DVD's and Sims 2 are not being read on my disc drive

My computer is having trouble reading DVDs and the PC game Sims 2. When I
check on My Computer to see if the drive is reading it, no icon of any sort
appears, and also, I cannot hear the disc drive booting up when it normally
reads a disc. However, it reads music cd's, and it read a Norton Antivirus
disc. WHat can I do to get my computer to recognize Sims 2 and other dvds?
6 answers Last reply
More about sims read disc drive

    Silly question, but does your computer have a combination DVD/CD-ROM drive?
    CD-only drives do not read DVDs. If you open Windows Explorer, can you
    browse to the drive and see the contents? Can you go to Start/Run and use
    Browse to view the DVD?
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    "Kari" <Kari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My computer is having trouble reading DVDs and the PC game Sims 2. When I
    > check on My Computer to see if the drive is reading it, no icon of any
    > sort
    > appears, and also, I cannot hear the disc drive booting up when it
    > normally
    > reads a disc. However, it reads music cd's, and it read a Norton
    > Antivirus
    > disc. WHat can I do to get my computer to recognize Sims 2 and other
    > dvds?

    My computer is a combo drive so it should be able to read DVD's. I have
    tried several times to browse the drive and nothing shows up. I have also
    gone to start/run and again nothing shows. My main problem right now is that
    the Sims 2 disc is not being read by my disc drive. The thing that is making
    no sense to me is the fact that I have had the Sims 2 disc loaded onto my
    computer and have been able to play but now all of the sudden the disc won't
    be read. When the disc would no longer be read, I removed the Sims 2 and
    tried to reload it but it will not read the disc at all. I just am wondering
    what is going on with my discs or with my computer that is making this not
    work????

    "Chris H." wrote:

    > Silly question, but does your computer have a combination DVD/CD-ROM drive?
    > CD-only drives do not read DVDs. If you open Windows Explorer, can you
    > browse to the drive and see the contents? Can you go to Start/Run and use
    > Browse to view the DVD?
    > --
    > Chris H.
    > Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    > Associate Expert
    >

    > "Kari" <Kari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My computer is having trouble reading DVDs and the PC game Sims 2. When I
    > > check on My Computer to see if the drive is reading it, no icon of any
    > > sort
    > > appears, and also, I cannot hear the disc drive booting up when it
    > > normally
    > > reads a disc. However, it reads music cd's, and it read a Norton
    > > Antivirus
    > > disc. WHat can I do to get my computer to recognize Sims 2 and other
    > > dvds?

    Hi Kari,

    To isolate whether it's the DVD or the DVD Drive,
    test your DVD in another computer equipped with
    a DVD Drive to see if you can browse the DVD.

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "Kari" <Kari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FB5FFA48-9F55-4E8B-AC5B-3D6D6F7D66E3@microsoft.com...
    | My computer is a combo drive so it should be able to read DVD's. I have
    | tried several times to browse the drive and nothing shows up. I have also
    | gone to start/run and again nothing shows. My main problem right now is that
    | the Sims 2 disc is not being read by my disc drive. The thing that is making
    | no sense to me is the fact that I have had the Sims 2 disc loaded onto my
    | computer and have been able to play but now all of the sudden the disc won't
    | be read. When the disc would no longer be read, I removed the Sims 2 and
    | tried to reload it but it will not read the disc at all. I just am wondering
    | what is going on with my discs or with my computer that is making this not
    | work????
    |
    | "Chris H." wrote:
    |
    | > Silly question, but does your computer have a combination DVD/CD-ROM drive?
    | > CD-only drives do not read DVDs. If you open Windows Explorer, can you
    | > browse to the drive and see the contents? Can you go to Start/Run and use
    | > Browse to view the DVD?
    | > --
    | > Chris H.
    | > Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    | > Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
    | > Associate Expert
    | > Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    | >

    | > "Kari" <Kari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > > My computer is having trouble reading DVDs and the PC game Sims 2. When I
    | > > check on My Computer to see if the drive is reading it, no icon of any
    | > > sort
    | > > appears, and also, I cannot hear the disc drive booting up when it
    | > > normally
    | > > reads a disc. However, it reads music cd's, and it read a Norton
    | > > Antivirus
    | > > disc. WHat can I do to get my computer to recognize Sims 2 and other
    | > > dvds?

