GPU Usage

Hello all,

First post here. I recently bought the GTX 670 MSI overclock one that toms hardware recommended. I have been noticing in Counter-Strike:Global Offensive my gpu usage is really low around 20 - 30% and I do not get the high fps I want even with everything on low. I get around 120 - 200 on all low.

My question is; Is my cpu bottlenecking my gpu. I currently have an AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4ghz quad core. I also play The War Z and also have only around 40 gpu usage. When I play Hitman Absoloution I will randomly sometimes get 90 gpu usage and the game will run fine, but it will dip down to around 50 alot and give me lower fps.

Should I upgrade??

A friend told me to buy these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131821
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116501
31 answers Last reply
More about usage
  1. 120 - 200 is way more than enough FPS.
    Yes, your CPU is bottlenecking your GPU.

What's your PSU? Are your temps normal?
  2. Thank you for the quick reply, I have a 750 watt Ultra power supply. Friends of mine have worse video cards and get 90 gpu usage in CSGO and get around 300 fps. Any fps beneath 128 fps makes your game not send the correct amount of packets on a 128 tick server and effects registration. Sometimes my cs dips to 100 even. I feel like it should be way higher. Are you 100% sure its a bottleneck, and if so what is a good cpu and mobo combo i should get?
  3. what you did was buy a $90 cpu with a $400 gpu and now your're paying the price
  4. :( I built this computer around 4 years ago, and this GPU was the first thing I updated. Do you guys suggest that I buy a new mobo and a new cpu? And what kinds?
  5. Skriptah said:
    :( I built this computer around 4 years ago, and this GPU was the first thing I updated. Do you guys suggest that I buy a new mobo and a new cpu? And what kinds?
    Depends, how much are you willing to spend on the CPU and mobo?
  6. The Cpu is very good.
    But get this Mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293
    You'll save up money.

And get a Good CPU Cooler with the saved Money. ;)

Even a i5 3570k is enough for gaming.
    But if you need i7 and have the money. No problems ;)
  7. Thank you, I'm pretty sure I have this cpu cooler right now. Do you think this is good? Also do you think my cpu is bottlenecking my gpu?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065
  8. Skriptah said:
    Thank you, I'm pretty sure I have this cpu cooler right now. Do you think this is good? Also do you think my cpu is bottlenecking my gpu?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065
    Yea that cooler is great
  9. Your Old CPU will surely Bottleneck any High-End card now in the Market.
    And that CPU Cooler is Very good.
  10. Thank you guys, do you guys know if maybe I should just buy the best amd cpu at the moment, or is it a better idea to switch mobos and go to an i7? My current mobo is MSI NF980-G65.
  11. Thats a AM3 Socket
    You'll not be able to Run FX processors even

So, you'll have to Upgrade to a i5\i7
    If you don't do Hardcore Software work, you don't need a i7
    i5 3570k is more than enough for Gaming.
  12. Sumukh_Bhagat said:
    Thats a AM3 Socket
    You'll not be able to Run FX processors even

So, you'll have to Upgrade to a i5\i7
    If you don't do Hardcore Software work, you don't need a i7
    i5 3570k is more than enough for Gaming.
    And if you want to save $30, go with the 3470. But keep in mind it's not overclockable.
  13. I agree with Sumukh_Bhagat that Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus is not suitable for Core i7 CPU if you wanna buy. Your should consider liquid cooling solution.
    As for the issue of low FPS, have you installed the up-to-date driver?
  14. Hi bill, yes, I have the most recent Nvidia Drivers, and I got no fps increase from older drivers. And sumukh Bhagat said that the cooler would be fine???
  15. You don't need Water Cooling at all.
    Even Hyper 212 Plus is enough for Mild Overclocking. And this is what most people do.
  16. Well I don't really plan on overclocking the i7 at all. I was thinking of overclocking my current cpu but I'm not sure of a good program to do it with.
  17. Skriptah said:
    Well I don't really plan on overclocking the i7 at all. I was thinking of overclocking my current cpu but I'm not sure of a good program to do it with.
    The safest way to overclock is through your BIOS. If you're BIOS doesn't let you do that, you can't overclock.
  18. Some one was telling me that it was most likely a bad card and I should return it!!! I don't know what to do guys. I dont want to have to spend 600 if I dont have too.
  19. Skriptah said:
    Some one was telling me that it was most likely a bad card and I should return it!!! I don't know what to do guys. I dont want to have to spend 600 if I dont have too.
    Run something like OCCT / Heaven (or any other GPU benchmark) for 4 hours and check the temps and clockspeed w/ Afterburner. Troubleshoot your system using Prime95 (4 - 24 hours)

