Sign in with
Your question

GTX 670 Strange OC Behaviors

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 6, 2013 3:50:08 AM

More than likely im guessing i didnt get that great of a card. its a gigabyte gtx 670 2gb. i have a very small kepler boost of around 35mhz. im trying to find my max core overclock using evga precision x and heaven benchmark. i set the voltage to max (1.175) and power target to max (112%) so far all my monitoring charts are completely straight when benchmarking. my temps never go over 55C and my power target is always below 80%. everything other than my kepler boost seems fine. im able to add +111 to the core which gives me about 1201mhz max core. but when i take it to +121, heaven crashes even though all my monitoring charts are stable. i have no idea why it would crash when everything seems to be running fine. im using latest drivers (310.70).
January 6, 2013 4:08:30 AM

BigMack70 said:
Sounds like you're just above your max OC at that point...

How am I at my max oc with only 1200 core and less than an 80% power target. Isn't there something else I can do to bring it higher? Nothing is throttling
m
l
January 6, 2013 12:27:57 PM

BigMack70 said:
Wait do you have your power target SET to 80%? Because if so, you need to increase that to over 100%.

Anyways, your chip at some point just won't be able to clock any higher on air cooling, and it's not really predictable where that point will be - it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with what power target it can achieve.

Power target is set to 112% and there isn't any problems with my air cooling because I'm never even close to 60c
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2013 12:41:16 PM

Its not that bad, a common OC for a 670 is 1250.
m
l
January 6, 2013 1:06:55 PM

BigMack70 said:
Yeah it just sounds like you're at your max OC. Your maximum OC is not the clock at which your chip hits a certain power usage or temperature level... your maximum OC is when your card starts crashing at any clock speed above <x> level, which is where it sounds like you're at.

Another similar example: both of my Lightnings allow me to increase voltage up to 1.3V. However, my maximum OC on both cards is found around the 1.22V level. Now, at first glance that may seem wrong - it would make sense that further increasing voltages would allow for higher clock speeds. But that's just not how overclocking works - your chip just eventually won't clock any higher on air cooling.

But the only reason for water cooling is better temps and temps are the least of my problems right now. How about using the Kepler golden bios mod?
m
l
January 6, 2013 1:09:31 PM

cookybiscuit said:
Its not that bad, a common OC for a 670 is 1250.

I know and I'm barely at 1200, not to mention my Kepler boost is around 35mhz which is unheard of low
m
l
January 8, 2013 2:12:25 AM

Best answer selected by awhiteguy.
m
l
!