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    I tried my Sims 2 disc on another computer with a dvd-rw/cd-rw combo drive
    and it worked on that computer. I have a Sony combo drive and I am using an
    Dell Inspirion 6000 and I just got it 2 weeks ago and all of the sudden the
    Sims 2 isnt working, along with DVD's. What I dont understand is why in the
    heck my Norton AntiVirus would be read but nothing else can read on my disc
    drive. Is there any way to fix this? Do I need to call my Dell Tech.
    Support or what? Im getting a little frustrated since this computer is brand
    new and it is already having problems!!

    "Jimmy S." wrote:

    > Hi Kari,
    >
    > To isolate whether it's the DVD or the DVD Drive,
    > test your DVD in another computer equipped with
    > a DVD Drive to see if you can browse the DVD.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    > MS Games Help and Support Center: http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=gms
    >
    > "Kari" <Kari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FB5FFA48-9F55-4E8B-AC5B-3D6D6F7D66E3@microsoft.com...
    > | My computer is a combo drive so it should be able to read DVD's. I have
    > | tried several times to browse the drive and nothing shows up. I have also
    > | gone to start/run and again nothing shows. My main problem right now is that
    > | the Sims 2 disc is not being read by my disc drive. The thing that is making
    > | no sense to me is the fact that I have had the Sims 2 disc loaded onto my
    > | computer and have been able to play but now all of the sudden the disc won't
    > | be read. When the disc would no longer be read, I removed the Sims 2 and
    > | tried to reload it but it will not read the disc at all. I just am wondering
    > | what is going on with my discs or with my computer that is making this not
    > | work????
    > |
    > | "Chris H." wrote:
    > |
    > | > Silly question, but does your computer have a combination DVD/CD-ROM drive?
    > | > CD-only drives do not read DVDs. If you open Windows Explorer, can you
    > | > browse to the drive and see the contents? Can you go to Start/Run and use
    > | > Browse to view the DVD?
    > | > --
    > | > Chris H.
    > | > Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    > | > Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
    > | > Associate Expert
    > | > Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > | >

    > | > "Kari" <Kari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.games (More info?)

    Hi Kari,

    If the system is under DELL Warranty being only two weeks
    old, then definitely call them up and have them troubleshoot
    the problem for you. I might be a driver or simple setting. :-)

    --

    "Kari" <Kari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F9DB8D73-BD67-478B-AC71-E70AB0C4248C@microsoft.com...
    |I tried my Sims 2 disc on another computer with a dvd-rw/cd-rw combo drive
    | and it worked on that computer. I have a Sony combo drive and I am using an
    | Dell Inspirion 6000 and I just got it 2 weeks ago and all of the sudden the
    | Sims 2 isnt working, along with DVD's. What I dont understand is why in the
    | heck my Norton AntiVirus would be read but nothing else can read on my disc
    | drive. Is there any way to fix this? Do I need to call my Dell Tech.
    | Support or what? Im getting a little frustrated since this computer is brand
    | new and it is already having problems!!
    |
    | "Jimmy S." wrote:
    |
    | > Hi Kari,
    | >
    | > To isolate whether it's the DVD or the DVD Drive,
    | > test your DVD in another computer equipped with
    | > a DVD Drive to see if you can browse the DVD.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    | >
    | > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
    | > MS Games Help and Support Center: http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=gms
    | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    | >
    | > "Kari" <Kari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FB5FFA48-9F55-4E8B-AC5B-3D6D6F7D66E3@microsoft.com...
    | > | My computer is a combo drive so it should be able to read DVD's. I have
    | > | tried several times to browse the drive and nothing shows up. I have also
    | > | gone to start/run and again nothing shows. My main problem right now is that
    | > | the Sims 2 disc is not being read by my disc drive. The thing that is making
    | > | no sense to me is the fact that I have had the Sims 2 disc loaded onto my
    | > | computer and have been able to play but now all of the sudden the disc won't
    | > | be read. When the disc would no longer be read, I removed the Sims 2 and
    | > | tried to reload it but it will not read the disc at all. I just am wondering
    | > | what is going on with my discs or with my computer that is making this not
    | > | work????
    | > |
    | > | "Chris H." wrote:
    | > |
> [...]