You don't need 600 for a CPU and mobo, you could easily buy an i5 and a mobo for $300 or less.
  20. Correct I agree with E56 I'll show you what you could do as an example.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4-M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.98 @ Amazon)
    Total: $316.96
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-11 02:57 EST-0500)
  21. Also, you do need something a little more powering to handle your current card I would have to agree with the other posters within this thread. I have a 670 myself but I'm running on a i5 2500k.
  22. Okay thank you bigshootr I dont even need ram so it would be even cheaper then!!!
  23. Indeed if you have 8 gigs already then yea I'd say it would be even cheaper probably a bit cheaper then you had originally thought.
  24. Yea, I just want a cpu that will last longer than the one I have now, so if i got an i7 it would probably last way longer. I just downloaded the heaven benchmark and I will post the results here. What do you mean run it for 4 hours? And where do I find prime95 and how do i use it exactly?? I don't want to mess up my computer with all of these overclocking programs. Ty for your help.

Edit: So this was the result of my benchmark, my gpu usage went up really high and my clock got arround 1124mhz at the highest.

When playing the games I like csgo,warz,hitman absoloution the gpu usage struggles to get over 20-40% :(

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/8693/heavenbenchmark.png
  25. Well I wouldn't necessarily say that a i7 would last you longer in terms of gaming you won't get much added performance over something like a i5 3570k. Prime95 is a stability test on your system. It's what overclockers use to test whether or not there overclock is stable.

No stress test will tell you what you already know. Chances are you GPU isn't doing much because your CPU is holding it back. I also really dislike synthetic benchmarks because they aren't going to show you what you would experience in a real life application. Most people who really push hard on these benchmarks overclock to the point where bringing a stock GPU/CPU is pointless.
  26. Well my question is how come my gpu usage is so low in the games I play and in the benchmark it goes really high? Somebody was telling me that I had a faulty card, but my gpu usage seems to work and my core clock does go to what it is supposed to; so is it safe to assume that my gpu is fine and that it is my cpu bottle necking in some games? Because this guy is telling me to return the card, and that my cpu and setup are fine to run it as is.
  27. You could overclock and see if your usage goes up sure. Higher end GPU's tend to perform better with higher end CPU's your i5 2500k's i5 3570k's cards within that range. You aren't receiving bad frames. You just wont hit the cards potential with your current setup.
  28. I was just playing csgo and I had everything on high and my gpu usage was around 50% should it be higher than that?? Also my core clock was locked at 967 and it was not hitting the boost clock mhz. Does anyone know what it would do that?
  29. I wouldn't look at that to much I mean you are getting great frames for what you are doing. I would be concerned if you weren't. Your card probably isn't being pushed very hard with the games that you are playing CS:GO is very non intensive. I felt like source was more intensive then GO.
  30. I wouldn't recommend an Intel i7 if you don't have the money. I rather get an FX-8350/8320 or a 4th gen Core i5. Getting the FX-8350/8320 will save you money that you can spend on a good overclocking motherboard and a good liquid cooler, and then you can overclock the crap out of it. But if you don't want to overclock then I would recommend something like an i5-4570.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Overclocking GPUs Graphics Product