Nokia 6230 vs. Motorola V3 Razr

Last response: in Brands
Share
June 11, 2005 2:05:20 AM

Soliciting opinions on a Nokia 6230 vs. Motorola V3 Razr

1st let me say that I own the V3 and am very happy with it. I have only
recently considered the 6230 mainly because I understand you can put a chip
in it to expand it's memory capacity. Am I correct in assuming this would
let me store many more contacts and appointments in the calendar? I would
not need the memory for many pictures although MP3's would be nice. Does
Nokia have a program similar to Motorola's Mobile Phone Tools? Of course
there is THE RECEPTION QUESTION.. Does either have superior cell reception?
Your opinions please.

The pluses & minuses as I see them:

V3 Razr
By far the better display and form factor.
Mobile Phone Tools Software

6230
Expandable memory (if it will do what I want - contacts & appointment
mostly). I would like it to do enough of each
that I could shelve my Palm Pilot a good deal of the time.
Much better searches in the contact list
More information re contacts (addresses, notes, etc.)

Thanks in advance for your input.

Fred
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 11, 2005 6:49:40 AM

"Fred" <agunat@yahoo.com> wrote in news:VFrqe.12855$Hj.781@lakeread02:
> 1st let me say that I own the V3 and am very happy with it. I have only
> recently considered the 6230 mainly because I understand you can put a
> chip in it to expand it's memory capacity. Am I correct in assuming this
> would let me store many more contacts and appointments in the calendar?

How much memory do your contacts really need? I've got 1MB of MP3s in my 6230.
After-market stereo headphones sound great.
June 11, 2005 6:49:41 AM

Sounds like a great capacity. I could use 300 contacts (with a lot of
information for each, 100 appointments, and if possible about 25 MP3's. How
do you like your phone? Will Nokia's software let you create ringtones from
MP3's on your computer? Will it hotsync with Outlook 2003?

Fred

"Bill Bennett" <uce@ftc.gov> wrote in message
> "Fred" <agunat@yahoo.com> wrote in news:VFrqe.12855$Hj.781@lakeread02:
> > 1st let me say that I own the V3 and am very happy with it. I have only
> > recently considered the 6230 mainly because I understand you can put a
> > chip in it to expand it's memory capacity. Am I correct in assuming
this
> > would let me store many more contacts and appointments in the calendar?
>
> How much memory do your contacts really need? I've got 1MB of MP3s in my
6230.
> After-market stereo headphones sound great.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 11, 2005 6:49:42 AM

Fred <agunat@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sounds like a great capacity. I could use 300 contacts (with a lot of
> information for each, 100 appointments, and if possible about 25 MP3's. How
> do you like your phone? Will Nokia's software let you create ringtones from
> MP3's on your computer?

I transferred an MP3 from my computer to my 6230i via Bluetooth and was
immediately able to designate it as a ringtone - didn't have to use any
software in particular.

miguel
a b } Memory
June 11, 2005 12:12:29 PM

Bill Bennett wrote:
> How much memory do your contacts really need? I've got 1MB of MP3s in my 6230.

I am assuming you mean 1Gb ? I bought a 1Gb MMC on Ebay (for under 50 UK
pounds) and now carry around 200+ MP3s with me. A great solution.

I agree that contacts themselves don't use a huge amount of memory -
since the phone itself has 8Mb of memory this should be more than enough
for several hundred contacts .. if not thousands. Just make sure you
keep your photos, MP3s and other memory hungry files on a separate
memory card.

Bill Bennett also wrote:
> After-market stereo headphones sound great.

My bundled handsfree kit headphones have just failed - the classic wire
bent too many times and breaking I think.

I'd like to know your recommendations for aftermarket headphones. Do
they function as handsfree kits too? How do they connect given that
Nokia phones don't have a standard headphone jack? Also, one problem I
have with the 6230 as an MP3 player is that sometimes it is too quiet. I
have normalised my MP3s to max volume and created an equalisation
setting with all the sliders set to max - do any of the aftermarket
headphones inlcude a small amount of amplification?

--
Stuart
[ciqret]

[aka cicero]
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 11, 2005 2:27:21 PM

Chris Blunt <chris_blunt@despammed.com> wrote:
> "Fred" <agunat@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Can I edit the MP3's if I only want to use a line or two for my ringtone
>> rather than the whole song?
>
> I've used Adobe Audition to do this. It works well, but is probably
> overkill if you just want to crop an MP3 file. I think there are other
> applications around that do it as well.

