I haven't built a computer in a while. My new build is:

ASUS P8Z77 V deluxe
Corsair DDR3 1600 32 GB
Intel SSD 480 x 2
WD HD 3 TB x 2
Seasonics PSU SS-850KM
EVGA GTX680
Cooler Master Tower HAF 932

Put it together, checked the connections and turned it. No fans just the reset and power button (red) on the MB.

Rechecked and reinserted everything. Same thing.

Ideas?

Thanks

More about : build issues

February 25, 2013 6:40:19 PM

Thank you very much. I appreciate your advice. Pulled the MB and did the breadboard - "everything" fine. Reinstalled the MB (this time remembering to put the spacers in). It works now. Everything except the wifi. Windows 8 doesn't recognize the drivers for the ASUS wifi "module". Got the new drivers off the ASUS site using a different computer and installed them. Nothing. The lights are on the module indicating function and Windows says the hardware is OK on the devices menu, but it doesn't detect the internet.

Should I abandon Windows 8 Pro and go for Windows 7 Pro? Is there another

Why would MSFT release a product that can't go online?

m
l
Related resources
February 25, 2013 7:09:25 PM

Is this a wireless pci card or what? What model, specs, etc. Wasn't the wifi card bought with an install disk? Have you tried uninstalling the driver restarting and letting windows find it as a new hardware then installing the updated driver? Wasn't it sent with software or is windows to handle the wireless?

IMO Windows 8 sucks, Its just like Vista in my opinion just another program Microsoft was trying to push out of the nest too early, Vista was just a POS stepping stone on the way up to 7 just another way to suck money out of the people that want to stay on the cutting edge.
m
l
February 25, 2013 7:24:54 PM

hillmanant said:
Is this a wireless pci card or what? What model, specs, etc. Wasn't the wifi card bought with an install disk? Have you tried uninstalling the driver restarting and letting windows find it as a new hardware then installing the updated driver? Wasn't it sent with software or is windows to handle the wireless?

IMO Windows 8 sucks, Its just like Vista in my opinion just another program Microsoft was trying to push out of the nest too early, Vista was just a POS stepping stone on the way up to 7 just another way to suck money out of the people that want to stay on the cutting edge.

The "card" comes with the MB (ASUS Wi-Fi GO! http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/P8Z77V_DELUXE/: DLNA Media Hub, Smart Motion Control, Remote Desktop, Remote Keyboard & Mouse, File Transfer, Capture & Send *8
- Wi-Fi GO! Remote for portable Smartphone/Tablet, supporting iOS & Android systems
- Wi-Fi Engine for network sharing and connection: Client Mode, AP Mode

It's one of the reasons I bought this particular board. It is (evidently) an Atheros device. There are drivers on a CD that come with the MB. I installed these (after a lot of frustration and getting into compatibility mode).

I haven't tried uninstalling yet - but can try that if you think it worthwhile. I did try installing new drivers from the ASUS site. Nothing about it on MSFT site.

So far I can only say I HATE Windows 8 for many reasons. I may end up downgrading.

Thanks in advance.
m
l
February 25, 2013 7:42:59 PM

ulcerdoc said:
So far I can only say I HATE Windows 8 for many reasons. I may end up downgrading.

I think you mean upgrading. :lol: 

I think that is what i would do is download the software from their site, uninstall, restart, and install the downloaded drivers off the web site. Don't use the disk. Good luck
m
l
February 25, 2013 9:01:22 PM

I just ordered a copy of Windows 7. If I can't even get on line I was beginning to imagine what driver and compatibility delights awaited me when I try to load my software, e.g., Lightroom, Photoshop etc. and decided to cut my losses.

I vacillated over whether to go for 7 or 8. I decided on 8 (stupidly) thinking that after Vista MSFT would have learned their lesson. I hope this will serve as a cautionary tale for the unwary. Just for fun I will call MSFT and ask for my money back on Windows 8.
m
l
February 25, 2013 9:25:19 PM

Everything sells on eBay. I'm glad to see you got your system going though.
m
l
February 25, 2013 9:26:53 PM

I'll give you $20 for your win8. Its considerably faster than 7 and all the driver kinks have been pretty much worked out.
m
l
March 5, 2013 2:58:42 AM

Wow! But no thanks!
m
l
March 5, 2013 3:01:45 AM

hillmanant said:
Everything sells on eBay. I'm glad to see you got your system going though.

