Tools? Of course
    > there is THE RECEPTION QUESTION.. Does either have superior cell
    reception?
    > Your opinions please.
    >
    > The pluses & minuses as I see them:
    >
    > V3 Razr
    > By far the better display and form factor.
    > Mobile Phone Tools Software
    >
    > 6230
    > Expandable memory (if it will do what I want - contacts & appointment
    > mostly). I would like it to do enough of each
    > that I could shelve my Palm Pilot a good deal of the time.
    > Much better searches in the contact list
    > More information re contacts (addresses, notes, etc.)
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your input.
    >
    > Fred

    I will be using the phone with Cingular and they don't carry the 6230i.
    Judging from the specs I imagine it sells for considerably more. The better
    camera & push to talk are of no importance to me. The extra memory would be
    very nice though (but that can be added I understand), I may be locked into
    getting the phone from Cingular or Best Buy though (Best Buy has a VERY
    limited Cingular selection). I bought the Razr from Best Buy with a new
    activation, I could return it to them & still get the discounted price on
    the Nokia from Cingular. 2 other questions please. I assume Nokia's
    software with sync with Outlook 2003 (Contacts and appointments), also
    (obviously this is a minor question) but does the 6230 have changeable
    faceplates? The way Nokia squishes the numbers together bothers me.
    Thanks.

    Fred

    "Kevin I Chapple" <kevinx@NOTTHISBITearthling.net> wrote in message
    > Fred. Why not go the whole hog, and get the 6230i
    >
    > More internal memory (although this doesn't really matter as one can still
    > use an MMC card).
    > 1.3 M/Pixel camera
    > 6230i can be used as a "pen drive" for carrying files about, WITHOUT
    having
    > to go through the pc suite.
    > There is a Nokia pc suite for image/sound conversion, as well as file
    > explorer.
    >
    > Good luck with your decision
    >

    > "Fred" <agunat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Soliciting opinions on a Nokia 6230 vs. Motorola V3 Razr
    > >
    > > 1st let me say that I own the V3 and am very happy with it. I have only
    > > recently considered the 6230 mainly because I understand you can put a
    > chip
    > > in it to expand it's memory capacity. Am I correct in assuming this
    would
    > > let me store many more contacts and appointments in the calendar? I
    would
    > > not need the memory for many pictures although MP3's would be nice.
    Does
    > > Nokia have a program similar to Motorola's Mobile Phone Tools? Of
    course
    > > there is THE RECEPTION QUESTION.. Does either have superior cell
    > reception?
    > > Your opinions please.
    > >
    > > The pluses & minuses as I see them:
    > >
    > > V3 Razr
    > > By far the better display and form factor.
    > > Mobile Phone Tools Software
    > >
    > > 6230
    > > Expandable memory (if it will do what I want - contacts & appointment
    > > mostly). I would like it to do enough of each
    > > that I could shelve my Palm Pilot a good deal of the time.
    > > Much better searches in the contact list
    > > More information re contacts (addresses, notes, etc.)
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for your input.
    > >
    > > Fred

    Yes on both counts, Fred.
    Syncs okay with Outlook, Calendar, Contacts, To Do's etc., and Yes the
    faceplates ARE interchangeable.

    Cheers

    ciqret <ciqret@anon.net> wrote in
    > I'd like to know your recommendations for aftermarket headphones. Do
    > they function as handsfree kits too?

    There are a couple of people on EBay selling adapters that plug into Nokia
    phones and allow you to use standard mini-jack headphones. They sky is the
    limit regarding aftermarket headphone quality. Some of the adapters have
    microphones so you can use them as handsfree headsets as well.

    Thanks. I'll have to digest this. The Nokia seems very superior when it
    comes to all the higher end features. On the other hand the Razr has by far
    the better screen and (for me any way), size.

    DOES ANY ONE HAVE ANY IDEA... if one gets better reception than the other?

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 15:57:13 +0000, Ken <uce@ftc.gov> wrote:

    >ciqret <ciqret@anon.net> wrote in
    >> I'd like to know your recommendations for aftermarket headphones. Do
    >> they function as handsfree kits too?
    >
    >There are a couple of people on EBay selling adapters that plug into Nokia
    >phones and allow you to use standard mini-jack headphones. They sky is the
    >limit regarding aftermarket headphone quality. Some of the adapters have
    >microphones so you can use them as handsfree headsets as well.

    I bought one of these from eBay to use with a Nokia 6230 and a pair of
    Bose QuietComfort headphones. I'm very pleased with the result.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42409&item=6382867311

    Chris

    On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 06:59:48 -0400, "Fred" <agunat@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Can I edit the MP3's if I only want to use a line or two for my ringtone
    >rather than the whole song?
    >
    >Fred

    I use Mp3DirectCut to edit down my mp3 files. its freeware, small and
    simple to use.

    Alan
    Take DogForAWalk before replying by e-mail

Nokia Motorola Memory Product