You can do it in two seconds with a pocket calculator and any command-line
tool (dd, etc.) that will let you copy a specified number of bytes from
within a file.

miguel
a b } Memory
June 11, 2005 10:52:36 PM

Fred. Why not go the whole hog, and get the 6230i

More internal memory (although this doesn't really matter as one can still
use an MMC card).
1.3 M/Pixel camera
6230i can be used as a "pen drive" for carrying files about, WITHOUT having
to go through the pc suite.
There is a Nokia pc suite for image/sound conversion, as well as file
explorer.

Good luck with your decision

"Fred" <agunat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Soliciting opinions on a Nokia 6230 vs. Motorola V3 Razr
>
> 1st let me say that I own the V3 and am very happy with it. I have only
> recently considered the 6230 mainly because I understand you can put a
chip
> in it to expand it's memory capacity. Am I correct in assuming this would
> let me store many more contacts and appointments in the calendar? I would
> not need the memory for many pictures although MP3's would be nice. Does
> Nokia have a program similar to Motorola's Mobile Phone Tools? Of course
> there is THE RECEPTION QUESTION.. Does either have superior cell
reception?
> Your opinions please.
>
> The pluses & minuses as I see them:
>
> V3 Razr
> By far the better display and form factor.
> Mobile Phone Tools Software
>
> 6230
> Expandable memory (if it will do what I want - contacts & appointment
> mostly). I would like it to do enough of each
> that I could shelve my Palm Pilot a good deal of the time.
> Much better searches in the contact list
> More information re contacts (addresses, notes, etc.)
>
> Thanks in advance for your input.
>
> Fred

June 12, 2005 3:03:51 AM

I will be using the phone with Cingular and they don't carry the 6230i.
Judging from the specs I imagine it sells for considerably more. The better
camera & push to talk are of no importance to me. The extra memory would be
very nice though (but that can be added I understand), I may be locked into
getting the phone from Cingular or Best Buy though (Best Buy has a VERY
limited Cingular selection). I bought the Razr from Best Buy with a new
activation, I could return it to them & still get the discounted price on
the Nokia from Cingular. 2 other questions please. I assume Nokia's
software with sync with Outlook 2003 (Contacts and appointments), also
(obviously this is a minor question) but does the 6230 have changeable
faceplates? The way Nokia squishes the numbers together bothers me.
Thanks.

Fred

"Kevin I Chapple" <kevinx@NOTTHISBITearthling.net> wrote in message
news:D 8f8d4$3bv$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Fred. Why not go the whole hog, and get the 6230i
>
> More internal memory (although this doesn't really matter as one can still
> use an MMC card).
> 1.3 M/Pixel camera
> 6230i can be used as a "pen drive" for carrying files about, WITHOUT
having
> to go through the pc suite.
> There is a Nokia pc suite for image/sound conversion, as well as file
> explorer.
>
> Good luck with your decision
>

> "Fred" <agunat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Soliciting opinions on a Nokia 6230 vs. Motorola V3 Razr
> >
> > 1st let me say that I own the V3 and am very happy with it. I have only
> > recently considered the 6230 mainly because I understand you can put a
> chip
> > in it to expand it's memory capacity. Am I correct in assuming this
would
> > let me store many more contacts and appointments in the calendar? I
would
> > not need the memory for many pictures although MP3's would be nice.
Does
> > Nokia have a program similar to Motorola's Mobile Phone Tools? Of
course
> > there is THE RECEPTION QUESTION.. Does either have superior cell
> reception?
> > Your opinions please.
> >
> > The pluses & minuses as I see them:
> >
> > V3 Razr
> > By far the better display and form factor.
> > Mobile Phone Tools Software
> >
> > 6230
> > Expandable memory (if it will do what I want - contacts & appointment
> > mostly). I would like it to do enough of each
> > that I could shelve my Palm Pilot a good deal of the time.
> > Much better searches in the contact list
> > More information re contacts (addresses, notes, etc.)
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your input.
> >
> > Fred

Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 12, 2005 1:31:29 PM

Yes on both counts, Fred.
Syncs okay with Outlook, Calendar, Contacts, To Do's etc., and Yes the
faceplates ARE interchangeable.