I had to interrupt my build for a trip. Back now. Got Win 8 and internet going. Everything good except it hangs periodically on boot up at the splash screen. BIOS issue? Manual no help. Should I reset CMOS? Ideas?
m
l
March 5, 2013 4:27:28 AM

ulcerdoc said:
I had to interrupt my build for a trip. Back now. Got Win 8 and internet going. Everything good except it hangs periodically on boot up at the splash screen. BIOS issue? Manual no help. Should I reset CMOS? Ideas?

Try a bios update with the right operating system.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/P8Z77V_DELUXE/#support_...
m
l
March 6, 2013 2:28:57 AM

hillmanant said:
Try a bios update with the right operating system.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/P8Z77V_DELUXE/#support_...

OK - I downloaded the latest BIOS version from the site, copied to a flash drive, plugged it in the appropriate USB slot and pushed the CMOS button for 3 seconds etc. Now it won't boot WIN 8. Reset BIOS defaults using MEM OK switch on MB. Got into BIOS set up. All apparently OK. It gets to WIN 8 opening screen and says repairing system, or I just see the little circle going round forever. Tried to reinstall WIN 8 from DVD. It gets past opening screen the hangs on starting setup. The computer is giving me a lot of 2, 3 and 4 short MB beeps.

Frustrating!

m
l
March 6, 2013 4:11:59 AM

ulcerdoc said:
OK - I downloaded the latest BIOS version from the site, copied to a flash drive, plugged it in the appropriate USB slot and pushed the CMOS button for 3 seconds etc. Now it won't boot WIN 8. Reset BIOS defaults using MEM OK switch on MB. Got into BIOS set up. All apparently OK. It gets to WIN 8 opening screen and says repairing system, or I just see the little circle going round forever. Tried to reinstall WIN 8 from DVD. It gets past opening screen the hangs on starting setup. The computer is giving me a lot of 2, 3 and 4 short MB beeps.

Frustrating!

Since you had to hit the memok button I would assume something is wrong with a memory stick. Just because the lock tabs on the memory snapped up doesn't mean it's seated correctly are all the sticks seated the same and the pins deep enough into the board? Did you hard set all the speed and timings on for your memory in the bios, don't leave them on auto.

These posts may help.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000996.htm

http://forums.devshed.com/motherboards-106/boot-problem...
m
l
March 7, 2013 12:29:53 AM

hillmanant said:
Since you had to hit the memok button I would assume something is wrong with a memory stick. Just because the lock tabs on the memory snapped up doesn't mean it's seated correctly are all the sticks seated the same and the pins deep enough into the board? Did you hard set all the speed and timings on for your memory in the bios, don't leave them on auto.

These posts may help.

I don't think there is a memory issue. I didn't have to hit mem OK. The memok button let's you reboot into the BIOS set up screen - that's why I used it. Nice feature. Mem cards all seated. There is a men. eror and failure to boot if mem cards aren't seated. This is something else.

I can get past POST to start of Win 8in DVD BUT then it takes literally hours for it to progress into install screen. I have unplugged everything including DROBO and eSATA drives, undid my RAID. BIOS LED says A0 - an IDE code. I don't have any IDE drives. Internal drives all register on BIOS.

I am mystified. Is this a hardware or software issue? Is it the MB?
m
l
March 7, 2013 1:35:03 AM

hillmanant said:

These posts may help.

I don't think there is a memory issue. I didn't have to hit mem OK. The memok button let's you reboot into the BIOS set up screen - that's why I used it. Nice feature. Mem cards all seated. There is a men. eror and failure to boot if mem cards aren't seated. This is something else.

