DVD's and Sims 2 are not being read on my disc drive

Tags:
  • Sims
  • Computers
  • Windows XP
June 19, 2005 1:11:02 AM

My computer is having trouble reading DVDs and the PC game Sims 2. When I
check on My Computer to see if the drive is reading it, no icon of any sort
appears, and also, I cannot hear the disc drive booting up when it normally
reads a disc. However, it reads music cd's, and it read a Norton Antivirus
disc. WHat can I do to get my computer to recognize Sims 2 and other dvds?

More about : dvd sims read disc drive

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 1:26:16 AM

Silly question, but does your computer have a combination DVD/CD-ROM drive?
CD-only drives do not read DVDs. If you open Windows Explorer, can you
browse to the drive and see the contents? Can you go to Start/Run and use
Browse to view the DVD?
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"Kari" <Kari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer is having trouble reading DVDs and the PC game Sims 2. When I
> check on My Computer to see if the drive is reading it, no icon of any
> sort
> appears, and also, I cannot hear the disc drive booting up when it
> normally
> reads a disc. However, it reads music cd's, and it read a Norton
> Antivirus
> disc. WHat can I do to get my computer to recognize Sims 2 and other
> dvds?
June 19, 2005 12:33:01 PM

My computer is a combo drive so it should be able to read DVD's. I have
tried several times to browse the drive and nothing shows up. I have also
gone to start/run and again nothing shows. My main problem right now is that
the Sims 2 disc is not being read by my disc drive. The thing that is making
no sense to me is the fact that I have had the Sims 2 disc loaded onto my
computer and have been able to play but now all of the sudden the disc won't
be read. When the disc would no longer be read, I removed the Sims 2 and
tried to reload it but it will not read the disc at all. I just am wondering
what is going on with my discs or with my computer that is making this not
work????

"Chris H." wrote:

> Silly question, but does your computer have a combination DVD/CD-ROM drive?
> CD-only drives do not read DVDs. If you open Windows Explorer, can you
> browse to the drive and see the contents? Can you go to Start/Run and use
> Browse to view the DVD?
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "Kari" <Kari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My computer is having trouble reading DVDs and the PC game Sims 2. When I
> > check on My Computer to see if the drive is reading it, no icon of any
> > sort
> > appears, and also, I cannot hear the disc drive booting up when it
> > normally
> > reads a disc. However, it reads music cd's, and it read a Norton
> > Antivirus
> > disc. WHat can I do to get my computer to recognize Sims 2 and other
> > dvds?

June 19, 2005 6:34:05 PM

Hi Kari,

To isolate whether it's the DVD or the DVD Drive,
test your DVD in another computer equipped with
a DVD Drive to see if you can browse the DVD.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

"Kari" <Kari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FB5FFA48-9F55-4E8B-AC5B-3D6D6F7D66E3@microsoft.com...
| My computer is a combo drive so it should be able to read DVD's. I have
| tried several times to browse the drive and nothing shows up. I have also
| gone to start/run and again nothing shows. My main problem right now is that
| the Sims 2 disc is not being read by my disc drive. The thing that is making
| no sense to me is the fact that I have had the Sims 2 disc loaded onto my
| computer and have been able to play but now all of the sudden the disc won't
| be read. When the disc would no longer be read, I removed the Sims 2 and
| tried to reload it but it will not read the disc at all. I just am wondering
| what is going on with my discs or with my computer that is making this not
| work????
|
| "Chris H." wrote:
|
| > Silly question, but does your computer have a combination DVD/CD-ROM drive?
| > CD-only drives do not read DVDs. If you open Windows Explorer, can you
| > browse to the drive and see the contents? Can you go to Start/Run and use
| > Browse to view the DVD?
| > --
| > Chris H.
| > Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
| > Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
| > Associate Expert
| > Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
| >

| > "Kari" <Kari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > > My computer is having trouble reading DVDs and the PC game Sims 2. When I
| > > check on My Computer to see if the drive is reading it, no icon of any
| > > sort
| > > appears, and also, I cannot hear the disc drive booting up when it
| > > normally
| > > reads a disc. However, it reads music cd's, and it read a Norton
| > > Antivirus
| > > disc. WHat can I do to get my computer to recognize Sims 2 and other
| > > dvds?