Cheers

> [...]
> would
> > > not need the memory for many pictures although MP3's would be nice.
> Does
> > > Nokia have a program similar to Motorola's Mobile Phone Tools? Of
> course
> > > there is THE RECEPTION QUESTION.. Does either have superior cell
> > reception?
> > > Your opinions please.
> > >
> > > The pluses & minuses as I see them:
> > >
> > > V3 Razr
> > > By far the better display and form factor.
> > > Mobile Phone Tools Software
> > >
> > > 6230
> > > Expandable memory (if it will do what I want - contacts & appointment
> > > mostly). I would like it to do enough of each
> > > that I could shelve my Palm Pilot a good deal of the time.
> > > Much better searches in the contact list
> > > More information re contacts (addresses, notes, etc.)

June 12, 2005 7:57:13 PM

ciqret <ciqret@anon.net> wrote in
> I'd like to know your recommendations for aftermarket headphones. Do
> they function as handsfree kits too?

There are a couple of people on EBay selling adapters that plug into Nokia
phones and allow you to use standard mini-jack headphones. They sky is the
limit regarding aftermarket headphone quality. Some of the adapters have
microphones so you can use them as handsfree headsets as well.
June 12, 2005 11:13:41 PM

Thanks. I'll have to digest this. The Nokia seems very superior when it
comes to all the higher end features. On the other hand the Razr has by far
the better screen and (for me any way), size.

DOES ANY ONE HAVE ANY IDEA... if one gets better reception than the other?

news:D 8grt0$l7h$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Yes on both counts, Fred.
> Syncs okay with Outlook, Calendar, Contacts, To Do's etc., and Yes the
> faceplates ARE interchangeable.
>
> Cheers
>

> "Fred" <agunat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I will be using the phone with Cingular and they don't carry the 6230i.
> > Judging from the specs I imagine it sells for considerably more. The
> better
> > camera & push to talk are of no importance to me. The extra memory
would
> be
> > very nice though (but that can be added I understand), I may be locked
> into
> > getting the phone from Cingular or Best Buy though (Best Buy has a VERY
> > limited Cingular selection). I bought the Razr from Best Buy with a new
> > activation, I could return it to them & still get the discounted price
on
> > the Nokia from Cingular. 2 other questions please. I assume Nokia's
> > software with sync with Outlook 2003 (Contacts and appointments), also
> > (obviously this is a minor question) but does the 6230 have changeable
> > faceplates? The way Nokia squishes the numbers together bothers me.
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Fred
> >
> > "Kevin I Chapple" <kevinx@NOTTHISBITearthling.net> wrote in message
> > news:D 8f8d4$3bv$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
> > > Fred. Why not go the whole hog, and get the 6230i
> > >
> > > More internal memory (although this doesn't really matter as one can
> still
> > > use an MMC card).
> > > 1.3 M/Pixel camera
> > > 6230i can be used as a "pen drive" for carrying files about, WITHOUT
> > having
> > > to go through the pc suite.
> > > There is a Nokia pc suite for image/sound conversion, as well as file
> > > explorer.
> > >
> > > Good luck with your decision
> > >

> > > "Fred" <agunat@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> only
> > > chip
> > would
> > would
> > Does
> > course
> > > reception?

Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 13, 2005 5:38:49 AM

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 15:57:13 +0000, Ken <uce@ftc.gov> wrote:

>ciqret <ciqret@anon.net> wrote in
>> I'd like to know your recommendations for aftermarket headphones. Do
>> they function as handsfree kits too?
>
>There are a couple of people on EBay selling adapters that plug into Nokia
>phones and allow you to use standard mini-jack headphones. They sky is the
>limit regarding aftermarket headphone quality. Some of the adapters have
>microphones so you can use them as handsfree headsets as well.

I bought one of these from eBay to use with a Nokia 6230 and a pair of
Bose QuietComfort headphones. I'm very pleased with the result.

Chris
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 15, 2005 2:06:18 PM

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 06:59:48 -0400, "Fred" <agunat@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Can I edit the MP3's if I only want to use a line or two for my ringtone
>rather than the whole song?
>
>Fred

I use Mp3DirectCut to edit down my mp3 files. its freeware, small and
simple to use.

Alan
Take DogForAWalk before replying by e-mail
!