First Gaming PC, opinions please.

malakian

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
I need advice and opinions on this setup:

- Processor: Intel Core i5 3570k
- Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO Z77 LGA 1155 ATX (its OK right? to me, is like reading chinese)
- Memory: Knigston HyperX 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz (maybe 12 gb?)
- Video Card: Sapphire AMD Radeon HD7870.
- Power Supply: Corsair 850w TX850 (no idea if its wrong or right)
- Hard Drive: 500 GB (why more?)
- Computer Case: Coolmaster ATX HAF 912
- LG DVDRW

Do I need anything else on my setup or change something to be a good gaming PC?

Approximate Purchase Date: Sometime in March

Budget Range: max. US$1300

System Usage from Most to Least Importan t: Gaming!

Overclocking: Dont know what is this.

SLI or Crossfire: Dont know either.

Additional Comments: Im going to play Starcraft 2, FIFA games,Skyrim, and others. Not big fan of shooters games. I like RTS, Soccer games and RPG.

Thanks!!!

Approximate Purchase Date: Next two weeks.

Budget Range: (e.g.: 300-400) Before / After Rebates; Before / After Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (e.g.: Folding@Home, gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies)

Are you buying a monitor: Yes / No

Parts to Upgrade: (e.g.: CPU, mobo, RAM) **Include Power Supply Make & Model If Re-using**

Do you need to buy OS: Yes / No
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (e.g.: newegg.com, ncix.com -- to show us selection & pricing)

Location: City, State/Region, Country - we need to know where these parts are being assembled and whether there are good store-only deals available

Parts Preferences: by brand or type (e.g.: I would like to upgrade to Intel CPU)

Overclocking: Yes / No / Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Yes / No / Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: (e.g.: 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200 or if you're upgrading please state what you'd want to get)

Additional Comments: (e.g.: Need to have a window and lots of bling, I would like a quiet PC. Please also list specific software or games you're using)

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: (e.g. I'm having trouble running game X or my PSU broke)

Solution
When I mentioned making changes in the event you weren't going to do any OC'ing I had the exact same thing in mind that J_E_D said.

However, like he mentioned, you are well under budget so you could always just stick with Z77 and the 3570K so you'd at least have the option to do it later. If you were looking to save some money in your budget and had no plan to overclock, the H77/3470 option would be obvious (about $80 cheaper between CPU/mobo) but just because you have the 3570K doesn't mean you have to overclock it, the "K" series is just designed for it.

Also, what J_E_D said about CPU cooler is right, you really won't need it since no OC'ing and not using integrated graphics, but I wouldn't recommend OC'ing without one.

Let us...

sharkbyte5150

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Overall your choices were good but here's what I would go with...

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FvyF
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FvyF/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FvyF/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($31.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($55.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 330 Series 180GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($65.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($80.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $909.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-23 18:30 EST-0500)

Now, regarding your questions....

Overclocking is running the CPU at higher speeds than rated to maximize performance, and if you have no intention of doing that, I can already make a few other changes to that list.

SLI/Crossfire is running two video cards together

You don't really need a Z77 motherboard unless you intend to overclock, but the board I chose gives you that option with most of the same features as the pro version for less.

You really don't need an 850W power supply unless you intend to run in Crossfire/SLI, and the rated power usage for the list above is only ~400W.

As for hard drive, I'd use an SSD for boot drive and then a large 2nd drive for long-term storage (pics, videos).
If you keep a large library of music files and pictures or videos, I'd recommend the 1TB but you said "why more" so if you don't think you'll be storing a lot of files, just get the 500GB version of the drive I chose but keep the SSD clean (only program files, applications). SSD's give your system a huge boost in overall speed for everyday tasks (file transfer, boot time, game/application load time).

Since you classify this as mostly for gaming, I chose the 7950 over the 7870 because the 2 most important parts in a gamer are CPU and graphics.

Any questions?

If you are not overclocking can drop to a 3470 CPU and a H77 pr B75 mobo (see this for what has which features http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155). You can also drop the Evo CPU cooler.

BUT, since this is well within your budget already I strongly suggest you think a little about overclocking. It's not the voodoo it used to be. Very simple (one setting change if you want basic overclock), safe, and adds value to your CPU.

sharkbyte5150

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
When I mentioned making changes in the event you weren't going to do any OC'ing I had the exact same thing in mind that J_E_D said.

However, like he mentioned, you are well under budget so you could always just stick with Z77 and the 3570K so you'd at least have the option to do it later. If you were looking to save some money in your budget and had no plan to overclock, the H77/3470 option would be obvious (about $80 cheaper between CPU/mobo) but just because you have the 3570K doesn't mean you have to overclock it, the "K" series is just designed for it.

Also, what J_E_D said about CPU cooler is right, you really won't need it since no OC'ing and not using integrated graphics, but I wouldn't recommend OC'ing without one.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Solution