I can get past POST to start of Win 8in DVD BUT then it takes literally hours for it to progress into install screen. I have unplugged everything including DROBO and eSATA drives, undid my RAID. BIOS LED says A0 - an IDE code. I don't have any IDE drives. Internal drives all register on BIOS.

I am mystified. Is this a hardware or software issue? Is it the MB?
m
l
March 7, 2013 1:40:44 AM

I tried Win 7. Same thing. It initially loads the files, goes to the setup screen and just stays there - little circle turning perpetually. The Q code on the MB goes through a sequence then to AE (legacy boot) until Win starts then A0 (initiating IDE). It then just stays there. Interesting - but frustrating! I've never seen the like of it (and hope I never see it again).
m
l
March 7, 2013 2:09:31 AM

sounds like a screwed everything.

I assume you're installing onto an SSD? I've had "dirty HDD" issues before that cause similar problems, but I'm not sure if SSD's can be "dirty". anyways, I'd suggest replacing out parts till you find one that doesn't work. try booting on one stick of ram each time, try replacing the mobo (if you have access to another one) try installing onto different SSD's and HDD's.

it sounds to me like a problem with the mobo.
m
l
March 7, 2013 10:19:36 AM

Thanks. Yes trying to install on an SSD. After leaving it running on Win 7 installation all night it finally got to the License Agreement screen. Now it's chugging through at the same pace on what drive I want to install Windows on. It's like a moth flying through molasses. But everything looks normal except for the extremely slow speed.
m
l
March 11, 2013 3:50:49 AM

So - here's an update. And following Carolkarine's advice was the way to go. It seems one of my hard drives was "bad". That is, when one of them is unplugged the system is able to boot normally. The SSD are fine. I had to reformat everything and reinstall Windows 8, but now everything is seemingly back to normal. I am sending the WD Black 3 TB drive back to Newegg for a replacement.

I am still finding all of this a little hard to fathom. It cost me a week of "dicking around". I know hard drives go bad some times, but this one started off fine.
m
l
March 11, 2013 3:54:41 AM

Anybody know anything about ASUS MB's? A new and annoying thing is that the time spent on POST has increased. When I go into BIOS I see a bunch of new directories in the BIOS including Lightroom catalogs and the like that live on my DROBO. How'd that happen? I guess it was the ASUS updater for Windows I installed. I suspect I need to clean this out somehow. I am also unable to update the BIOS to the latest version. Any guidance appreciated.
m
l
March 12, 2013 1:38:38 PM

glad I could help, but I have no ideas about this new problem.
m
l
March 15, 2013 3:55:31 PM

CarolKarine said:
glad I could help, but I have no ideas about this new problem.

So - running like a top after removing offending hard drive that caused the isse EXCEPT: now I get an HSM SINK APP error on shutdown now. The computer shuts down but I don't know how to fix the error. I am worried that this is a harbinger of bad things to come. MSFT site is NO HELP. Internet is of no help re Windows 8. Anyone know about this?
m
l
March 17, 2013 10:05:14 AM

I looked it up and it sounds like something that's telling you you're quitting with processes running. IDK, but if you already saved everything killing processes is cool.
m
l
March 18, 2013 3:00:53 AM

CarolKarine said:
I looked it up and it sounds like something that's telling you you're quitting with processes running. IDK, but if you already saved everything killing processes is cool.

Right. But what process? How to find out? Others have reported WLtray.exe - and indeed I have seen that error too. It was apparently solved by updating the driver for my Broadcom WiFi Bluetooth card. The HSM Sink continues. I have a Drobo S and a Startech 4 drive bay attached as well as a multicard reader. Detaching them doesn't obviate the error. The computer does shut down after splashing the error screen - and always seems to start. There are other "apps" running in the background too so I suppose I could start killing them one at a time. Still you'd think there would be a way to find out where this is coming from.

m
l
March 18, 2013 7:11:04 AM

No idea. I'm better at hardware troubleshooting.
m
l
April 8, 2013 4:03:43 PM

I am convinced it's coming from the wifi card. Everything works fine. Just get the error when I reboot or shut down. I guess I can live with it. But why should one have to "live with" anything? Just a philosophy I guess.
m
l
!