June 19, 2005 9:08:02 PM

I tried my Sims 2 disc on another computer with a dvd-rw/cd-rw combo drive
and it worked on that computer. I have a Sony combo drive and I am using an
Dell Inspirion 6000 and I just got it 2 weeks ago and all of the sudden the
Sims 2 isnt working, along with DVD's. What I dont understand is why in the
heck my Norton AntiVirus would be read but nothing else can read on my disc
drive. Is there any way to fix this? Do I need to call my Dell Tech.
Support or what? Im getting a little frustrated since this computer is brand
new and it is already having problems!!

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Kari,
>
> To isolate whether it's the DVD or the DVD Drive,
> test your DVD in another computer equipped with
> a DVD Drive to see if you can browse the DVD.
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

> MS Games Help and Support Center: http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=gms
>
> "Kari" <Kari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FB5FFA48-9F55-4E8B-AC5B-3D6D6F7D66E3@microsoft.com...
> | My computer is a combo drive so it should be able to read DVD's. I have
> | tried several times to browse the drive and nothing shows up. I have also
> | gone to start/run and again nothing shows. My main problem right now is that
> | the Sims 2 disc is not being read by my disc drive. The thing that is making
> | no sense to me is the fact that I have had the Sims 2 disc loaded onto my
> | computer and have been able to play but now all of the sudden the disc won't
> | be read. When the disc would no longer be read, I removed the Sims 2 and
> | tried to reload it but it will not read the disc at all. I just am wondering
> | what is going on with my discs or with my computer that is making this not
> | work????
> |
> | "Chris H." wrote:
> |
> | > Silly question, but does your computer have a combination DVD/CD-ROM drive?
> | > CD-only drives do not read DVDs. If you open Windows Explorer, can you
> | > browse to the drive and see the contents? Can you go to Start/Run and use
> | > Browse to view the DVD?
> | > --
> | > Chris H.
> | > Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> | > Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
> | > Associate Expert
> | > Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> | >

> | > "Kari" <Kari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 1:44:55 AM

Hi Kari,

If the system is under DELL Warranty being only two weeks
old, then definitely call them up and have them troubleshoot
the problem for you. I might be a driver or simple setting. :-)

--

"Kari" <Kari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F9DB8D73-BD67-478B-AC71-E70AB0C4248C@microsoft.com...
|I tried my Sims 2 disc on another computer with a dvd-rw/cd-rw combo drive
| and it worked on that computer. I have a Sony combo drive and I am using an
| Dell Inspirion 6000 and I just got it 2 weeks ago and all of the sudden the
| Sims 2 isnt working, along with DVD's. What I dont understand is why in the
| heck my Norton AntiVirus would be read but nothing else can read on my disc
| drive. Is there any way to fix this? Do I need to call my Dell Tech.
| Support or what? Im getting a little frustrated since this computer is brand
| new and it is already having problems!!
|
| "Jimmy S." wrote:
|
| > Hi Kari,
| >
| > To isolate whether it's the DVD or the DVD Drive,
| > test your DVD in another computer equipped with
| > a DVD Drive to see if you can browse the DVD.
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
| > MS Games Help and Support Center: http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=gms
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| >
| > "Kari" <Kari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FB5FFA48-9F55-4E8B-AC5B-3D6D6F7D66E3@microsoft.com...
| > | My computer is a combo drive so it should be able to read DVD's. I have
| > | tried several times to browse the drive and nothing shows up. I have also
| > | gone to start/run and again nothing shows. My main problem right now is that
| > | the Sims 2 disc is not being read by my disc drive. The thing that is making
| > | no sense to me is the fact that I have had the Sims 2 disc loaded onto my
| > | computer and have been able to play but now all of the sudden the disc won't
| > | be read. When the disc would no longer be read, I removed the Sims 2 and
| > | tried to reload it but it will not read the disc at all. I just am wondering
| > | what is going on with my discs or with my computer that is making this not
| > | work????
| > |
| > | "Chris H." wrote:
| > |
> [...]